• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

IH Industrial Tractors and Machinery

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhomrighausen

displayname
Marlin Homrighausen
This is an Industrial 2544 Hydro that will be on next Wednesday's auction in Colo. Now that the camera is working I will try to get some pictures of an I806 that is in Ames.
46378.jpg

46379.jpg

46380.jpg

Someone removed the high/low lever on it. Poor littl guy just needs some TLC.

This is an International 3514 that I bought last fall. I just replaced the head gasket, which required the removal of all the hydraulics mounted above the engine, as well as removing the fuel lines from the injector pump to the cylinder head.

Any advice on priming the fuel lines before starting it back up? What about hydraulic fluid?

I believe the hydraulic fluid resevoir is at the feet of the operator next to the gear selector. I'm just not sure what type of fluid to use in it.

If anyone has any familiarity with this equipment and could lend me advice on these points I'd appreciate it!

59212.jpg

Russell, while I can't answer your question, I thought you might enjoy seeing these pages from a 1970 <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Parts and Accessories catalog.

59214.jpg

59215.jpg

59216.jpg

Well, maybe I can answer the question on what type of hydraulic fluid to use.
happy.gif

59218.jpg

59219.jpg

Russel R. Congratulations!!!

Kraig . Neat pics Thank you for sharing.

Russell - <u>Kids don't belong on equipment !</u>
Now to your question - there should be an air bleeder on the injector pump to bleed the air from the lines.

Let me repharse that ...

<u>People that let kids on equipment and the kids don't belong on equipment !</u>

I certainly appreciate the pictures from the old catalogs! And thanks for the tip on the air bleeder on the pump. I'm not sure that addresses my concern though, as I only disconnected the high pressure lines from the injector pump to the cylinder head. I would think a bleeder on the pump would bleed out air from upstream, no?

As for the kid on the tractor, I would certainly agree with you in most cases. But I think when you isolate a child from something they show a genuine interest in, and simply say, "YOU are not allowed to do that" you create a dangerous situation down the road when they decide for themselves that they ARE old enough to do that and get hurt doing it because you didn't teach them how to do things safely.

What you don't see in that picture is that the tractor is turned OFF before anyone approaches the machine with the kid. We started the engine to let her move the loader bucket up and down a little, and then it was turned off again before she got off. This isn't a common practice by any means, nor would she be on it while it's actually doing any work.

Thanks for your concern.

Russell - I've never been around an IH diesel (grew up with MF) but on our old tractors we would loosen up a line fitting and crank the engine while bleeding the air then tighten it and move to the next line. Kinda like bleeding brakes. Our last 2 tractors had a thumb pump on the injector pump that you could bleed the air through the bleeder and hand pump it from the tank.

When I see kids around equipment I get worked up because I know that alot of the grown ups they are with don't know enough about them themself to be safe. My uncles and cousins from Ohio coming down here for a visit comes to mind ... Plus when I was growing up (1100 acre farm) I remember one of our neighbors had his son riding on the tractor with him and he fell off and got ran over by a David Brown. I had tools in my hand before I ever put down my bottle, I grew up driving an 8N and 52 one ton ferd truck so equipment and repairing it is first nature to me. That's probably why my hands are in such bad shape now!

I'm gonna p**s off a lot of people right now but it needs said... a lot of the members on here and other forums go out and buy a cub cadet (or any thing) wanting to be as I call them "a city farmer" and they have no idea of how to operate equipment or the dangers that can within a blink of the eye happen but yet they let their kids climb all over it. I watched my 5 year old sister get a finger cut off with a sickle bar mower that was on the ground in the driveway. It was being greased by our farmhand and she was playing around it at the time he pulled the belt to get to a fitting and she had her hand in the knives. Things happen fast and there's no reversing what happens.
Personally I don't care what happens to the grown ups as they are their own keeper but I'll be damn if I'll let such stupidity hurt a kid.

Safety reverse switches when the deck is running came from a grandfather mowing with a bagger and when he dumped the clippings his grandson was found in the bag where he had been chopped up when the old bastage backed over him while mowing. I heard this from a direct source in the biz. I'd 'bout bet he was having a few cold ones too while mowing. That's another no no.

Ken...

Thanks for the insight on the fuel lines. The brake line analogy is helpful. The local IH dealer basically had the same advice (I went up there at lunch to pick up new air/oil/fuel/hydraulic filters, engine oil and Hy-Tran hydraulic fluid).

As for the parallel thread on kids... I agree with you, and it's good to have the confidence to say what you feel. No harm in collectively looking out for the well being of children...

I'm certainly not trying to argue that it's a good idea to put kids on heavy equipment. I wanted to dispell the image of a kid climbing up on a running tractor.

