• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Basic Refurbish

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harry, I always liked Jim's barn...

303120.jpg

303121.jpg

303122.jpg

303123.jpg

Allen - you know, I just can't remember what his trick was, but I believe it was fairly simple. His goal was to have 2 models from each series. I know he had one of the preproduction 400 digit Originals but that was likely after these pics. These pics were before all the units were restored as well. Did you notice there is a Lo-Boy in the 2nd pic and a Spirit of 76 in the last pic?

Allen: A forklift or in pieces then put it together on the shelf? it looks like a forklift would fit and lift good in there.

They were hoisted up with a chainfall off the center stick (beam) of the roof. I spent some time there one day. Jim was a gracious host! He put the fan in fanatic!!

Harry,here on the farm the 4 Kubotas put the Cubs in the obsolete column. I do have sentimental attachment to the 73.

Mike, thanks for that info! In the bottom photo you can see the hoist near the top of the window.

I miss Jim posting. Anyone know what he's up to these days?

Sorry Kraig, no.. I haven't caught up with Jim in years now.

I heard ( taken with a grain of salt) that he got burnt out after dealing with the national club. Don't know how valid that is.

Made some time and got the carb cleaned out and then installed, also the starter/gener..

Moved to working on the driveshaft, wanted to replace the flex coupling and the fan. All was going great until I was removing the tools I wasn't going to use and smacked the fan with a ball pein hammer by accident and broke a blade off. It broke my heart and I packed it in for the night.

Mike F - hammers are always to be kept far far away from a Cub Cadet. Thought you knew that by now. Are you gonna try the Super Glue method or go for another fan?

I'll get a new one.
I mean I gave it the lightest tap and it snapped like a piece of crystal. sigh..

Harry, do you know if the end of the driveshaft is to fit inside the shaft of the pump? I imagine it does but it wasn't in but a CH.. maybe!

David S. Your screen looks very sharp. BTW.... You wouldn't be interested in a FREE 123 chassis with some extra parts? If so I'll get you some pictures. And Fancy asks, "How's Princess doing lately?"

Marlin, no 123's on my horizon!...A 147...maybe...

The Princess is glad the weather is getting nicer but she has really taken to being more of a house at!!

We really miss Pumpkin though. And the 126 project is on hold while I have my right hand in a cast and healing from some surgery.

Mike F - it's been so long since I put a drive shaft on a 169 I just don't remember. Seems to me there is a coupler that you put on the pump output shaft then the rubber rag joint and that connects to the drive shaft. I found this pic while looking for the FAQ on cork gaskets. Very good pic of the driveshaft, rag join, coupler and fan.

Now, about that fan - old ones usually crack off like crystal. New fans are usually quite flexible as I recall. (Age gets to us all). Hope you have a good set of snap ring pliers too cause that dang snap ring used to hold it in place is a tough one. Sliding a new fan onto a freshly painted drive shaft is tough too. I think soapy water helps but you have to slide it quickly into place. (Maybe I just had to much paint on my shaft).

Mike - here's the pic I mentioned below.
304130.jpg

(The pic is stolen from Charlie's FAQ No. 04, written by Gerry Ide and photos by Gerry Ide.)

Harry-

That fan snap ring isn't near as bad the others on the tractor. I think the worst is the inner grenade gear snap ring. It's all in having the right tool which in both cases is a right angle snap ring plier.

Just a rainy day comment...we're getting that system that about washed away Texas.

Wayne - do you put the snap ring on before or after you have the driveshaft installed in the tractor? I put mine on after because I didn't know if I had the fan in quite the right place. I think it's harder that way than if you have the shaft in a vice and all exposed.

Harry-

OK, how in the world would you install that snap ring AFTER the drive shaft was installed? I install it well before the shaft goes in the tractor. The original position should just be an inch or so from the "T" on the pump end. It's very easy to move it to it's final position. In a lot of cases I even wrap some tape around the shaft on the engine side of the fan in case it creeps when "fanning". I was test driving a hydro one day without the tunnel cover installed and as I looked down the fan (brand new) was creeping toward destruction. Fortunately I caught it in time and taped the shaft. The snap ring I was using may have been stressed a bit but I've had them go on nice and tight as well. Regardless, I usually wrap some tape anyway for added security.

Harry, thanks for the pic... and after much editing of this reply. Thanks for making note of charlies faq's... (#25 I think) where I found Dave Kemps notes which should be called "Everything you wanted to know about Driveshafts, But were afraid to ask!" In that tome I see he calls it the "anti-launch Pin"! So yes, the end of the driveshaft needs to reside in the rear-ends Input Shaft.

Re; the Fan, I didn't paint the shaft without the new fan. So I didn't have to worry about scratching the paint vs. sliding the fan over new paint. The clips are easy to remove with the proper tool to remove/install them.

As always, thanks to all for the input.

While waiting for the new fan, I should start doing the hydraulic cylinder and controls install.

Back