• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Kohler CV 12.5 engine

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fhiggenbottom

displayname
Fred Higgenbottom
Does anyone sell a "high torque" starter for a Cub Cadet 1330 lawn tractor with the Kohler CV 12.5 engine? If so, where can it be found? Unlike the solid lifter versions this Kohler engine with hydraulic lifters has self-adjusting valve clearance, and as the engine ages the OEM starter just isn't powerful enough to dependably turn it over to without some manual help in order to overcome the compression stroke. After starting it runs just fine but it's a pain to start. Instead of tearing the engine down and replacing expensive and sometimes discontinued parts like the lifters and camshaft a high torque starter would probably provide just enough "hrmph" to make it spin. Any help in this search would be appreciated.

These engines already have very powerful starters for their size. The compression release on the camshaft is probably malfunctioning. Might be as simple as the spring that actuates it is broken. Here's the service manual: https://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/tp_2339_d.pdf
Thanks for the reply. I'd come to the same conclusion (faulty ACR mechanism) but was looking for a more rapid solution to the hard starting that wouldn't require disassembling the engine to affect a repair. It doesn't need much more torque and a higher torque starter (than the OEM model) would probably do the job and be quicker and less expensive than the labor and parts (if you can find them) to repair the automatic compression relief mechanism.

The problem is what you are looking for likely doesn't exist.

If labor cost is a concern to you, might as well sell it and get something different...it will cost more to pay someone to repair nearly anything on one of these than it is worth.

The compression release spring is KH-12-089-37-S and is like $10.

It's also like NLA!! From CCC
This part is invalid or no longer available. We're sorry for the inconvenience.
  • Search results for "KH-12-089-37-S"
  • KH-12-089-37-S
    SPRING-ACTUATING

• Elsewhere maybe.

Maybe your starter is just weak with age or a worn starter solonoid not giving enough amps,,,i'd start cheap by replacing solonoid, then starter,if that don't solve it,,,then rebuild....I had a simular problem on my older 1972 cub,it would crank then hit a tight spot and not crank at all,,pulled the belt off and cranked the starter and it spooled up to full speed, then i stopped and hit the key again and it only spooled up 1/2 speed,,,replaced starter & solonoid problem solved,,,,Remember "KISS"= keep it simple stupid,,,don't "over engineer' a problem.....

Maybe your starter is just weak with age or a worn starter solonoid not giving enough amps,,,i'd start cheap by replacing solonoid, then starter,if that don't solve it,,,then rebuild....I had a simular problem on my older 1972 cub,it would crank then hit a tight spot and not crank at all,,pulled the belt off and cranked the starter and it spooled up to full speed, then i stopped and hit the key again and it only spooled up 1/2 speed,,,replaced starter & solonoid problem solved,,,,Remember "KISS"= keep it simple stupid,,,don't "over engineer' a problem.....
Update! I'd already replaced the solenoid, cleaned the battery cables and electrical connections, switched starters with my other Cub Cadet 1330 (which works properly) yet the starting problem remained! But not giving up as a last-ditch effort to diagnose the problem I switched a more powerful battery from my other 1330 mower (425 CCA) which immediately and thankfully made the starter spin the engine. I feel stupid to admit it, but apparently my battery was the problem all along and escaped scrutiny because it registered a healthy 12.6 volts on my voltmeter. Apparently, with age the 275 CCA battery in the mower lacked the necessary amperage and was just weak enough to not reliably spin the engine through the compression stroke. Maybe this journey will help others who've encountered a similar problem. Thanks for all the input!

DON'T FEEL STUPID !!! I belong to a small engine repair group on facebook,,,and guys write in about engines blowing smoke and the oil level too high,,,all these knuckle heads tell them to "rebuild the carb because of gas in the oil"....NO THE PREVIOSE OWNER JUST OVERFILLED IT !!

Back