• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 19, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbranstetter

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Brian Branstetter
Thanks, I was just disappointed that the girls and I wouldn't be able to make it out. Hope there is a good turn out with lots of pics!!

What size studs for mounting/dismounting the rear tiller would I need to get?

Speaking of plowing at night... My tractor that I plan on bringing to plow night doesn't charge right now. The wiring harness looks vintage.
also, I popped off the box for the regulator and it looks ok... maybe I'll try to swap the boxes between the 125 and tiller tractor. (do you know what the part number from NAPA is, they are clueless.) Although, I'll probably end up just bringing the 125's battery out as a back up. (How long would a good battery run lights?) Although, it is suppose to be almost a full moon, so maybe I don't need lights all the time?

CHRIS - One of the Best Nights I ever had on a John Deare was plowing with a 4020 Gas tractor pulling 5-14's in an 80 acre field a half mile long. I could make 16 full rounds in 4th gear in four hours on a full tank of gas....plowed from about 7-8 PM till almost 4 AM....was filling up to go out for tank #3 when the Boss walked out to do chores and thought I was stealing gas!
lol.gif
About a minute later Dad pulled in the driveway just getting home from work on His Graveyard Shift....Guess Mom was a bit worried about Me....fact was I was just over a half mile away from the house when I turned on the north headland every round. I only ran lights on the headlands of the field...and as soon as I got back in the furrow I turned the lights off....can see SO much better & farther without lights with a decent moon on clear nights. Plus the old exh. manifold on the 4020 would glow red & orange... Went home, slept for a couple hours...and was back at work by 8-9 AM. Like Kentucky Ken says....Sleep is just a BAD HABIT.

Chris B,

Your starter/generator might need new brushes if its not charging. Your battery will not last long with the headlights on.

Chris,
I would get 5 kohler head bolt studs. They are the correct length and grade. I am not sure where to get them.

Chris,
I am pretty sure the ones I used were 3/8-16 x 2" long. As Terry said, get 5 to put in so that when the hitch is installed you have all 3 bolts connected and doing the pulling. I remember Bryan bending his when plowing but he was only pulling from 2 studs and didn't install the one on the bottom.

Does anybody have a suggestion for removing the 8 phillips head screws (4 on a side) from the foot portion of the fender pan. I have used PB, and a hand held impact screwdriver with no luck.

I have a 126 and 147 which I use to mow and snow blow. I have arthritis in my shoulders and wrists and would like to install a larger steering wheel to reduce steering effort. Is the steering shaft spline the same as bigger tractors? Has anybody done this mod and what did you use? Thanks

Wayne, have you tried the Super Steering Box rebuild mod that's in the FAQ? Some also add a bearing at the top of the steering tube to further reduce steering effort. Kirk Engines, Inc. has the NICE 605 ball thrust bearing, steel shim washer and Nylock jam nut used for the rebuild. Not sure what bearing the guys are using on the top of the steering tube.

David, have you tried heating the screws up with a torch?
lazerburn.gif

WAYNE, Kraig - The top bearing on the steering tube is a frt wheel bearing off a Cubbie w/ 3/4" spindles I think. I know the steering shaft is 3/4" and the tube ID is 1-1/2".
Also Wayne, the spline on the CC's is totally different than full size FARMALL's. Prior owner of a 129 I sold last summer had put a small car steering wheel on it, something about 15" in dia. and it really steered easy...but there was a special hub bolted to the steering shaft, and the wheel bolted to the hub, and the hub cover Pop-Riveted to the wheel..... Got real Messy!

Dennis - Sounds like he'd been better off just leaving the stock wheel on and cable tieing the bigger wheel on top
clappy.gif

Wayne-
Along with what Kraig said about the steering box rebuild mod, I "think" the steering wheel on the Super Garden Tractors is bigger in size than a standard cub wheel, yet still uses the same size shaft and spline......I think...

This is all just a guess, so don't go buying one, then blame me when it doesn't work.
happy.gif

Maybe someone has a spare steering wheel from a "Super" laying around that they could try on a standard cub steering shaft??? Anyone?
dunno.gif

KEN - There were a LOT of "Custom Touches" to that tractor when I got it....the old piece of conveyor belt as the hood hinge was the best one!
thumbdown.gif
And the two tarp straps pulling the back edge of the hood into and Through the fiberglass cowl.
screwloose.gif
JB weld would have even worked better!

Hi guys thought I would pop in to update yall on my 147 basket case. It was 2 yrs ago when I asked if a 147 was a good buy at $150 and Charlies response was a rousing heck ya ( he is somewhat bias about those 147's hehe) well it was a project for sure that got put on hold while the CCO came back to life but since Aug I've been at it with the hope that this cub would once again be a runner.I went through some setbacks all along with this cub as I started to assemble it I soon realized what parts were never with it but continued to move forward even after getting it all back together & not getting it to run untill a new head gasket was installed. After the warm up period I retorqued the head but the dang thing wouldn't start up for me at all, I triple checked everything but still had no joy untill I replaced the new autolite plug with another one and she fired of instantly ( who would have thought) anyway heres a couple pics of the strong running 147 today.Thanks Charlie this may be my new favorite cub hehe
65295.jpg

this is 2 yrs ago, pretty sad shape
65296.jpg

after & running great
65297.jpg

he wanted to meet his older brother today as well

Thanks Don

Hello, From a new member. I would like to indtroduce myself. My name is John Kenney. I'm 36 years old and reside in Egg Harbor Township New Jersey. I'm a Mechanical Engineer by trade in the Comercial and Industrial Refigeration-HVAC field. I own a 1971 129 with a Danco loader Model#2149. And it runs well just needs a little more TLC and some new paint. This site is great what a wealth of knowledge and inforamtion here. I look foward to talking to some of you members. And also in closing Thank You Charlie for getting me straight on here.
Thanks, John

Charlie, I will I just purchased a new SD card for digital camera and will try to post on Friday. It's not as pretty as some of the members but it will be someday.

I do have the electric lift here just not installed yet as I have nothing to lift with it.There are still a few other things missing this is definately no trailer queen & with nothing to lift it will be a trail blazer hehe

I was wondering about the routing of the wireing harness as the one I replaced it with is about a foot longer, does it go under the engine to the front then up to the reg ??
Where I have it now I can't put the shield on cause the harness is in the way. I have searched with no luck so far but my searching never seems to get me what I'm after. Thanks

Latest posts

Back