• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

EQUUS 3010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhokinson

displayname
Justin Hokinson
I picked up this little unit at the carshow/swapmeet today, didnt come with a book/manual. i grabbed it because it was in a dollar box, why not grab it right?

its a Equus 3010 Dwell-Tach tester. it has 2 clip type things, one green one black. how do i hook it up for use? i cant find anything online about how to hook it up. does it just hook onto the sparkplug wire like a tiny tach?

Justin, What you have is a dwell meter. It is used to set the points on a running engine. That is why the old GM engines had little doors on the distributor cap to adjust the points. The way it works is the black wire goes to ground and the green one goes to the - side of the coil. There should be another switch to set it for the number of cylinders, It should say like 4-6-8 or like mine is just 6-8. it also measures engine rpm. The meter will only work on a engine running points ignition. I have one in my toolbox and I have not used mine in at least 25 years, which is probably why you found it in a discount bin. It will not work on a single cyl. engine, unless it has setting for 1 cyl, Most of them did not.

4-6-8 cylinder
I would say the black is ground and the green (leave it to the French to use green) would be the "working" lead.

Kevin - They're sold on the big auction site. Amazon has it listed but not in stock.

Ken, I am just going by memory (not as good as it used to be) and have not used mine since the 80s. I am surprised they are still selling them. I bought mine new off the Mac truck over 30 years ago.

Memory is an old friend that will let you down when you need it most.

I've got a different brand that I've not used since '78 when I changed my '68 Elcamino to electronic distributor.

Latest posts

Back