• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Cadet 582 with handyman parts.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
311950.jpg

A shot of my 100 with same 42 inch blade mounted to see what I'm referring to. It can be spring trip for snow or lock in place for dirt/gravel work.

Daniel K. Nice rescue!!!
happy.gif

Earl F. You keep making me regret ever selling the three 100s that I had in the past. Thank goodness I have the rolling chassis coming home soon.

311959.jpg

Just to clarify the quick attach I was referring to. This is on a 125 frame but similar design for your 582

311962.jpg

Same 125 frame, also referred to as a narrow frame model, shows about how far back your axle would have set originally.

I had to use polish on the lens of the hour meter to be able to read it.
Now I wonder if I am reading it correctly.
I think it shows only 480 hours of use.

312129.jpg

It could be, or more likely 480+600x, where x is the number of times the hourmeter has gone around...
happy.gif

Thanks, Matt. I hope not.
I have not watched one of these meters, so I am only speculative in what I say.
It seems to me that the red indicator is not at the position of 600, the highest possible, but rather at two on the white marks, or at the position of 20 on the yellow numbers.
If the meter has gone around twice it would be, on that theory, 600 x 2 + 480, or 1680.
No matter what we say about it, this Cub is what it is.

It seems they were more for service intervals than actual machine hours. What I've heard on main board over the years. I'm glad I didn't scare you away!

The hour meter shows 482 Hours, and if the white one moves its a working hour meter. Like a second hand on a clock.

No, Earl, you are not that scary. If I were easily scared I would not have bought a fixer Cub.

About my Cub & its renovation: I found that the rim for the left front tire is scrap; it is all rusted out around the valve stem. Happily I have another rim to renovate. It has a nearly new tubeless tire, but is quite rusted with water inside the tire. I must remove the tire and renovate with new paint so it will be problem free for years.

I've heard of guys using vinegar for rust removal. After removing the tire, try and soak the whole rim in a container of vinegar for a day or two. It should clean right off then. I'm hoping someone who has done this chimes in, I plan on trying it this spring.

Earl F i use it all the time ,but it takes more than two days more like two weeks ,and works better when its warm out ,but it sure will work it wont remove paint ,.and after you use it place the part in a bath of water and soda for few days ,if not it will rust ,

I used vinegar on some rims this past summer. Matt G. is correct that it takes much longer and works better when it is warmer outside. Much safer when you have animals around. If you can then I suggest going with the Electrolysis.

Earl F. I'm still looking at that 107. I'm still trying to justify getting the little fella. If I bought it and got the parts perhaps I could have you fix it up for me when you feel better. Angel would kill me if I brought another home.
happy.gif

But Marlin, wouldn't I be bringing it home for you?!
I have a set of front wheels I'll be trying out vinegar on. I'm sure I'll forget about them for a couple weeks and will be nice and clean! Ha!

Earl F. The 107 is gone. However I do know of a 1250 that needs a little TLC. I might be looking at that to put the cab on. I left a set of rear narrow rims in vinegar for two weeks. It did loosen up a lot of rust only since they were really bad to begin with I ended up using a wire wheel on them. I like the vinegar since it doesn't hurt the environment.

Thanks for the reminder about vinegar. I have also heard that Coca Cola does the job.
I plan on using the wire wheel to get off the big stuff and then the vinegar will have less to do.
Should I take out the valve stem? It is for tubeless. I think, since the bead of the tire has an injury I will have to use a tube anyway.
Is there an easy to get that valve stem out?

does it matter what kind of vinegar? Distilled or cider, or whatever?
I guess I will set it in my greenhouse since heat is a factor.

For vinegar whatever you can get cheap enough in the large quantity you'll need. Scraping off the big chunks is a good idea and I just slice off the valve stem, provided it's rubber not metal. Most all are rubber. Using a tube is a great way to not have to deal with the bead seating properly.

Coke leaves a sugary residue that needs to be cleaned off. Vinegar not so much, just use water and baking soda mix like Marlin said to neutralize and prevent surface rusting.
If it were a metal valve stem you can just remove the nut on outside of rim. But I doubt anyone would put them on it, only saying it's a possibility.

Back