• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

IH Cub Cadet Pulling and Hot Rodding

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In that case, yes, but I would still back the spring off from the 800lb setting...I bent up a release bracket and a clutch lever.

You will also need to beef up the pivot area on the narrow frame tractor, or it will be ripped out. I believe that Tim Delooza uses a piece of 1/2" angle or square stock behind the factory pivot point and use longer bolts to extend thru it.

Here's a repair/mod to the pivot that Jeremy Cusick posted quite some time ago.
19268.jpg

19269.jpg

19270.jpg

19271.jpg

19272.jpg

Here's what Jeremy wrote about that mod.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Here's a "blueprint" I drew today. The angle iron I used is about 3/16" thick and extends 1 1/2" from the "angle", if that makes any sense. I forgot to mention that used 3 5/16" grade 5 bolts to hold it in place.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Speaking of clutch setups, how well does a MSC clutch disc hold with a stock spring at stock tension?

I really have no idea what I am looking at in those pictures, I havent actually taken the tractor apart yet, I have only put on the dual rear wheels.

Wyatt- I don't know for sure, but I am going to say it probably would be fine. The metallic fiber pads grip quite well to the steel plates.

Ryan, Kevin,

On my 122 I used a piece of thick walled channel. I think it was 1”x2”. I welded it right to the tunnel. Then for the pivot block I used a piece of solid square stock, drilled a hole threw it and welded it to the channel. This is the best pic I have right now:

19317.jpg

I am new to Cub Cadets and recently purchased a model 108 without an engine. I was curious if there is any twin cylinder engine that is a direct bolt in application or one that requires little modification ? Brand does not really matter to me. I appreciate any make and model information that you can offer.

Jeremy- V-twins...Kohler, Honda, Briggs. You will have to flare the sides a little, but they will fit without LOTS of fabrication. Keith E. put a 23hp Briggs Vanguard in a 129...but he just tore it apart because he likes the superior gear jammers better.
happy.gif

Ryan,

Just curious if you know of any certain make and model of twin cylinder that would be best suited to fit in my 108. Figured that I could be on the look-out for one if I know a model. Sorry for all the questions

Any pullers run with cams advanced and at or under 4000RPM? How much advance??

Well, Keith used the 23hp Vanguard, and it didn't need a lot of fitting, but a Kohler V-twin would work as well...There is no bolt in - no mod motor for the 108 other than the 12hp K301, 14hp K321 or 16hp K341...and the 14hp will really do a good job...the and the 16 will do even better and maintain a stock look.

Ryan, Ryan, Ryan. Oh, you silly boy. "... the superior gear jammers..." WHAT?!?!?

Jeremy S.
As Ryan said, I installed a large B&S Vanguard V-twin in a 129. It was relatively easy. I notched the frame just a bit to clear the cooling shroud and the electric starter. Additionally, you'll need a remote oil filter package to make it work properly. Next on the list is a custom drive shaft. I upsized to SGT parts and the 3/4" shaft in lieu of the 5/8" GT stuff. Since I chose to use a stock Briggs muffler, I went with the QL front grille frame because of it's extra inside width. Lastly, and the downside, I think for my application, was that I had to mount the gas tank out front because there wasn't any room for it under the hood. I even went so far as to purchase a small Kohler oblong tank and it wouldn't fit either.

Sorry for the rambling. If you want to know more, just email me and I'll try to help you out.
On another note, I went over to the QC Downs Sunday morning for the annual (?) get together that the Ag colleges have for their pulling competition. I was impressed.

Keith

Hello Ryan & Keith

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my request. I appreciate the information that you have given. I am located in central Indiana.

KEITH - Get any pictures from the pull @ Q-C Downs? Nice to see they're using that place for something productive! When I lived down there they were contemplating building the NASCAR track there or across the road in the old Rock Island Lines railroad yard. Nice thing about the Q-C's is when The City Father's make up their mind to do something it Happens! ;-( (just kidding, having lived there 35 yrs and almost ALL My immediate family still living within 20 miles of the Downs I reserve the right to still Pick on the area!)

Denny-
I've got pictures of the pulls. My wife's niece was one of the drivers! I was kinda thinking they were off topic for this forum, <font size="-2">(like that's stoped me before?...)</font> but I guess I could post a couple from home tonight..

Keith-
Did ya catch that 30-speed gear-jammer with the aluminum diamond-plate body? She was the first puller in the #1,000 class and had a full pull so they said, "We're bringin' ya back and we're gonna put more weight on", then she missed a shift on the second run.

I was a participant in the '99 ASAE pull . . . . Iowa State's "CYKO" tractor. Transmission & clutch were straight from a 122, plus lots of Super Cub parts. We were the first team to apply a suspended front axle. For a team of ONLY 5 guys we didn't do too bad, especially considering just about every school nowadays brings a good chunk of their engineering department.

Looking at the Cyclone Power Pullers page now, I see they bastardized the tractor puller we built, they lost our color-coordinated yellow seat and replaced it with a black "tractor supply special" they also must have lost the nice 4" chrome stack . . . the required "heat shield" . . . . or as we made it, the "louder than loud resonator"

Looks like they're using a good portion of my CAD work still too!

Guy from the RPM forum had drivetrain problems with Their tractor. Their team decided to make a GLORIFIED ATV. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Denny: No, I didn't take any pictures.
Art: I was there Sunday morning for awhile. I think they were pulling the two heavier classes.

My favorites were the ones from MI State and KY "Wildcats". I'm an ISU grad so I was checking out their entry. My brother's a Deere engineer and connected with ISU so I got to meet the Dr. who was leading their group. Cool guy. Of interest here was that their entry was built around Cub Cadet parts. A single Sauer-Sundstrand hydro pump driving two Cub Cadet rear ends.

They were not using the hydro in the traditional fashion. Between the Dr. and my brother and a bunch of sketches I finally understood what they were doing and it's NEAT. The quick of it is that they're using the input shaft as an output shaft, too. It drives a sun gear which drives a planetary all contained within a ring gear (bull gear, in this case). Then, the normal output shaft of the hydro drives the ring gear in either direction to over drive or under drive the planetary set. The actual output shaft that drives the rear ends is attached to the planetary set.

The way I understood it is that it is essentially a direct drive with little parasitic losses when the over/under drive isn't being used.

And I'm spent......
Keith

Back