• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Graeme's Continental kit 1720

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Graeme, I just got in from the shed. I tried turning two different hydros that are connected to the rear differential and still have hy-tran. Both turned by hand, not easily but not hard either.

Graeme T. The charge pump continually pumps. Even when in neutral the oil flows and provides cooling and lubrication. Yes, it will turn hard.

Marlin - THANK YOU. Need to go out & do some shopping & order some more parts, (8.50am Tues. here), so will have a good browse when I get back.

Kraig & Marlin - again, THANKS HEAPS, you type quicker than I can think these days.
I sure am glad that you confirm I can expect some resistance when turning by hand.

Graeme T. Like Kraig says. should turn ... not hard... not easy either.

Off to watch a couple minutes TV and then to bed.

Marlin- managed to just get to read that barcode label you can see in 3rd of my photos. Think it says-
SUNDSTRAND (or an abbreviation) IOWA USA
BOA (maybe BDA)-10S-210
A890900775
MADE IN JAPAN (by 1990 my opinion of Japan manufacture was well high)

Marlin - sorry, senile virus, the name SAUER followed after SUNSTRAND.

Graeme. Should be BDA or Bantam Duty A. Not sure what designation the A means. Could be for Axle. If so then it would probably be referring to the whole transmission as a unit. We don't build anything that small in Ames. You could e:mail Hydro Gear and ask them for some back ground information on that unit. Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Marlin - thanks, you really have helped with identity & the bit about turning by hand makes me feel easier. Parts are all ordered, we have our van (caravan/trailer van whatever you guys call them, only 17ft long dual axle) packed & off for 2 weeks to Sydney then the Snowy Mountains. Might grab the internet along the way.

Just remembered... about 20 or so years ago they did build some of those critters here. Long before I started though. A fella recently showed me where they used to assemble and build those. some of the parts must've been made in Japan.

Have a great vacation.

Marlin - The Lookup shows it needing 8oz of grease soooo I was wondering if only the pump/motor was hydraulic driving a gear in the trans case with grease ??

Ken, you are right. the hydro has its own hyd. oil and it is connected to the trans with a coupler and the trans gears are running in grease.the pump should have a little white plastic resivour on it.

Eric. Thank you. We actually have a 1720 at work. It came from the Illinois plant that we shutdown last year. Not a bad little Cub. I didn't get a chance to look at it today. They are trading it and the JD 216 in on a new tractor to pull the oil pump wagon. Anyway, I guess the units were made in Japan for Sunstrand Sauer. Our local IH dealer told me the 1720 is a good little Cub only don't put a snowthrower on it or you'll snap an axle on the rearend.

Up at Picton,near Sydney on G'daughter's comp. Thanks for the posts Kentuck,Eric,Marlin, all good extra info for when I get home again.

Kentuck - what 'look up' did you look in to find the grease reference? (please) thanks
81738.jpg

81739.jpg

81748.gif

81749.gif

81750.gif

It did list it as 8oz. in the checkout but now at checkout it says my cart is empty.

Kentuck - thank you, I had eventually noticed the Grease item but had not gotten the 8oz. Strange they list the Grease but not the Hydro Oil.
Dropped by home for a couple of days on way to the Snowy, message on phone from local CC agent, have all bar 1 of parts I ordered only last Tuesday after Easter. Not bad for way down here I reckon.

Charlie/ Phillip H. - hope you find this cause I had a 'senior's' & said 'Lincoln'. (Just testing your adaptability!!).

Mfg date by my reckoning from Oscar's book is-
C = March
23 = 23rd
8 = 1998
G = Brownsville plant

In Cub Cadet Parts Lookup type in model 1720, then select range of your serial no., & off you go.

Service Manual - I have 1 on the way from Binders. Charlie, I think I have said earlier, I tried the great MTD site you gave me, but it was a no go for 1720 Service Manual.

Graeme - I downloaded the ONE manual that MTD has , the Owner's Manual. They list but don't have the Service and Parts manuals. The OM doesn't list anything about the hydro other than shift rod adjustment.

Kentuck- yeh, same here, that's why I ordered from Binders. Best regards.

Latest posts

Back