• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 12, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpalma

displayname
Lewis Palma
Ouch bitten by the bug...
Harry,
pictures for your curiosity...

244675.jpg

Lewis Palma

Real Nice Trailer you have there , I thought looking at the other picture that the wheels had been painted .
drool.gif

Harry that is the trailer Charlie got with the skid steer at another yard sale . Some guys got all the luck.

The wheels mave have been supplied by a differrent vendor to IH. Look original to me.

Harry:
Section 8 page 2 of the Kohler service manual.
244679.jpg

Lewis P - can you post a pic from your brochure? IH did have a good air brush studio so what you see isn't always what you get. Also, those little plastic hubcaps can be a real pain. I never had them on a cart, but on the lawn tractors they would pop off and were a pain to get snapped on.

Gerry Ide Kide - I don't think that is the Spec No. for the 16hp K341AQS used in a Cub Cadet. I suspect that Spec number is for some type of special application. I'll see if I can get the Spec number from my son's 1650.

On the #4 cart, did the wheel vendor paint the valve stems white also?
blush.gif

Harry,

I could scan it,but I am not sure how to post it,but the keeper of the photos may have a picture of one.

Kirk,
Anything is possible.
I have seen a few others at shows with the terra tires on them.Also seen them with the 6 rib tires also.

Matt-
That's exactly how I time mine.... Which reminds me, I need to find a small degree wheel before I torque the head on and map out timing vs. point gap on the engine I'm building.

Wyatt: Google "degree wheel" .. tons of files ready to print and then paste to a piece of aluminum. This is the one I used in making a wheel for use with the Cushman engines..

If you have the head off when you are mapping, see if you can measure from the block deck to the top of the piston when it's set at 20 degrees BTDC.

Matt G - don't get me wrong now, static timing is the only method to use when you have a non-running engine. The part that bothers me is you rotate the engine by hand until the points "just" break. Is that the point when the multimeter begins to fluctuate between infinity and zero, or when it's definitely zero? And if it's zero how do you know it's exactly at the point of when the points just break? All these manual adjustments leave a very slight margin for the timing to be off, just a few degrees. You don't encounter these when using a timing light on a running engine.

Lewis P - now that pic of the underside is great. You can see the original galvanized bolts and the paint on the rims does look the same as the cart. That's a great No. 4 IH Cart. Is that a grease zerk I see on the bearing area of the rim?

Gerry Ide Kide - now, I did some checking. The 16hp used in a 1650 is a model K341AQS. The letter A in the suffix indicates a Special Oil Pan, which is required for all IH Cub Cadets with single cylinder Kohler K engines, except the Original and I'm not sure about other 7hp or 8hp units. The Spec No. for a K341AQS used in a Model 1650 is 71167a so the engine you pointed out, Model K341QS must be a special application not used in a Cub Cadet, and don't know what it would be used for. Certainly is unusual tho.

Bill Rhodes: I'm on-line today; wasn't yesterday. (Geesh, miss one day and people start asking questions, am I at work?)
smile.gif

Harry, Matt, Gerry: Good discussion on timing method. I agree with Harry that some skill is needed to interpret 12 volt lamp or multimeter readings in order to get the timing just right; I agree with Matt that it is a whole lot easier to set the timing statically than dynamically, and cheaper too, because you don't need the timing light. Dynamic setting gives you the confidence that the engine is seeing what you thought you saw at the static stage. What intrigues me about Gerry's and Wyatt's input is that either method can be literally "wide of the mark" if the factory didn't scribe the flywheel correctly.

Although everyone attests that the Kohler engine will tolerate a wide range of timing variations, it would be nice to know (and "know that you know") that what you think is 20 deg before TDC is truly 20 deg before TDC, especially when you're re-building the engine and have laid out the money for new parts.

Harry,
Yep! Don't you like the idea you can actually grease something! My #4 has them and they are excellent. Been hauling rock with it for the past couple weeks and a couple shots of grease take away that squeekiness. I like it. Heck, even my custom built trailer for my atv doesn't have them, I have to remove the hubs and roll the bearings in greast on it.
facepalm.gif

Hind sight, 20/20. DUH! Never thought of that years ago when making it.

Great find Lew!

Harry-

It's when the points just begin to break, so that's when the resistance changes from from zero to infinity. If you turn the flywheel slowly you'll get it pretty accurate.

This stuff is all in the Kohler manual, by the way
wink.gif

coffee.gif

Lewis:
On the 123 blown head gasket: No on the new bolts. Last May I cleaned the bolts, chased the bolt holes and studs, torqued everything by the book, warmed it up, let it cool, retorqued everything. This was after installing a new gasket and a head that I'd flattened using the wet/dry sandpaper and glass method.
This time, John was in a hurry, so we slapped a new head gasket on, torqued it to 40# and away they went. He just needs a couple more mowings this year!
I hate the gas tank mounting system on the 123. It would take an open-end torque wrench to do the rear 3 bolts that hold the mounting bracket. Maybe that's where a low boss head and studs should be used?
Anyway, this is John's 4th season with Rhoda and he's shown no disappointment.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Harry:
Yup, you are correct ...out of the 169 manual.. last column to the right is the 169.:
244687.jpg

One of the things that should be remembered is these timing specs are an engineer's conclusion of best setting based on fuel, load, engine condition and a dozen other attributes. These engines are by no means fragile and will tolerate a pretty wide range of settings in timing and carburetor before complaining. Its always smart to set to the manufacturers specs, but I always chuckle when the I see somebody worried about a degree of timing on a points and coil L head motor (conversely a degree of difference on a flywheel/breaker points ignition like a Briggs has can make or break (sorry for the pun) a good spark because of the multiple timing issues - the magnet has to pass the pole piece of the coil at the correct time in relation to when the points open)..

Gotta go find a fresh bag of frozen corn .... back is whacked good this time..

Just in case anyone is hot where you are today, your more than welcome to come share my ICE!
244689.jpg

And yes there's frost on the Cubs I brought home yesterday!
angry.gif

Hello everyone,this is my first forum post here. I am starting to restore my grandpas 1969 cub cadet IH 104. Ive started with the CW-36 snow thrower. I found that one of the hub bearings are bad...does anyone know if you have to change the whole hub or can you just change the bearings ?

Amy, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif
I assume you are referring to the auger axle bearing(s). If so, you should be able to change out just the bearing(s) and be good to go.

244691.jpg

Latest posts

Back