• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 20, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May I say to all THANKS!, what a great information base to help me out. thanks for the pictures and directions. I broke the gear casting in the rear-end and don't feel comfortable changing out the guts. My grandfather bought this tractor many years ago with the quickway loader and weight box on back. He filled the tires, and loaded the box with lead so I imagine a little more load than the factory thought it would have. Thanks again. Owen.

Loaded the weight box with...<font size="+2">LEAD????</font>
eek.gif

Kind of like having over 350 pounds of plate iron on the rear of an original with loader. Really hard on things.
Thanks for the hydro linkage posts, very good mind reading!!!

Owen, soooo you're saying your 147 has/had lead poisening? :eek:p

Steve, good info on the "accepted" removal method, I'll have to remember that.

Kraig:
You are right about the steering wheel, but my son likes it and I kinda told him it would be his if he showed enough intrest to rebuild it this winter. The generator/starter is locked down, probably just bearings from sitting so long. It also came with linkage and lift arm bracket for front impliment, probably not verry spendy but still a good bonus......

I saw in an old cub cadet catalog that you could buy a "dual fuel" gas tank. One side was for gasoline and the other was for kerosene. Does anybody have any information about this? I would like to know what you havr to do to make a kohler run on kerosene and if there is any performance gain. Thanks.

Jarodd

I kinda feel like an idiot asking this question... But I guess there isn't suppose to be a dumb question.

Anyway. As you might already know I am new to these Cub tractors and have a red 782. I want to change the hydrulic oil in it. And I see there is a fill plug on the back above the hitch. I didn't really see or feel a drain plug on the bottom of the casing at all. How do you do this? Just pull the hitch and back cover off and have it drain into a pan?

While I'm doing this is there anything else I should do or check? Also what type of hydrulic oil do you guys recomend using?

Also, is there a white and yellow 782? And is it different?

Thanks!

Jim, I believe there was a yellow and white 782, they would have been sold by the Cub Cadet only dealers. Red and white versions were sold by the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> farm equipment/Cub Cadet dealers. This was right around the time that <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> sold the Cub Cadet line to the newly formed Cub Cadet Corporation which later was bought by MTD. But then I could be wrong.

Ken U., care to comment here?

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on September 21, 2004)

LOL! Ryan, I've looked at that smiley a few times now and never clicked on why it has the crutches!
happy.gif

Jarrod, are you sure it wasn't a catalog for the farm tractors? The old diesels were started on gasoline then after they were warmed up for a few minutes they were "flipped" over to run on diesel. <font size="-2">I hated it when I was way out in the field taking a lunch break only to find out that I was out of gasoline in that tiny tank when it was time to start the old 450 back up. Long walk back to the fuel tank to get 1 gallon of gas just to start the tractor.......</font>

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on September 21, 2004)

KRAIG - The kerosene fueled tractors had a 1 gal. gasoline tank on them also and You started them and warmed them up on gasoline then switched to kerosene for work. Typically the engines had substantually lower compression, pre-heated the intake mixture more, ran hotter and made about 20-25% less HP than gasoline engines. Kerosene or Distallite, or Tractor Fuel was common in the late 30's and up till the late 40's then gasoline took over until diesel prevailed in the early 60's. I have an older (1978) Kohler service manual and CC parts books and I've never seen or heard anything about a Kohler or Cub Cadet equipped to burn kerosene, but I would suspect they could run on Kero. Performance would be poor however. There was LP fueled Kohlers and I think Natural Gas fueled and they played around with diesel's for a while.

I saw a Yellow and White 782 at the Walworth Co. fair a couple of weeks ago. It had a thick black stripe and a large lettered Hydro on the side with the 782 numbers. It had the CCC decal on the back too. It was hauling ice in a little trailer for the vendors. Both times I saw it it was pouring rain, otherwise I would have picture for you... :)

BTW, since Jeff E. brought it up...

This weekend is the Lake County Farm Heritage Festival.

There's an easy cure to the admission price - BRING A TRACTOR TO SHOW!
lol.gif

Don't let it be just Tom H. and myself
wink.gif

We'll be setting up late Friday afternoon/evening. So c'mon by. Not many shows that I know of with armed rangers patrolling all day and night
buttrock.gif

Weather guessers say chance of rain Friday, but sunny Saturday and Sunday.

Any pre-registration forms to fill out or can we just show up Friday with a trailer load? :)

Kraig, Jarodd
I don't know what it's for , but the Kohler Master Parts Manual list a Tank, Fuel - Gas/Kerosene, P/N 41 065 01, for a K161 - L161 engine. It is for engine Spec #'s 281254-281258, and 281260-281266. There are several carb's listed for the 161's, but none that say specificly(sp) for kerosene,

Latest posts

Back