My kids help me work on cars, motorcycles, and my little cub. They want to know how everything works. For us, the tractor was new, and the kids were intrigued by it. I felt it was better to let them see it first hand in a controlled manner while getting the safety speech about it, rather than just saying "You stay off of that, you hear me?"

To ask another question in reference to my IH 3514.

The operators seat is mounted on a lazy-susan type mount to allow it to swivel around backwards for backhoe operation.

The seat and swivel mount were completely shot. I bought a generic replacement seat, but I'm not sure what to do about the swivel. Any suggestions for a universal swivel mount, or a generic seat with integrated swivel?

I have to agree with most of what KentuckyKen says here about kids and equipment and the so called "city farmer".

However as a person who grew up on a 80acre dairy farm, and with money being as tight as a snare drum my father taught us kids how to operate farm equipment by the time we where 10 years old.
As the second oldest boy I was taught how to drive the B john deer when I was 8 years old while my older brother was out driving the C Allis by himself rakeing hay.
As some of you know it is very diffacult to drive a farm tractor and stack hay bales on a hay wagon at the same time. ( no we did not have a fancy round bailer)
So to put all kids in the same catagory of not knowing enough to be near or on a pice of equipment is not fair to those who have been properly taught.

Lonny, at 8 years old I was one of the guys on the wagon stacking hay or unloading the bales onto an elevator, or in the barn loft stacking it...... As hard of work as that was I sure miss those days. Thanks for reviving some memories.
happy.gif

I grew up about the same way they put me on a tractor @ 10, one of the first lessons was backing gravity wagons into the shed...dad pulled the throttle down on the AC D17 , put it in reverse let out the clutch and told me I would learn fast...lol...Around this part of Illinois I've seen several Mennonite boys 6 years on up driving 150hp class tractors with a brick or some rig on the pedal so they can control it...unsupervised for the most part.

Grew up in a house in a neighborhood. "City-farmer" right here. My first job right outta highschool was working at a small trucking/excavating company. I had some combination backhoe/loader experience in school and on a bobcat. I was thrown in a large old trackhoe(IH I think) and told to move truck cabs around the yard. First one I crushed. Good thing boss didn't make me pay for it.
I have a very small amount of experience on a farm stacking hay and running vegetables around, I've seen and heard plenty of "accidents" that have happened all around northern IL, My friends dad has the missing fingers to prove it.
I still believe in the phrase
"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" is very true but "no knowledge is just asking for trouble"
and "full knowledge is a lie" as no one can ever know every thing that can or could go wrong in any given instance.

It's ALIVE!

So, with my last post, I noted that I changed the cylinder head gasket, and was having trouble getting the fuel lines primed after putting it all back together.

I only get to work on the tractor on the weekends, so there is a long wait between discovering an issue and having a chance to do anything about it unfortunately. The nearest IH dealer is 5 miles from my house, but 55 miles from where the tractor is! So needing a part and getting it has a 1 week turn around. The local autoparts place has been good for generic stuff though.

With Ken's advice, and my new GSS1271 "Fuel System" service manual, I bled out the fuel system. I discovered that I had a missing gasket on the pre-combustion chamber of the front cylinder, so I corrected that. That still didn't do the trick because I couldn't get the engine to rotate fast enough while cranking to actually start, even with a jump from a vehicle. Something was loading down this tractor's electrical system!

Well, this Saturday I discovered that the tractor has a second battery! I replaced this battery (the primary one was already replaced a few weeks ago). I left them on a trickle charger overnight, and left the block heater plugged in (despite temps being around 70 degrees in the mornings.

Sunday morning... 20 seconds of glow-plug, and she fired right up! Sounds like a brand new tractor. Runs like a charm, with no visible exhaust under load.

Ran it for a good part of the day on Sunday, and I couldn't be happier with it!

Russell, great news, good to hear you got the 3514 running!
happy.gif

I've had my 3514 running for about 6 weeks now, and I couldn't be happier with how it runs. The backhoe works great, and I've gotten a lot of great use out of the machine already. This is usually where something goes wrong for me!

I pulled forward and heard a few crunching noises from the rear wheel area, and when I looked down between the wheel and the frame, I could see oil coming out of the end of the axle.

There is, what appears to be, a dust seal of sorts hanging out, and the noises are emanating from this spot. I'm guessing the tractor has a wheel bearing assembly similar to a rigid axle truck.

Does anyone have any advice on fixing axle bearings on this machine? Is there an easy access point to the differential to release the axle shaft and slide it out? I'm hoping to find that the axle is held in with some form of c-clip within the differential, and then I can just slide it out, replace the races, bearings and seals and button it all back together.

As always, any thoughts are appreciated!

-Russ

Latest posts

Back