• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

IH Cub Cadet Pulling and Hot Rodding

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,

Yes they can get warm, but evene more dangerous is sharp.....the moldboards on our old 700 plow are wore enough at the outer edges to make nice razors.

I am thinking about putting a K341 engine into my 582 Cub Cadet. Has anyone done this and could tell me what I may need to modify in order to make it fit -- mounting bracket, clutch mod's....

You will need a engine bracket out of a 1282 and the driveline parts. Probably the choke and throttle cable should work okay.

I've never converted a 582 to a single to use every day. but the 1282 engine mounts should work. the 1282 was a hydro so the drive line parts won't werk. since its rubber mounted I belive? it would have to use a 3 pined drive hub from a 1200 or 1000. you may wind up makling a driveshaft to the correct lenght. other clutch parts from the 582 should work. its not really as simple as it sounds

Wyatt -

I don't pop in here as much as I should - send me an e-mail and lets talk about this calculator idea. I prolly wouldn't rely on Java but Perl and PHP instead.

Thanks Don and Ryan for your responses about the K341 retrofit into a 582. I had forgotten about the 1282, this being a good start for parts since it had the single cylinder 12hp Kohler. I think I am going to go forward with my plan to replace someday my twin Briggs with the K341 -- the mod's. do not seem to be that involved.

Hello everybody, I am new to this board. My dad has a 1963 Cub 100 and I was thinking about turning it into a puller as my senior project. I would like to know if I could put a K301, 321 or 341 in it?

Kevin,

301 will drop right in as it uses the small flywheel engine. The 321 and 341 will require frame modifications to clear the large flywheel, but will otherwise bolt right in.

My personal 100 has a 301 in it.....couldn't tell from a glance.

Thanks Steve, I have already read the write up of the killer 301 build-up. But is there any other ways to build a super 301 on a fairly limited budget( remember I am still a highschool student working a minimum wage job). I would say $1000 max on the cost of the 301 and the build-up. The 100 has a k181 in it now. Also with the extra power from the engine will I need to beef up the clutch and drivetrain?

BTW - I guess I forgot to tell you that I have to give the Cub back after my senior project and my dad uses it for plowing our garden and mowin paths in heavily wooded areas. So if any of that info changes anything please let me know.

Kevin,

For what you are wanting to do with that tractor you don't need a "super" anything. A plain jane K-301 out of any other narrow frame tractor will fit in it. A complete overhaul, considering you do the work yourself as a "learning" senior project, back to stock specs will give you more power than you will ever "need" in a 100 used like you described. 1/2 to 3/4 of your $1000 should be plenty to get a good running 12hp in it and maybe even some extra for a steering gear rebuild a a few "loose ends" on the tractor.

Hot Rodding these little engines can get into a "cubic inches -> cubic money" deal pretty quick........a good fresh stock 12hp is no slouch!!!!!

Thanx for the info Steve. Sorry for so many questions and all the demands. But I have a couple more questions. Is there any diesal(spell check please!) engines that will fit right in and work good? Or do yall not like diesal engines for cubs? I figured they would be more efficent with the extra torque they put out. Any suggestions and opinions are welcome!! I have taken aparts and put back together my share of lawn mower engines so its not like I am a true beginer. That is why i would like to be able to port and polish and all that good stuff on a lawnmower engine for my senior project.

(Message edited by kbranch on June 02, 2004)

There is a fellow in Wisconsin that puts Kubota single & twin diesel motors in from reefer trailers for pulling. They are pretty cool looking, but I don't know about keeping the PTO clutch for mowing then.

Slap that 12hp in there, and you will be surprised by the power gain over the 7hp you have now.

Kevin-
I think what Steve and Ryan are getting at is that you'll run out of traction well before you run out of horsepower with that 12hp in there. It'd be a shame to spend a bunch of extra money and then have some dude blow by you because he's got a fresh 12hp and a better weight set up.

My $.02..

Ryan, would that be Joe Persoon that you are referring too? Here's one of Joe's <strike>Cubs</strike>, Kubs. :eek:)
19237.jpg

Gentlemen, I just became the proud owner of a Cub Cadet #2 tiller. I know nothing about the tillers, so am wondering what the differences between the #1, #1a, and #2 are. Also, anything special (good or bad) about these things? Also advice on belts - it doesn't have any now, so I want to buy the correct ones when I buy them.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks everybody, So yall are saying I should just stick with rebuilding a 301 and putting it in there and fixing up the 100 to perfect running order? Do you think it would be a good idea to get a clutch from MidWest SuperCub to make the clutch last longer in pulling and plowing?

Ryan, Sometimes at my age a fellow wanders around a little. Oops.

Kevin- I have the MSC Complete clutch in my 14hp gear drive 'plowing' tractor...it is overkill, but you won't have the clutch slip from load. You will lose traction before that.

If you want a tractor for mowing/yard use, I would rebuild the entire driveline to factory specs, or get the MSC clutch, and set the spring to less than 800lbs...my wife can't push down the clutch, and around the house pulling a trailer, it is aggrevating...

The tractor will not be used for mowing yards, we dont even have the deck for it anymore, we sold it. We use the cub to pull a 60" bushhog in heavily wooded paths and places with heavy brush and to plow food plots for animals. It is a good hunting tool! It will see no mowing/yard use. It also plows our garden at home so it will be under some stress and load. We wont have to worry about not being able to push down the clutch because me and my dad are fairly strong guys, and we are the only ones that will ever use the Cub. So I was wondering if the MSC clutch would be a good upgrade for me and my dad?

Latest posts

Back