• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

My 125

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there will be a Carb in the woods behind my house today GRRRR. I took the Carb all apart and sprayed it with Carb cleaner.Blew every thing out with high pressure air. The 125 started up and I set the idle . when I try to get it over a fast idle it will die.playing with the governor rod I can get it reeving but blowing black smoke Turning in or out on the high speed jet does not seem to have any affect.
1a_scratchhead.gif

I blew air through the high speed needle so I know it is not plugged. but I think I will replace it and see if that has any affect .

Don-

Try taking just the high speed needle from another carb and see if that does anything. The shaft of the needle itself could be clogged up.

Just a thought...

Gol-darn it Don - I doubt it's the high speed needle itself, but unless you got a fine needle tip to blow the air thru it then air alone ain't gonna work. I still think you've got an blockage internal to the carb. One of those fine little holes is blocked up. You didn't say anything about running a fine wire thru them. I believe Wayne even told you to do that. Put that wire thru every hole you can find. Put it thru the idle speed screw hole. Put it thru the little holes along the top inside of the carb. I can't remember where all the holes are. There is a good size hole on the choke butterfly side, (on the right at 3 o'clock) that is an air passage leading in and if you spray carb cleaner thru it, I believe the cleaner will come thru a top hole inside the carb. If you don't see it come out inside then you have a blockage some place there. Get those dang holes cleaned out. You've got to have something stuck some place inside the carb. You're gonna have to push it, rub it, break it off, and once it's loose inside the passages you'll be able to blow it out, work it out, wear it out. I don't know if you'll be able to unscrew the main jet but I'd also give that a try. I've only seen it done once using a cutting torch and that scared me since I thought the whole carb would just melt away, but if you're careful and kinda wave the torch across the stem and point it up at the jet thru the bottom you may find you can eventually unscrew it. If you can get it out then you are really getting inside the carb. With the point you're at what can it hurt - it's an option before you go throwing the dang thing into the woods.

Harry-

Don has told me he installed a new high speed jet. That's why I suggested the cleaning of the high speed needle or trying a different needle altogether. I feel there is a small knat hair stuck somewhere in one of the little orifices somewhere. He's having problems with the high speed side of things here so the needle would be a good place to start.

According to Brian Miller your symptoms of troubles on the high speed circuit can be caused by (among other things you've checked out already), most likely causes listed first:

"*Partially clogged main nozzle/jet in the carburetor. Solution: remove the carburetor, then remove the float bowl, and use an acetylene welding tip cleaner (available at most welding supply stores) or a very small drill bit to clear out the dried gas and/or dirt from the main nozzle/jet hole. Be careful not to enlarge the hole, or the engine will run rich on fuel! Then use compressed air [150± psi] to clear the debris from the nozzle/jet hole. When using a welding tip cleaner or small drill bit, use one that just fits! Don't force it through the jet, or the hole will be made too large and the engine will run rich on fuel.

*Worn throttle shaft.

*Clogged vent hole in gas cap.

*Vacuum leak where the carburetor fastens to the engine block. Solution: First check if the carburetor mounting flange is warped. Use a flat belt or disc sander or a piece of sandpaper placed on a flat surface and rub the carburetor back and forth on it. If the flange is warped, it'll make contact where the bolt holes are, but not in the middle.
. . .
*Make sure the small hole just beneath the choke plate is clear. It needs to go all the way to the main jet. Spray some WD40 or carburetor cleaner (in an aerosol spray can) in the hole and see if it comes out the main jet."

Brian is a controversial person, but he has a lot of experience working on these engines, particularly the carburetors. Just thought I would support Harry's contention that the problem may be in the main jet, and that the hole by the choke plate is important. In other words, Harry also seems to know what he's talking about. If I can get two independent witnesses to agree, I generally listen a bit harder.

However, there does come a point where throwing it in the woods is better for both parties.
smile.gif

Thanks guys; I Have not given up on the Carb yet. I will get some cleaner and give it a soak before I throw it in the woods behind my shop.
lol.gif

The last pieces of my 125 refurb is coming together , I took the fenders and some other tin to a friend to have them glass blasted .I want to install the sub frame for the mower deck and put in the rebuilt PTO in the am.

Then a 102 will be next with a creeper.

Don, At least that way you may still get a little use out of it....some of tha cleaner may run out and kill a few weeds on the way down to the ground!!....or it amybe even land on a mouse!

Dave S.

Well the carb issue was a small hole that took awhile for the float to fill with gas and affect the carb settings. today i installed the PTO locking collar and PTO. I still need to install the second set of set screws ; but I know I can add them later.

255333.jpg

I can`t believe I took the time to paint that SG PTO basket only to knock the paint off in so many places after it was painted.
bash.gif

Don-

The pto looks great! Now you need to get some 1200* flat black barbeque paint and paint that muffler. I've done several and it does make them look a lot nicer. I guess they might offer the 1200* in a silver or gray as well.

Wayne - I agree with ya on painting the muffler. Not sure if the grey/silver is in 1200* but even 500* to 600* will last a long time. Adds a whole lot to the looks - and you know, if the tractor looks better then it gets taken care of better as well.
Don - you gonna take up Wayne's suggestion?

I will have a look to see if I do have some barbeque black paint here. Ge you guys are getting fussy ! This will be a worker and just a refurbish and I never intended it to be any ways near a show tractor. I don`t think IH built them with show in mind .
beerchug.gif

I put the hood on my 125 this morning and can`t waite for the rest of the tin to get painted.

255481.jpg

and paint the front wheels. Some day I will have this cutting grass.

Dan - looking goog. When you paint the muffler with that BBQ black suggested by Wayne, why don't you use some on the foot rests as well (and cover that overspray).

Mike - thanks ,it does now run nice. I spent my day today painting the foot plates and adjusting the front wheels to track correctly! As soon as it warms up here that the snow is gone I will get my loader out of the shed so I can get the 125 sub frame out to install. I just have to paint the parts that the sand blaster has and then I will be done.. for a few years I hope .I still have two tractors to put back to run and working order. All in good time .

Had a good day yesterday glass blasting till we ran out of material.Got the 125 rims blasted and seat tin; today fenders and 1512 rear fenders.The newer compressor will keep up with the blaster and hold 75 psi. It works a lot better that my last compressor.I will soon be spraying yellow paint .

Donald - that 125 is lookin good!! Just wanted to mention that I've been using VHT silver caliper paint (900 deg.) and really like. Really smooth and hopefully durable. Supposed to bake at 200 deg. but will supposedly cure on its own in time. Got any Rock lobster up that way? Hey - before I forget - were the pto's originally white? I know the pto basket pulleys were yellow but not 100% certain about actual pto. Have a good Easter and glad you're getting some better weather. Enjoy it!!

Front wheels saw some paint ; The weather here is still cold and damp and hard to find good times to paint. soon I hope .

256912.jpg

Back