• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Model 1650 Kohler won't crank after sitting for any length of time

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdtaylor

Model 1650, single cylinder Kohler engine. If this mower sits for any length of time it does not want to crank. I remove air cleaner spray starter fluid, starts up and once run does not have a problem re-cranking. Any suggestions? I use only non ethenol fuel and Sea Foam.

Crank, meaning not turning over, or do you mean it will not fire and run? If the ether does the trick, could be poor fuel distribution, so a carb cleaning and full inspection is in order. You could also have a weak spark, or dirty plug. Make sure points and condenser are good, and the cover is sealed up.

Make sure you are using non-ethanol gas. Ethanol will create "crystals" inside the tank and mess up the carb. BTDT

I have a small Briggs on a rear mounted tiller the same way. On a cold start I pull the plug, dribble a bit of gas in, plug replaced and give it a pull. Usually fires first pull. After warmed up no problem starting. All any on my engines in the last 20 years have seen is Ethanol gas with Sta-Bil.

I would check the choke operation. Mine is a tad touchy when cold also. On a cold morning it needs full choke to catch but I have to be prepared to back off immediately or it riches out and dies. It also does better at fast idle until warm so moving the throttle lever open part way with the choke closed and in about 5 revolutions with the starter and ready to back the choke off she runs pretty good for a cold start. I've taken to marking the spot where the throttle lever goes for fast idling so all I have to do is work the choke until it runs cleanly on it's own.

Spark. Usually if it runs ok after the initial start. Is it hard to start again if it has really cooled down?

Bruce, Assuming you have done all the usual checks for good spark ,. have you checked carb gasket for any loosening..tighten bolts a bit.A small hole in gas line will allow air to seep as well.It does sound like a fuel issue.A 1650 is some 40 yrs old,have you ever changed fuel lines and filter?They might be detiorating and be partially plugged...Original lines were not made for alcohol fuel..just some thoughts...your application of starting fluid is coming from outside your fuel system...

Bruce, Assuming you have done all the usual checks for good spark ,. have you checked carb gasket for any loosening..tighten bolts a bit.A small hole in gas line will allow air to seep as well.It does sound like a fuel issue.A 1650 is some 40 yrs old,have you ever changed fuel lines and filter?They might be detiorating and be partially plugged...Original lines were not made for alcohol fuel..just some thoughts...your application of starting fluid is coming from outside your fuel system...
Gary I was replying to the person who posted this initially.
Plug or spark system weakness in my knowledge usually causes it not to start and that's why a starting fluid with a higher ignition point starts the engine.

It may time to check the valves make sure they have the proper clearance since they have a part in pulling the fuel to the combustion chamber.

Also, I just had an issue with gas leaking thrugh carb over winterand filling crankcase so full of gas engine would barely turn. You may want to look at bowl needle setting and consider installing a fuel cutoff where it is easily available to you.

Model 1650, single cylinder Kohler engine. If this mower sits for any length of time it does not want to crank. I remove air cleaner spray starter fluid, starts up and once run does not have a problem re-cranking. Any suggestions? I use only non ethenol fuel and Sea Foam.

I had to go back to the beginning because I didn't see a reply... The OP writes "Crank" but it must "crank" as it starts up on ether.. If I am correct and it does crank but not start unless ether is used when cold, then I'd be verifying fuel flow and choke operation.

Back