• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Differences between the 185 and 154

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Furlow

How would I be able to tell if I had a 185 with a 154 hood what are the distinct differences if anyone could tell me what the differences are that’d be awesome and if someone could provide pictures of the major differences that’d be above and beyond. Tia fellas

How would I be able to tell if I had a 185 with a 154 hood what are the distinct differences if anyone could tell me what the differences are that’d be awesome and if someone could provide pictures of the major differences that’d be above and beyond. Tia fellas
First off, the 185 is rated for 18 hp, the 154 at 15 hp. The difference being mainly the carburetor, and intake. Secondly, the 185 also has domed top pistons, and a slightly higher operating rpm. Other than that, they are pretty much the same tractor.

First off, the 185 is rated for 18 hp, the 154 at 15 hp. The difference being mainly the carburetor, and intake. Secondly, the 185 also has domed top pistons, and a slightly higher operating rpm. Other than that, they are pretty much the same tractor.
Ok i’m asking because I recently bought a 150 for at least I think I put a new carburetor on it but the carburetor I took off of it was a zenith and I replaced it with the same carburetor so I think it may be a 185 with a 154 Consol piece because it also has a yellow nose piece which would be correct for the 154 but my nose piece has been painted over the original color was white it now has noticeably newer paint that a previous owner put on and it’s way more yellow than the rest of the tractor. I guess what it boils down to and what I’m trying To get out as I believe I have a 185 that someone stuck at 154 consul piece and hood on from another tractor

The first picture is the carburetor I removed the second Picture is the carburetor I installed

Attachments

• BEA1994D-2EC3-453B-827A-5321CD4A7812.jpeg
    BEA1994D-2EC3-453B-827A-5321CD4A7812.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 5BB983D9-FDE2-4C75-934C-6A549724D591.jpeg
    5BB983D9-FDE2-4C75-934C-6A549724D591.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Ok i’m asking because I recently bought a 150 for at least I think I put a new carburetor on it but the carburetor I took off of it was a zenith and I replaced it with the same carburetor so I think it may be a 185 with a 154 Consol piece because it also has a yellow nose piece which would be correct for the 154 but my nose piece has been painted over the original color was white it now has noticeably newer paint that a previous owner put on and it’s way more yellow than the rest of the tractor. I guess what it boils down to and what I’m trying To get out as I believe I have a 185 that someone stuck at 154 consul piece and hood on from another tractor
Is possible that someone put a dash from a 154 on it, but it's much more likely that the nose piece is a replacement that was painted yellow. They are readily available from Hamilton Bob's, and they come in white. And the nose is usually beat to a pulp. The only real way to tell what exactly you have is to find the serial number tag, and do some research on what it is.

Is possible that someone put a dash from a 154 on it, but it's much more likely that the nose piece is a replacement that was painted yellow. They are readily available from Hamilton Bob's, and they come in white. And the nose is usually beat to a pulp. The only real way to tell what exactly you have is to find the serial number tag, and do some research on what it is.
The serial number has been forever erased and yes that is possible that as a replacement but it also came with a zenith carburetor didn’t The 154s come with and I H carb and the 185s came with a zenith carb is that correct or is that completely incorrect i’m asking honestly not trying to sound like a smart ass it’s hard to hear how person saying something over iMessage as you’re well aware I’m sure

Tyler,I'm very new to a lowboy but...right behind oil dipstick should be serial no. stamped into block.A little steel wool and it should show...This will allow finding yr of engine ..It did on my 47 and 57..In my case my lowboy certainly has a replacement engine but it's close...

The serial number has been forever erased and yes that is possible that as a replacement but it also came with a zenith carburetor didn’t The 154s come with and I H carb and the 185s came with a zenith carb is that correct or is that completely incorrect i’m asking honestly not trying to sound like a smart ass it’s hard to hear how person saying something over iMessage as you’re well aware I’m sure
Only the earliest 154s came with an IH carb, that lasted the first 1 1/2 years of production if I remember correctly. The rest got zenith carbs. Yours being a 1974 model year, the last year of 154 production, should have the zenith carb.

Latest posts

Back