• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Graeme's Continental kit 1720

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kweaver

displayname
KENtuckyKEN
I don't guess he's EVER going to post any pics of it or tell the story so it's up to me to break the ice I guess.

1720 HYDRO
81030.jpg

Dig the Continental Tire Kit
biggrin.gif

81031.jpg

They like to never got that big Cub in this little truck
rant.gif

81032.jpg

Charlie there's the trailer you've been looking for.

He won an Aussie Ebay auction ... for what reason I do not know
biggrin.gif

Kentuck - thanks for startin the thread fer me, I was wonderin how ter do it ! Latest is it should be at my place tomorrow, Tues. 18 March.
Why I got it? my kids have used that phrase, I tell them, just to sit & look !! they laugh at grandpa having a hobby.

Graeme - I wouldn't kick it out of the garage for cuttin crab grass
biggrin.gif

It looks good even if it doesn't have bolt on wheels ... but then it's just a cutter not a workhorse.

Kentuck - I have had Updikes book for some time, & just today received Oscar's, a bit disappointed he does not cover Lawn Tractors. I appreciate it is only 'Lawn tractor' but the best (only) I can come up with so far, & managed to get she who must be obeyed on side. Tomorrow I should have serial numbers etc. Tyre strapped on the back for transport makes it look a bit like an old Englis car Austin 7 with a tail dragging on the ground appearance. As I said to Charlie a few days ago,
- from what I read (have not seen it yet) what a funny motor, half a VW but with side valves, should be fun.

CUB CADET 1720 Hydro Lawn Tractor
Delivered to Mollymook today, Tues. 18 May 2008. The pics do not show up minor defects.
Looks like I am only the 3rd owner, original (Oz) receipt dated Sept 1989.
Lots of little things for me to tidy up.
The motor runs very well, no foreign noises & no smoke.
Hydro is ‘sloshier’ than 102 3 speed gearbox, maybe I just have to get used to it.
Mowing deck runs OK, bearings seem OK, belt seems Ok, anti scalp wheels need refurbish/adjust.
TRACTOR-
Model 139272100
Serial No. 162561 (Altho owners ‘tag’ is 162555)
Mfg.Date C299G
MOTOR-
Kohler Magnum 17
Model No. MV18S
Spec. No. 58520
Ser. No. 1907409186
DECK-
46inch, LT DECK, 446190, 46LT
Ser.No. 351634
(Original owner has hand written note 46 inch deck 190-445-100)
TYRES-
Front 15x6-6
Rear 20x10-8

Part time resident grand-daughter picked up driving easy, insisted on photo of g’pa.

Charlie/Kraig, I have Owner’s Manual, Attachment Guide, Lube/Accessories/Parts Booklet, Mower Deck Service Kit book, CCC Approved Allied Equipment book. I am a bit pressed tonight but can scan front covers tomorrow & email to you to see if you want fuller details scanned.
81187.jpg

81188.jpg

Graeme - That should make you a good mower after you get the bugs out and serviced. Be sure and check the trans fluid as it may be original. My 1882 fluid is black !

Graeme's bit by the Yellow Bug
biggrin.gif

KENtucky, I think you are correct, however look at the smile his Grand Daughter has, she may come down with the yellow and white fever too if she drives the 1720 too much.
happy.gif

Graeme, looks good, so does your yard, nice and green.
thumbsup.gif
I woke up to snow this morning.

81208.jpg

81209.jpg

18 months ago when I 1st started on the 102 I (eventually with slow dial up then) downloaded Parts Manual & (more importantly) Service Manual from somewhere you guys told me. For the life of me I can not work out where. ?Any clues? altho I kind of think the 1720 might not be there. My main concern is to have clues on the Hydro stuff to drain/refill/replace filter.

Thanks all as above, so, just confirming , I am on about my 1720 CCC lawn tractor. The Hydro looks like a 15U. My immediate question is which plug to unscrew to drain the fluid without have springs & valves all over me.
81488.jpg

81489.jpg

81490.jpg

81491.jpg

Graeme, I've read through all the manuals that I have scanned for the Cub Cadet lawn tractors that were similar to your 1720. I have the 1220 and the 1350 operator's manual and I downloaded the 1720 operator's manual. The 1220 had a drain plug but the 1330 and the 1720 manuals claim that it is dealer serviced only. Without an actual service manual I can't say for sure where or if the 1720 has a drain plug for the hydro. The 1220 manual says that there is a hex plug on the bottom of the transmission but the drawings show it to be a different transmission then the 1720. Sure wish I could find the info for you but I'm not having any success. BTW, why is there a plastic bag over the hydro fill cap on your 1720? Also I see the plastic fan is missing a few blades.

Graeme-

From looking at the exploded view of the hydro, that looks nothing like a 15U inside.

Kraig - thanks heaps for your efforts. I have the original (hard copy) of the Owners Manual, and the download (which has a bit more detail generally, which download site Charlie pointed me to), and they are as you say. That download site (MTD) is a no show on the service manual & I tried heaps of options to find another CCC tractor service manual that might have a service manual with the same hydro but no success yet. The Sauer-Danfoss manuals etc. are good, but they do not show what is the bottom of my unit to identify the or a possible drain plug.

When I was cleaning it I found a strong Gum tree stick jammed up underneath, it had broken the fan blades, & the fill reservoir was cracked. So I wrapped the plastic bag around the fill reservoir before spraying everywhere with Degreaso & hosing down to clean. I have a new fan & reservoir (plus other stuff) on order with my local CC agent.
Thanks Charlie for the pics of Valves, maybe I won't worry so much about springs & stuff coming loose on me, I first want to crack some fluid out to see the colour & any water content.

Has anyone tried turning a good unit input shaft by hand to Know if it is stiff or free?

Graeme, it's been a while since I've turned a hydro pump by hand, but IIRC the hydro unit in my 125, which is a 15U, is very hard to turn by hand. I have a hydro rear end removed from one of my parts tractors, I may have to try turning it tonight to verify. It is after all a pump, also why hydros are harder to start in the winter, up here where it's cold anyway, because the pump is trying to move cold stiff Hy-Tran fluid. BTW, good idea to cover that fill cap before cleaning.
thumbsup.gif

Graeme T. I posted on the Main site. That is probably the BDU10L pump. A smaller version of the 15U. Try HydroGear at this site. Hydro Gear

or try this stuffies... Hydr Gear Google Search

The top one should be able to give you some assistance.

Kraig, much appreciated.
Studying the Sauer-Danfoss flow sheets, even when the Swash plate is in 'neutral' position, the Charge pump which is also connected to the input shaft will be attempting to pump so I suspect (hope) that is what makes it feel a bit stiff.

Back