• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New Member - Dan Stoner - Cub 102

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan, it depends on the valve..some screw all the way out...some just pull out with the packing nut...depends on where the threads are inside...the valve is your shut off....yes drain the tank....it isn't complicated at all but getting small amounts of packing in is a bit of a pain...It has to be wrapped tight to get it started in.....might be easier to unbolt the tank to work on it...
Mine screws all the way out and stops. Do you think it will unscrew further once I loosen the nut? I don't want to force it and strip it out. I'll let you know how it works out. Can't work on it until Thursday. Thanks again!

I'm back! Still working on my 102. My clutch pedal does not engage the clutch enough to get it in gear without grinding. Can this be adjusted by screwing the adjusting nut in? Or, do I have a more serious problem?

Dan, just finished replacing clutch in 128...very similar...What your saying is a bit confusing..The pedal doesn't engage clutch ,it disengages it ..With clutch pedal up the spring pressure pushes on plates to engage clutch which drives the shaft...If it doesn't disengage it could be the the throwout brg has worn into actuator plate,the teaser spring is broke,the plates could be warped.As old as the 102 is it's probable the clutch system needs to be rebuilt..It would be best to get under machine and look at parts for serious wear ,there is(if it is still there) a guard over clutch on the rear of engine which allows a good view as well..Hand operate clutch pedal( not running) and watch plates and study to see if it's moving well....I'll refer to my recent post of "replacing clutch on 128" for a guide ...Get a good breakdown of parts so you know what you're looking at...The 102 is a tad different so it may come apart a little different...Adjustment might help but it would be best to verify all the above first...good luck

Thanks Gary. I did read the manual and it explains clutch adjustment on page 51. Have you ever adjusted the clutch using the nut? I want to try this first before going any further. I did grind into gear once, and after that it appears that it's working because I could change gears without any grinding. I know, doesn't make sense. Maybe I was just lucky that it didn't grind. I'm not mechanically inclined to replace repair the clutch. I'm this far into getting this machine running properly and hate to turn back now. If adjustment doesn't work, I'll have to take it to the dealer and looking at major expense.

I have had them bind the driveshaft in the engine bushing and the don't want to stop spinning.

Dan, I have never adjusted a clutch on a cub other than one I just rebuilt and that was by measuring movements.You have a manual with instructions so try it according to manual...I still suggest looking parts over very well....Kendal has a point also...If you try to lubricate bushing just don't get near plates....perhaps you weren't pushing clutch all the way down which also activates brake rods.....good luck

I'm back! Still working on my 102. My clutch pedal does not engage the clutch enough to get it in gear without grinding. Can this be adjusted by screwing the adjusting nut in? Or, do I have a more serious problem?
I have same tractor with same problem. One forum member's advice is to snap it into gear but I was still uneasy. When warmed up 5-10 mins all went well, slipped into gear, Still I did adjust the nut by turning in.
Cheers, Jack

Thanks Gary. I did read the manual and it explains clutch adjustment on page 51. Have you ever adjusted the clutch using the nut? I want to try this first before going any further. I did grind into gear once, and after that it appears that it's working because I could change gears without any grinding. I know, doesn't make sense. Maybe I was just lucky that it didn't grind. I'm not mechanically inclined to replace repair the clutch. I'm this far into getting this machine running properly and hate to turn back now. If adjustment doesn't work, I'll have to take it to the dealer and looking at major expense.
Hi. Page 51 of which manual, please.
Jack

i have never had a cluch work but its usuay the clutch release is stuck or the the clutch needs to be replaced

Jack, no sweat,the english language gets confusing enough ....I try really hard to be clear but don't always succeed....I've got a 106 that screams when pushing the pedal but not when you let out the clutch..Throwout brg is toast but it looks like all parts have to be removed from underneath,the tunnel cover goes under the tower so I'm guessing a lot of dirt in the face working under the machine...yuk!!

Back