• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Jeeps

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KENDELL - I know the info Your asking for is available, I saw an article in Hot Rod Mag. 20-25 years ago with the flange-flange widths for 9" axles and I'm sure the info is avail. for the 8.8" also, maybe somplace like CURRIE or MOSER would have it on their wedsite.

But since You already have the 9", and several center sections I think I'd keep the 9", Ford Motorsport and the aftermarket actually still supports the 9" axles really well. There's disc brake kits for them available. As well as the largest range of axle ratios of ANY axle ever made. Motorsport alone offers ratios from the low to mid 2.XX range up to 6.50:1 if I remember right. That little pilot bearing on the gear end of the pinion really helps the 9" live.

If You don't need to do anything to the center sections there really isn't much left to rebuild in a 9", I seem to remember all their axles were retained by the outer bearings. I'd have to check my '78 F-series service manuals to be sure.

With the axle out of a vehicle, rebuilding the axle & installing the center section would be about a "12-pack job" for Son. He's built THOUSANDS of industrial gearboxes, and a few auto. rear axles that have handled WAY more abuse than they had any right to survive.

There was also a newer issue of HotRod or Car Craft the had a big article that covered every major axle made with specs on them and how to identify each one. I had it saved with all the good tech articles they wrote up but when I figured I was out of muscle cars and hot rods for good I recycled them all.
flame.gif

Brendan:
I just (last week) tossed 20+ years of Hot Rod + 10 years (90's) of Street Rodder, Custom Rodder and Truckin'... I kept my collection of Rod and Custom (starts with it's 1989 rebirth) and all of my Cycle World - back to the late 80's (actually Cycle in the 80's till they went under and I became a Cycle World subscriber automatically). I DID save any mag that had a 9" article in it, I'll have to look at them again.

Dennis:
The pigs I've got are from Ford E series vans, I may have to get matching axles, as the '57 used the older course spline (I can't remember right now if the pigs are 28 or 32). A disk brake kit would cost as much as a complete later rear end..... One humorous problem is there's no drain or fill bung on the 9" assembly, as the early rear end had 'em on the pig and the later had 'em on the housing. No problem for the Big Blue tigger...

I'm not sure why it matters, but I found this info on 'another' site and thought I would share it...
happy.gif

The axle shaft strength tested by Warn Ind:
F.M.C.8.8= 6,500 (lb. ft.)
Dana 4 4 = 4,600-5,000 (lb. ft.)
Dana 35C= 4,000-4,300 (lb. ft.)

COT: Continuous output torque rating
MOT: Maximum output torque rating

(Numbers from January edition of Fourwheeler, page 60.)
Dana 35 rear axle COT: 870 MOT: 3480
Dana 44 rear axle COT: 1100 MOT: 4460
Ford 8.8 28spline COT: 1250 MOT: 4600
Ford 8.8 31spline COT: 1360 MOT: 5100
Dana60 semifloat COT: 1500 MOT: 5500

Art, was there any similar data for the Ford 9"? Obviously it's going to vary with axle shaft size. I know there was 31 & 28 spline. Wasn't there a smaller one also, aside from the older square cut splines?

Saw this on a gun forum of all places: Todays date looks like the grill of a Jeep <font size="+2">(011110)</font>, so It's Jeep Day!
happy.gif

Bump:
Don T. parted with his Cherokee Sport which (in Don's way) he'd added improvements for both better mileage and better ride. Our '98 could use a dose of both. Looking for suggestions. (I should write down what Don tells me). He sure can talk!!
happy.gif

Art, yeah. I know Don's recommended a reusable air filter (KN?), and I'm sure there's all-weather tires that would be better than the 6 plys that are on mine now. It's a '98 Cherokee Sport, auto, with the 4.0 Six and doesn't see much of the woods roads these days. It'll get 19-20 mpg on a trip, not much less than that running around. It's a keeper, although I'm on the lookout for the right 2001, the last year of the 4.0. Hauling the 10' landscape trailer sure cuts the mileage - that rear tailgate/ramp is like towing an open parachute!
happy.gif

Frank

I got 24 with my Jeep on a trip. The KN filter and added platinum spark plugs . The plugs added the extra mpg and I also add neoprene suspension bushings to the front and rear sway bars. Those new bushings really made the jeep tight handling . The front frame mount was grease able on the sway bar. also used jeeps high performance exhaust . I got good gas mileage and handling from my 99 Cherokee after doing these mods. I did get as high as 26 mpg a few times ; But I know I have a heavy right foot lol.

New to me ride: 1996 Cherokee Country:

294174.jpg

This will become the new Cub Hauler shortly after the snow and ice do their yearly thing and GTF out of here.
happy.gif

Art: It was clean - until our dog guest ate a pound of butter and puked in it.
sad.gif
(that's him, just visible over the left fender). 176K, automatic, and, yes, the bulletproof 4.0. It will be one of my last Jeeps. Still looking for this one:
294232.jpg

Frank-
Even with the dog-puke, the Jeep you just bought is a much better looking rig than that one you showed from the ad. Yuck! You have an odd sense of humor man...
facepalm.gif

Latest posts

Back