Cub Cadet 582 with handyman parts.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This 582 gets the work done, but the creature comforts are difficult. After tightening all bolts and engine mounts the noise and vibration is better, but not much. So I ran it without the tunnel cover to see what would show up.
It looks like the drive shaft is out of balance, or not straight. I held a long screwdriver against it to confirm what my eyes had difficulty seeing.
I also determined that at some low RPMs there was no vibration and the drive shaft did not wobble.
Any suggestions?

I did not replace the flex couplings. They seem in good shape. I am not sure how to check them, what to look for in the examination.
I will try to get some photos posted so other eyes can see.

Here is the flex coupling, two photos.
316449.jpg

316450.jpg

This is my best shot of the engine end. There seems to be a little play in this end. When I take hold of the shaft it has motion at the joint where you see the pin in the very center of the photo.
I hope this helps.
316453.jpg

The flex couplers look fine but man have you got MAJOR issues with that clutch disc, LOL
And you wondered why you had vibration?

And I'm not sure that your teaser spring is still of this world.
biggrin.gif

It looks just like yours except it won't have the chunks and pieces missing and the 2 clutch surfaces won't be coming loose flopping around causing ALL your vibration as well as not throwing shrapnel out for someone to get drilled in the leg with.

Dan, do a search for "cub 582 clutch disc" and you will find some sites with photos and part numbers, I like partstree, photo below from them. Then buy the parts you need from the sponsors here on this site (up above), or from the site where you found the picture. I find the sponsors here are priced fair, sometimes less expensive than local shops, and post daily on this site. Looks like a good start is part 6, 9, and 10 (need 3 of these). Good luck and keep posting pix as you go.
316457.jpg

If the driveshaft has radial play, you need to replace the spherical ball bushings at either end. 14 and inside of 16 in the parts drawing someone posted.

George... Thank you for the post and picture. I am curious about why you specify the spring (6) in the photo. Also, the three spring clips are not to be found in the present condition. I am not certain where they go and what they do. Photo from the Parts Tree siste.
316542.png

#6 is the teaser spring; you will have rather abrupt operation of the clutch without it.

Others may disagree, but the anti-rattle springs (#10) are a waste of money. I used to put those on rebuilt clutches, and they seem to break or fall off. They do not affect the function of the clutch. I have never had a tractor that came with them, they always seem to disappear.

I defer to Matt's extraordinary background and experience. However, I have them on all of mine, always put them on backwards, but then get it right. Take your time and think it through.

Matt, you're an engineer guy, why don't you use these?

Install them on the driver side, then mate the disk.....they stay on longer......

I have never noticed a difference in noise with or without those anti-rattle springs. If that is the only purpose of them, they are there to try to solve a non-existent problem. Yeah, the holes in the friction disc can probably egg out enough to where you can hear the clutch rattling, but then that noise is probably the least of your issues.

Latest posts

Back