• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub 147 Clutch

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czuck

displayname
Charlie H Zuck
I have a Cub Cadet 147 with a 48" mower deck. I rebuilt the clutch with new clutch plate and new compression springs and friction disk spring. I went over the two steel surfaces with 80 grit paper. Carefully setup the clutch with the correct setup tool. First time out mowing it started slipping. My grass is thick and lush green this time of year. Is this clutch borderline with a 48" deck? Do I need to upgrade to the clutch used on the later cubs? Seems I need to go slower than I remember so it does not slip. Is there something I am overlooking in the clutch setup?

Yes fully engaged, clearance in linkage. Maybe I will double the recommended clearance. It already slipped so maybe the clutch disc is glazed?

I have a Cub Cadet 147 with a 48" mower deck. I rebuilt the clutch with new clutch plate and new compression springs and friction disk spring. I went over the two steel surfaces with 80 grit paper. Carefully setup the clutch with the correct setup tool. First time out mowing it started slipping. My grass is thick and lush green this time of year. Is this clutch borderline with a 48" deck? Do I need to upgrade to the clutch used on the later cubs? Seems I need to go slower than I remember so it does not slip. Is there something I am overlooking in the clutch setup?
Post a picture the tool you used and the front of the PTO.

Attachments

• Clutch Tool001.jpg
    Clutch Tool001.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240418_140628 (Medium).jpg
    20240418_140628 (Medium).jpg
    187 KB · Views: 0
That is the correct gauge, but the spring looks like it is compressed too much. The wear button arm does not line up with the thrust button on the pto. You can bend it if it needs to.
Did you make the bearing flush to the end of the crankshaft or maybe the set screw on the locking collar was tight. Broken snap ring?

That is the correct gauge, but the spring looks like it is compressed too much. The wear button arm does not line up with the thrust button on the pto. You can bend it if it needs to.
Did you make the bearing flush to the end of the crankshaft or maybe the set screw on the locking collar was tight. Broken snap ring?
Not sure about the bearing. I will need to look. But I think my bearing had a thin wire ring inside to keep it slight out past flush. Those two buttons never did line up as long as I have the tractor. Not sure of the snap ring you mention. Not sure if the clutch was engaged or not when I took the photo. I will take one that I know the clutch is engaged and post. Thanks for ideas on things to check.

Yes, that snap ring is there. Completely forgot about that when you ask. Both photos are of the clutch engaged.

Attachments

• 20240418_165632.resized.jpg
    20240418_165632.resized.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240418_165710.resized.jpg
    20240418_165710.resized.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Since it had slipped several times while mowing, I should take it apart and deglaze the parts. I then can check all components of the deck and mule drive for possible bad bearings. If all is OK and it still slips, I am going to install the later clutch.

How's the belt? It looks like it's riding pretty low in the clutch. If it's riding on the bottom of the groove instead of the sides it will slip. I put a new belt on an old clutch I have and it sat about 1/16 below the outside of the clutch.

Belt was new last summer. The other one tore after 3 years. There has got to be something wrong somewhere, I just am not seeing it yet.

OK, I cut the grass for this week. Tomorrow I plan on removing the deck, checking the spindles for bearing issues, remove and disassemble the clutch, check the mule drive sheaves, etc. Thought I would replace the belt tension spring while I have things apart. Anything else i need to look at?

Update: Well, I am embarrassed to say 2 out of the three clutch bolts came loose. One nut was completely off. Fortunately the disc looks OK as well as the steel surfaces. This time I will be sure to torque those double nuts. While apart I will replace both belts as they have some small cracks starting.

Update: Well, I am embarrassed to say 2 out of the three clutch bolts came loose. One nut was completely off. Fortunately the disc looks OK as well as the steel surfaces. This time I will be sure to torque those double nuts. While apart I will replace both belts as they have some small cracks starting.
There's supposed to be 2 nuts on each bolt.

There's supposed to be 2 nuts on each bolt.
Yes there were, I did not have them jammed against each other properly. One nut came completely off. Is 80 grit paper coarse enough to clean up the plate and main clutch part? Planning on laying a full sheet on a flat surface and clean up that way.

Latest posts

Back