• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 21, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbartee

displayname
Norm Bartee
When I exchanged a unported hydro to a ported one, I repaired the trunion. But the 682 is still real jerky in forward & reverse. Any ideas why?

Norm B

I would check the charge pressure that the ported pump is now giving . My .02

Thanks Ken!,
I never thought about the 90 weight being to thick. The picture is great also, I have the tractor split so I could not attach the lift bar.

Paul

Let me try and get this picture to post again...sorry
230715.jpg

John: Asking prices?? Even without knowing I'm voting for the 123. I'm not even sure if the 582 classifies as a GARDEN tractor. Just looked at the LAWN tractor thread and I think the 582 belongs there.
My bad, it dark, but here's one of our 123's that has woodsplitter towing duty as I write:
230718.jpg

Back to the 123. I personally have no problem with the hydro lever -- it's the flat steering wheel that I've elected to replace with the "raised" type from the later models. Do your homework.
happy.gif

Under EDIT: Some can be parted with, some can't. Emma's a keeper.

Frank-

The 582 is most certainly a garden tractor, as it has the same direct-drive 3-speed rear that every previous gear drive Cub Cadet garden tractor has.

Thanks guys...asking price for each is in the $500-600 range (I've got my list at work, but I know it's in that range).

Is the perception of these as all collectors items common in other locations? Each of the ones I've called about I've been asked if I was a collector. My answer has been "not yet, but knowing me, it's quite possible..."

There's not a huge selection of these in North Carolina, don't know how out of line that price might be, but advice is cheaper than mistakes.

Matt: Point well taken. "Overread" 182-482 - just homed in on the B&S engine. Story? That woodsplitter behind the 123 is factory decalled Cub Cadet. Price was right and didn't realize until I got it home that it sports a Kohler engine. Icing on the cake!
happy.gif

EDIT: John: It's like buying an old used car - plan to put into it about what you initially paid. Then see what you can get at the box store (disposable) for $1000. My best advice to anyone buying one of these old Cub Cadets is you better be able to turn a wrench and like doing it...
I'm still voting for the 123.
happy.gif
happy.gif

I like turning wrenches and fixing stuff, so that's a plus, and I *have* priced the MTD stuff at the Box Store. I've gone that route before , which is why I ended up here (I've visited off and on over the past couple years before I was in the market, so it was only a matter of time).

Frank, is "emma" the hauler in this photo?

Frank, I like the log splitter, I'll have mine hitched up to my cub soon enough too, what size it it? Mines a 20 ton with a b/s 7 3/4HP engine, black (northern tool). Just need to get my drawbar for my 3 point so towin with a ball is easier than the standard draw tongue on the rear. Ill also second with what you said about the costs, I paid around six for my 149 and have easily put that into it over the years and then some. But, it weighs as much as two tin toy tractors they sell now and can out mow, pull, push, and look better than they ever could. Plus its SHAFT DRIVEN unlike my little mower with a depressing belt drive. Im also a fan of the 123, but again John, go with whatcha like!
biggrin.gif

I am not sure if anyone cares, but I was looking for the roller chain sprocket for the power shaft of a QA 42 snow blower but could not find one. I did find one at Grainger. They have pretty good assortment and I think that they cover a large geographic area.
I just thought that I would pass on the info.
Earl L

Earl: If we didn't care we wouldn't be here. Edjifucation, in whatever form, is always good.
happy.gif

Glen: This one's rated 33 ton powered by a 8.5 Kohler Command Pro (rated 8.5hp, I'm guessing?).
John: Emma is the hauler. Since I became addicted they need names -- it helps to keep track of them. Some have come, been "renovated?" and gone to new homes. Some have been pieced out. Some are here to stay. The ones that are here to stay all need "something", be it a tune up or a new seat. The 123 has a mower deck. The 582?
John: One more question before I shut it down -- is there a 149 available in your area?

While trying to get my 1650 ready to go for the winter season, I had to replace the flywheel screen and in the process found 2 motor mount bolts missing. After the engine was out, I found that 1 was broke off. No problem, I have a spare pan to put on. Pulled the pan and found balance gears. Unfortunately they have enough slop to move at least 2-3* in either direction. OK, it is not going back together like that. I have read here in the past where people have broke the top gear to remove it. I did a search in the past year and could not find it. If someone that has done this could e-mail me direct in how they did this, I would appreciate it. This engine only has 720 hours and uses very little oil if any and I do not have the funds to tear it down for a rebuild at this time. I only use this cubbie for plowing the garden, plow days, and throwing snow. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Frank, maybe you and the rest of the gang can help me decide a name for my project, Im torn between Big Bird and Ol' Yeller
1a_scratchhead.gif

Latest posts

Back