• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Diesel won't start

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvenezia

displayname
charles venezia
My alternator/water pump belt broke. Tractor over heated. I got the belt on and now tractor won't start I got full tank of fuel, I cracked the fuel line at injector and got fuel. I have good battery cranks very well. When it cranks I get alot of white smoke and it sounds like it wants to start but it won't. The fuel shut off seems to be moving from end stop to end stop freely. The tractor ran fine when I pulled into the workshop to put the belt on but after belt was put on now it won't start. All your help is appreciated.

I'm going to vote for a bad head gasket.
1a_scratchhead.gif

charles venezia

I would check to see that the glow plugs are getting 12 v . Have you deleted the glowing coil in the dash to tell you how hot the glow plugs are ? All that coil does is drop voltage to the glow plugs. White smoke is a too cold temp in the cylinder . You have a bad glow plug or a power to the glow plug issue.My ram 5.9 diesel will blow white some if I start it cold and try to give it to much fuel. Set your throttle at just above idle . Report back on the voltage check.

I have power to the glo plugs between 11.5 and 12.2 volts glo plugs were replaced last year and I eliminated the coil. It sounds like it wants to start it just won't. The part I don't understand is it over heated on sunday when I came home yesterday to put belt on it started right up with a jump so I could move it 100 feet into my work shop. After I put on the belt it wont start. Is it pssible I have the belt too tight and have too much drag on the engine to start? If the head gasket went wouldn't there be water in the oil?

Charles V.
If your getting white smoke, the issue might just be your starter.

If it's not spinning the engine fast enough, you will crank on that sucker all day and it ain't gonna start.
A good way to check it is to put a super battery charger on it in start mode where it cranks out 55 amps or more.
If that helps, your starter is dieing on ya.
My suggestion would be to roll it over a few times till the smoke starts, remove the bottom of the air cleaner and VERY LIGHTLY shoot some starting fluid, Not to much cause it will act like it's floggin the mule if ya add to much.
I'm bettin it fires right up.

Diesel fuel conditioner helps a bunch on those little engines.

Charlies V

Did you bleed all the lines. turn switch on so pump will run and there are two places on the injector pump as well as the lines that will need to be bled. any air in the lines will affect fuel delivery to the cylinders.A good charged battery is very important to get these diesels to start.

I have to agree with Charlie about Diesel fuel conditioner; I keep it in my 1512 all year long .

I put a battery in mine that is for a Mazda Miata. Sure made a difference on cold starts.

CHARLIE V. - Charlie P's suggestion of giving your diesel a wiff of starting fluid is good advice but I'd disable your glow plugs first. I've heard many horror stories of explosions when starting fluid is used in glow plug engines. Normally the intake manifold is blown clear off the engine.

Finally found out why 1572 would not start. It seems the valves are worn and does not allow for enough compression. The head is at the machine shop now. I am just waiting to see what the cost for valve job will be. I am guessing not cheap. I am hopeing to have it back for the PA plow day. I was looking foward to plowing with two diesels this year. No one seems to know how or why the over heating incident was related. Also found out why it overheated. Altenator siezed up and belt shcredded thus no water pump.

how many hours does it have and please let us know what the valve job cost thanks

Meter shows about 1000 but was not working when I got tractor. Quote $1200 for valve job, rebuild injectors and new bearings in altenator. Not sure what could make them bad all of a sudden after it overheated.

charles venezia
So you will have like new injectors and new valves and guides and new bearings in your alt. Seems like about correct , if done correctly. The injectors need to be pump up and tested for spray pattern and pop off pressure for that diesel to work correctly . sett up your injector pump to build the diesel fuel to where the injectors pulse fuel in the cylinder at btd is important also. The alt bearings are sure less $$ but necessary . If your going that far I would check the water pump and install a new thermostat and gasket. Have your rad checked and flushed also. Is the diesel worth the $$ . You bet : I know you will save on Fuel to run that tractor . Also Check the bearings in the idler pulley that keeps the belt tight for the rad fan. Bearings are cheap for that .run an additive to liberate that pump and you will be happy for a long time.

Back