• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Custom Cub Tinwork/ Fenders

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcoleman

displayname
Glen M. Coleman
Ok, OK I know we have been over this before, but I want to do this stuff right, so I'll ask again.
I have the steel shop / their equipment at my disposal, so if I could get some domensions on Brads fenders, that would be great. Again, thanks to the master of photos, Kraig for giving me the base pics of Brad Datisman's 149 that got me going on this project. It is called Project "149 AG Special", and it will have the nosepeice like a 284,and cooresponding oval body muffler, a set of fenderes like a 1066, or Brad D's 149, and a CAT 0 three point hitch (which will be done very soon) as well as front weight bracket, and eventually, a ROPS/ sun canopy like a 1466 would have. THEN I will start the dual hydro's, but for now I need the fender information. I have gotten the 3pt info all figured out as well, the lower arms will be 22" long (center hole to center hole on ball ends), and the hardware will be painted yellow. Great ambioius kid arent I...
SOOOOO, all help I can get before I make the final templates, and ultimately the final product is HUGELY apriciated, and I will post pictures when this damn thing is finally done. I am asking for things like "Howd he make the center section (battery box)" and "Hows it mounted to the frame", and "Are the fenders seperate from the seat area", you know, things that this dumb kid can't figure out...
TIA, Glen
P.S. I know it is alot, and that the information isnt always known, but good guestimates are even a real help.

Glen,
Why not get ya some 102 fenders and make your own.
62197.jpg

62198.jpg

Glen, I'll try to get some photos posted here today for you, I'm running on very little sleep today so I might not get to it until tomorrow. Would you like me to post them in high resolution so you can see more detail? Seeing as this is Glen's thread no one complain if he want's them big.
happy.gif

Yes Please, Oh, and do what I do before school at 5:30 in the morning, drink Coffee
coffee.gif
.Thanks Again Kraig. They say coffee stunts yer growth, but I have been drinking it since I was about 12, and I am 6' 1", and still growing, haha, taller than the old man now too.
thumbsup.gif

Glen
Just a silly question, but if you have a steel shop and equipment at your disposal and you want to build a custom cub, and you feel like you have the expertise to do it, why don't you just go ahead and build one and see what comes out? Why do you want to copy what someone else has already done?

Well Frank, Because I can, and it won't be EXACTLY like Brad's, just similar. Besides, you don't have to be original all of the time.
thumbsup.gif

Glen - Go drink some more coffee and open yer eyes ... that was Richard not Frank ;)
If you're gonna do something be creative not a Xerox.

Richard - One old friend use to tell me that someone copying my work was flattery but I still don't like copy cats.

Sorry Richard, I was reading Frank Morski's thread, and my brain fart continued.
OK, It is my tractor, and I will do what I want.
Like I said,"Because I can, and it won't be EXACTLY like Brad's, just similar. Besides, you don't have to be original all of the time."

Glen, I'll start off with a few of Denny F's 72.

62233.jpg

62234.jpg

62235.jpg

Glen,
Looks like he may have sectioned out the battery box from the original hydro fenders. Or at least one solution.. But building a box with ears on it should be easy.. Take it one step at a time. It is easy to get lost looking at the whole thing rather than just a small part at a time.

My only negative comment is the large gap between the fenders and the foot boards. Cub and every manufacturer of equipment (pick one and look, atv's, motorcycles, tractors etc.) has worked very hard to seal this area up. Especially if feet clothing and legs can get to it.

Have fun, BE Safe.

Cheers
Dudley

Well, I went to the local steel shop, and for 50 bucks, got my fenders, 3 point, and batterybox/sides made. Thanks Kraig, andI will be Dudley.
Glen
I will post pics when it is put together, and welded.

KRAIG - How'd You take ALL those pic's of the 72 and not show what a ripped-up mess the home-made seat cover is?
When I made those fenders back in about '89 all I had was an AC buzz box welder and a 4" x 6" bandsaw. I really wanted to build something like Brad's fenders, or maybe something similar to a #750 Jon Deare with the headlites recessed into the top front of the fenders. But I didn't have access to the right tools for that job and still don't. So they're patterned after the fenders on a 102/122/123 like Charlie posted. Except Mine You can stand on or lift the whole rear of the tractor up with them. They're 11 or 12 ga steel with 11 ga 1" sq tubing framework all welded with the wiring for the lights running inside. You lay a straight edge across them and even after all these years they're still straight, flat, and square with each other. But they sure are a PITA to install!

Denny, I'm not exactly sure how I didn't get the ripped seat cover in the photos.
dunno.gif
I don't recall noticing that the seat was ripped.

KRAIG - It was My first and last attempt at upolstery. Scrap of naugahyde from a fabric store, Wife's sewing machine, some left-over carpet padding. Sewing through four layers of naugahyde was the sewing machine's last official act. After about a year the stitching was so close the naugahyde started ripping right along the first seam.
sad.gif
Maybe as part of It's Refurbish I should spring for a new seat cover!

Glen-

If it's not too late already, I'd suggest making the battery box larger than the original one so you can fit a car battery in there. That would help with winter starting a bit.

They look to me like accesory lights for big trucks, seen them at NAPA along with the rubber insert buckets.

Bren

Glen, Brad ordered the fender lights and amber tails lights from Napa. Look in their lighting book to find them. They were not cheap. As for the seat, he used an 82 series seat pan and the battery box for his tractor. It fit very well. Gary Taylor from Central Il. made the fenders for his tractor, in case you wondered where they came from. Since that picture, Brad put 26-12-12 tires on the rear and a narrow frame front axle with drop down spindles on it to level the tractor out.

Latest posts

Back