• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Can't start my 2180 hydro...

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ralbertina

displayname
Ray albertina
I have used 2180 hydro that I bought used a month ago. Initially, upon depressing the brake and turning the key, there was a short pause, then the starter would kick in and the engine would immediately start. Last week, I placed my battery on a 1amp smart charger to refresh the battery. This week when I went to start the tractor, I get nothing, no cranking of the engine, etc. Turning the key to the 1st position, my lights come on and appear bright, but when I turn the key to the next position, I get nothing. It's as if the brake switch is not engaging. The bbattery seems fully charged as the smart charger is registering it as such. Does anyone have any toughts on how I can diagnose further what is happening? Is there a fuse in the line I should be lookinmg for. It seems odd that this condition occured after the charging of the battery. I'm thinking perhaps it relates to the initial hesitation I was previously getting before the engine would start. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Ray,
First thing to check is the PTO switch. Try starting the engine while flipping the PTO switch off and on. If that doesn't work check safety switches. Seat, brake, neutral and whatever other safety switch it has.

Thanks Eddie. I will try your suggestion this weekend. The previous owner had bypassed the seat safety switch. Do you have a suggestion as to how best to test the pot and safety switches? Also, the tractor I have is is the 2185 Hydro versus what I previously listed in my the tag line, if that makes a difference.

Ray,
12v test light or a DVOM. If you have current going in to a switch you should have current coming out. If you can access the starter check for current there while trying to start the engine. If you have current at the starter suspect starter problem. A wiring diagram would help with diagnosing the problem also.

Thanks Eddie. I'll plan to do ohm tests on the main switch, seat safety switch and brake switch and volt tests on the battery, solenoid and starter. I'll report back what I find. Any other suggestions you have for me in terms of testing?

Start simple, put a pair of jumper cables on the starter. Use both lines Pos. and Neg. If the starter turns normal, it's good.

Back