• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to IH Cub Cadet Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Parts Wanted Kohler model CV490S

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean Eechaute

Got a friend who has a Cub Cadet with a Kohler model CV490S engine. The tractor is not running and had no compression. Got it to the shop and ended up pulling the head off of it and it looks like some serious damage has happened internally. Basically the piston does not move when the crank is turned. I'm guessing the rod let go but it did not poke thru the case and turns freely. The head and everything else looks fine. Does anyone know where I could find a short block for this engine? Did not have much luck on Ebay. Thanks, Dean

Dean,I would ask why bother with a short block.Used engines are not all that pricey,even a new one less than a 1000.It is only a 17 hp engine ..If the cub is less than 20 yrs old should be fairly easy swap.. The question ,to me , is how many hrs on machine? Is it worth putting a 1000 into replacement?? My 2 cents

Dean,I would ask why bother with a short block.Used engines are not all that pricey,even a new one less than a 1000.It is only a 17 hp engine ..If the cub is less than 20 yrs old should be fairly easy swap.. The question ,to me , is how many hrs on machine? Is it worth putting a 1000 into replacement?? My 2 cents
I believe it is a 2002 model and he got it very cheap. I'm just looking for a cheap solution for my neighbor. Big family and a single income. I would love to find a used motor or the cheapest way to get it running again. Everything else works good and is a hydrostatic drive. Head looks good but even though the crank turns without making any noise the piston does not move so I know that likely the connecting rod let go which means the case and crank are likely toast. I looked at Ebay and did not see anything comparable but any help on finding another long or short block would be appreciated. Thanks, Dean

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 0
Dean, I fully understand,I have done a lot of "charity" work..If that is a kohler courage it's probably trashed..Strongly suggest an ad on "craigs list" or "facebook"..Going back that far you will find mounting bolt patterns are the same so a Briggs or Kohler will bolt in,even the elec is quite similar.. Most of the cheaper models used a similar engine..

Latest posts

Back