• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 28, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbdavis

displayname
Terry Davis
Kraig - thank you very much - had me scared for a bit! I'm sure it's been said many times but I really appreciate your work and contribution on this forum. Makes it possible for boneheads like me to enjoy this hobby.

brought this 129 home today, cant wait to get started making her new again.
290501.jpg

deck spindles are frozen up but does have the wood roller on it

David--nice find! The 1x8/9 series is widely regarded in our community as arguably one of the best cub series ever made!
greenthumb.gif

Now I couldn't tell from your profile, Is this your first cub? You mentioned "making it new again". Are you planning a full restoration? If you start a restoration, start a thread on the restoration and refurbish page. That way we can all follow your progress and it keeps all those related posts in one area. I'm looking forward to hearing more about this tractor and how you came to purchase it.
snacks.gif

Good luck!!!

Son took the starter/generator to a shop. They replaced the feild coils and son says its charging now.

Terry ,when i remove the head bolts ,i take a old head gasket ,and place the head bolts in them as they come out ,so you will never be wrong ,also run a tap down the holes to be sure they are clean ,David

Thanks Jim for the information. Decided just to put in the new head gaskets, clean and put the recommended oil weight in. My guess is 30 weight oil was causing the overheating. Runs like a charm again! Doesn't seem to need anything deeper. Everyones help in this forum is awesome.

David Collins

My first Cub Cadet was a 129 that I refurbished and install a loader . 129 and 149 ,169 should be tops for the best Cubs , Just saying. enjoy that Cub . efforts made will be rewarded . wfm

No Paul it's not broke.

We're just turning into another BLAH site like CCCR!

How bout we just call it quits and head over to Only Cub Cadets and visit with Roland and the guys from now on!

due to work all I got to do was walk past my cubs while retrieving a scrapper to clean out the fire box on my wood stove.

Although I do need to get busy on the 169.

a couple of weeks ago I was having starting issues and managed to drop a screwdiver that went across the positive to ground on the tractor
bash.gif

Things got very hot before I got stuff loose. I tried a few times to start it but the SG got very hot.

What did I
lazerburn.gif
burn up?

This happened to me one time when I was having trouble with a 1450 running like it should.I had worked on it 3 or 4 different times with same result.Still didn't run right.Finally pulled the engine to make sure it was in time.It was in time and this time I changed the stator.That cured my problem.I told this before but when I reinstalled the engine I didn't bother to hook up the ground wire from the engie to frame.When I started it I saw smoke coming from left side of engine.Apparently my ground was the choke cable and that will soften the bouden wire every time.

Jeff B.

Can you be more specific regarding “went across the positive to ground on the tractor”.
Exactly what positive terminal was grounded, SG, battery, starter relay, etc.? What position was the key in, off, run or start?

Jim

Jim It dropped across the battery positve and it grounded to the seat pan and possibly touched the V/R terminals really good, and I believe the key was off.

Today I hooked up the battery and it cranks fine but the F terminl on the SG got VERY HOT

Jeff,

It's possible the hot S/G was your starting issue all along........the screw driver "incident" may be coincidentally insignificant......

Steve, I have a spare s/g that came off of an O , I was thinking about starting there.

Just cranking the engine briefly made the F terminal HOT. after trying that if it still dose not start I was thinking V/R but I dont' have a spare.

Jeff,

I would take the cover off of the voltage regulator, look it over, and make sure nothing has burnt up inside.
thumbsup.gif

Jeff, check to make sure the connection is tight and not corroded. Poor connection = resistance = heat. I just had to tighten the one on my 149 last night.

Latest posts

Back