• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 24, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to different job tomorrow in Burr Ridge, Illinois. Any of you "Old Time" IH guys know what was/is there???

Lonny B, Nice straight furrows. The disc did nice job too. Did you have duals on when disking? It looks like I see a dual spacer on the furrow wheel.

Joseph D:

The correct Key Switch is a Two Terminal Switch, part #IH-403562-R2.

Hello everyone! As you can read below, I am relatively new to Cub Cadets, but I have taken to them like wildfire. I have several questions regarding some of my current projects.

I have three QL’s, a 1250, 1450 and a 1650. Each one is in various stages of resurrection and each will serve a defined purpose for me in my personal and business endeavors. As I move forward with my projects, I am getting some mixed up signals and would like to hear some feedback from the more experienced guys who have already been in to Cubs for a while. With that, may I ask you the following?

1. Are hydro’s suited for plowing and other hard-pulling applications? I have several guys here at work telling me that a standard transmission tractor is far better and that a hydro will peter out and fail. What are your thoughts on this? How well has your hydro performed and do you know of any limitations between the two? Where do the hydro’s come up short when compared to the standard drive tractors?
2. Are there any “tricks” or enhancements that I need to make to ensure maximum performance from my machines (have tons of wheel weights)? Each of the three tractors will be involved in day-to-day personal and commercial lawn work (side jobs), including but not limited to mowing (typically the 1250), plowing and disking (usually the 1650), snow blowing and pushing (1450 and 1650), land leveling and gravel/dirt work (1450 and 1650).
3. I have bought tires from Cedar Rapids Tire. Are there more reasonably priced vendors out there?
4. If I wish to run 26x12x12 true power Carlisle's, what size wheels do I need and who can I buy them from?

I’m one of those guys (Engineer turned Maintenance manager)that really get in to things and will look at a project from every direction until I get it the way I want it. I really enjoy the Cubs and really need to gain as much knowledge as possible before I dive in to these projects.

Oh, a few more questions:
- I have a leaking hydro pump on my 1650 and wish to replace it. However, I would like to upgrade to a dual hydraulic set-up so I can operate my implements with a little more ease. Do you know where I could get my hands on such a set-up? How much should I be expecting to pay?
- The 1250 will be getting an upgrade to a hydraulic lift. It is my plan to use the single hydraulic components from the 1650 and install them on the 1250. All I will need then is a ported hydraulic pump, correct? Do you have any resources and how much should I be prepared to pay?
- <font color="ff0000">belongs in the classifieds</font>
- Where are there good sources for the QL parts?

Thanks!
Dave Johnson
Wheaton, IL 601887
[email protected]

Joel K.

Yes I run duals when disking, it helps with keeping the rearend up, the narrow 6-12s will some times slip between the furrows and than you need another tractor to help pull you out, which is hard to do when there is no one else around to help. It also helps out with traction when pulling around the tandum disk with an extra 521 pounds on it.

Tom,

IH test farm and photo center was in Hinsdale. Modern day design and engineering center is in Burr Ridge

Lonny,
Did you plant the sweet corn garden just to use you cub? Its been about 8 years since my last failed garden attempt. I am considering giving the garden thing another try next year so I can use the tiller. Nothing like playing in the dirt! I just don't like weeding or watering.

Terry, if you want to grow tomatoes and/or peppers grow them with a plastic mulch. This does three things, reduces the watering, reduces the weeding and reduces the disease. The plastic reduces the evaporation of the soil moisture it also channels the rain or irrigated water to the root zone. You'll only have to weed the tiny area around the plant base. And the third thing is it reduces the disease on the tomato plants as most tomato diseases are caused by the soil splashing up on the leaves, with the plastic mulch there is little to no soil exposed to splash onto the leaves.

41329.jpg

41330.jpg

41331.jpg

David, Welcome to the IH cub cadet site on your first posting!
happy.gif

I see you already have at least 6 cubs. On your questions about th hydros & plowing. I think as long as your hydro is kept clean, full of oil & the cooling is working on it, then they are almost bullet proof. I work the heck out of all mine.

Answer on the rim size for 26-12-12 tires is this.
Some MFG now ok a narrower rim size to make installation of the tire easier I think. Some owners like the narrower and taller look. Others like the wide footprint that the wider rim width gives you. I like both depending on what I want to use the machine for. So if boils down to personal preferance & needs. One exception would be the Firestone 23º Flotation Lug tire. They definately recommend the bead to bead width of 10.5". Also most pullers use wider rims to get more rubber on the ground.
I have 3 brands of 26-12-12 lug tires on my tractors. the rim width they are on is 8.5", 9.5" & 10.5". Most people like the looks of the tires on the 10.5" width the best. Hope this helps.

The other factor in your choice may be the offset you need for your application. Not all sizes are available in every offset you might like.

Latest posts

Back