• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

My 125

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis Frisk

I will get at the timing in the am, since I got power to the coil I think It has to be the points. I will redo the static timing and see what happens . I have a gas leak on the bowl and have to snug that up . I would like to have it running so I can re torque the head and install the tin. I will get it done , my neck pain only lets me do so much at one time. I`am slow as cold molasses .
coffee.gif

Don --I'm glad you got your voltage regulator issue resolved (for now), I imagine that if you have it hooked up correctly your battery will charge, and the lights (if you have them) will work. (The main issue with the lights, other than the wiring, is the switch.)
happy.gif

Edit: Voltage Regulator issue was posted on the main forum page 3/14/12 through 3/16/12.

I Had an oil leak from the pan gasket .

236725.jpg

So out with the 12 K .

236726.jpg

Today it went back in and got spark but no start.

236727.jpg

That is it for today
bash.gif

I have the back wheels on stands just in case it started and wanted to run away. I don`t know if the hydro is set up at neutral . Safety first
1a_scratchhead.gif

Don,
(If i may ask) what did you use to paint the grille? that looks rather sharp.

Charles Matthew Wayne Krill

I used Tremclad black rust paint in a spray can for the grill.My refurb is going a lot slower than I had hopes.I will have to start mowing grass here in a few days.I like to cut it hight for a few cuttings,I find the lawn will fill in better and gets thicker.I would never do a full restore on my tractors that I plan on using as workers.I have five I can use any day they are needed , great fun.

Well the 12 K runs nice; It started yesterday for the first time. I ran it a little and today I will dial it in for wot and get the idle set.I had trouble with point timing and have it set at 14 . No were near the 20 that is written in the faq.
1a_scratchhead.gif
I did install a point saver and new coil and points. carb was gon over and rebuilt. Now I need to get the tin for the fenders and seat ,hood ect out of my shed to finish it. I do have a mower deck to install.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4cvmjqHL0E&feature=youtu.be

Don- It is probably just the video...but is that a miss or a surge I hear while its running?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Maybe it's just my bad hearing...
But, good progress and I hope you get it ready for spring mowing season!

Ryan - yes I heard the same miss you mentioned. I sorta related it to initial start up and run. Don mentioned something about dialing in WOT and idle so I'm guessing/hoping for his sake it's a carb adjustment.

Don - any comments on the miss? After you got the carb adjusted are you gonna post another video?

Well "OUT" the 125 engine comes. I set the Valves on my Diesel just to get away from it. BDT and now I`am getting read to pull it.No more smoke breaks till it is on the table !
bash.gif

I did get a lot done that allways seeems to need attention. It does charge and the tractor willl move at idle. bai !

the 12 K is out . I started after lunch .

254101.jpg

and 1.5 hrs to get it here. I`am old I take many breaks. Time to pull the base pan .
bash.gif

254102.jpg

I blocked it up so I could remove the base pan. and I`am no father ahead. I used this mark to reference the dot on the cam. I don`t think it is off a tooth
bash.gif

254111.jpg

254112.jpg

Don-

It doesn't look like it was off from your pic. The tooth you're pointing to with the pencil goes in the tooth slot with the dot (again, as it appears you had).

You might as well check everything else while you're in there like endplay, etc.

Keep at it and quit beatin' your head on the bench.

Wayne Shytle

Well I guess I might as well put this base pan back on and put the engine back into the 125.I tested the trimming with a meeter and I`am getting spark at the "S" mark on the blower housing. I wonder if I should pull that to see if the key is in place. I`am lost as to what else it could be. Before I pulled the engine I was getting a pop back through the carb with it set up per the manual instructions. I guess it can`t hurt at this point. might know I would have a difficult one . Just my luck .

Any ideas on what could be happening ;causing my no run when using the "S" mark to time this 12 K ????????
1a_scratchhead.gif

Don-

It wouldn't hurt to check the flywheel key but I doubt that's the problem. I think the flywheel would be loose to a degree if so. You just recently reassembled this engine and you would have seen keyway problems I'm sure. Another thing to check since you're in it this far would be the valves again just to make sure and eliminate as the source.

You're getting there! (so don't give up and park it out back)

Wayne ; I will check that key also. I have decided to remove the plastic governor gear and install a metal gear I have here. I did have a issue with a new plastic governor gear on my 149 and had to install the old gear to get it working. So while I have it out of the tractor I might as well install it; can`t hurt.

Don T - I see Mike Frade was wondering about the status of this engine. I think he posted over in the regular Forum thread. I'm somewhat in agreement with him and what someone else said, and wonder if you tore into the insides before fully checking the externals, or even checking both valves with the head removed.

I removed the valve cover and checked the valve lash and I have 9 intake and 18 exhaust. I now have metal governor gear with washer installed. I `am now replacing the cam cover and installing the base pan.I will soon put the 12 k back into my 125. I`am a little bummed that nothing appeared to be off what the manual says . GGGRRRRR

254204.jpg

254205.jpg

The last thing to check was to see if the flywheel key was in place ; and I see it is. sure takes some time to post all these pictures. But I know we like pictures .
thumbsup_old.gif

254208.jpg

1a_scratchhead.gif
I hope this runs good now.

Don, have you verified that both valves are seated? No bit of carbon or something holding one open just a bit?

Mike Frade

Both valves and guides are new . I did roll it off the arc to see if the valve would fall and it did so I think it is closed when set. I`am bolting it back in now and hope to have it running before long.

Latest posts

Back