• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1970 147

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BHAM

Bought a 147 last week with mower deck and front blade. It needs piston rings and a few other small things I can fix myself. I have a large collection of old John Deere garden tractors and I’m new to cub cadets. Any information I should know about them?

When you start it, it will start revving up and it keeps revving untill it is WIDE open not full throttle. Completely wide open. I have the motor off because I am putting piston rings in. Has anyone else had this issue?

Throttle linkage or governor is broke? Never had that issue.
The 147 came with the electric lift. Alot of those electric lifts would stop working and the owner would replace it with a manual lift.

Throttle linkage or governor is broke? Never had that issue.
The 147 came with the electric lift. Alot of those electric lifts would stop working and the owner would replace it with a manual lift.
Interesting fact about the lift. I adjusted the linkage many times. I looked at the govenor and it seems fine. The govenor spring would be my last guess.

Since you probably have it apart by now. I'd say replace the governor with a new one. Don't know the age and hours of the old (maybe original?) one. Cheap insurance policy and then carefully set the adjustment by the book upon re-assembly. After all these years it may have just come out of adjustment or perhaps a previous owner tried and failed to "adjust"?

Latest posts

Back