• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Won’t start after painting

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m missing something and can’t figure it out. I have a 1961 original cub cadet tractor and took all the skin, seat, fenders, etc. off of it and painted it. I wrapped the coil terminals and alternator terminals but then when I put everything back together it wouldn’t start. I have included pictures of the way I put the wires back on to see if I did it correctly? I even bought a new coil and put it on and that didn’t do it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4061.jpeg
    IMG_4061.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4060.jpeg
    IMG_4060.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I also meant to mention that there is no spark getting to the spark plug. There is power on both positive and negative side of the coil, and on the alternator power to all connections. I’m sure I’m missing something simple and looking forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts. Thanks again.

I'd be looking at the points. Clean them with a point file.

Or the tractor is rejecting the paint job. Did you use OEM Cub Cadet paint? :errrr:

From the look of the paint job most of those items were left on and painted over. Points I would check though...

I once was working on a farmall super h that refused to charge. I traced every wire and connection for hours. Around 2AM I finally discovered someone had painted underneath the voltage regulator brackets. As previously stated by everyone, these old machines are really sensitive to ground issues. My trick for tracing/eliminating ground problems is to take a spare length of wire and attach it somewhere on the frame that is a known-good ground. From there you can manually test each ground connection with your length of wire. That's at least how I've been able to fix my Farmalls wiring issues in the past.

Latest posts

Back