• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 09, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbeem

Ever see those pictures that have subliminal marketing messages......

262562.jpg

Charlie-
Ya got one of them, but there's still another email (ccspecialties) that must be broke.

Somebody teach Charlie how to use his email... LOL

bottom.gif

Another junk yard find lives:

262565.jpg

Running in pic, burning and leaking some oil, but driveable with no bad noises from engine. Hydro suction tube from a 1210 squeezed into place and with oil and a new filter away we went! I can buy them easier than I can sell them!!
happy.gif
happy.gif

Nice growth of moss to indicate how long she sat out.

262568.jpg
happy.gif
happy.gif

Frank, nice! About 10 years ago I had a Cadet Hydro 80 that had a similar seat.
happy.gif

262570.jpg

I'm a posting fool today. Loaded these three up for a local show next weekend. Never brought anything for the gawkers to look at.
Wish I had the loader ready to go on the 129, but they barely went on my trailer as it is.

262577.jpg

"148" 169 129

Charlie- I didn't miss the boat.... just was an earlier cruise than yours!
Shift.gif

Aw, Kraig's is bigger than mine. I guess when this seat comes off I'll park it someplace that the moss can keep growing.
Otherwise: UPS came today and this tire changer DOES work:

262581.jpg

The suggestions from this site are driving me to the poorhouse, but it's a fun ride! I hope Jeanne hires a good auctioneer.

Junk yard 149 runs well until it gets warm. I'm betting head gasket. We can do that!
happy.gif
happy.gif

My son got the video of our Jiffy Balling sickle bar mower uploaded to Youtube. You can see it here

I did learn that the shield around the PTO was very important to keep grass from wrapping around it.

Bill, I bet those are snowmobile studs. I've never tried a studded tire on a Cub Cadet. Never seen a need to as the chains work just fine. I suppose if you had lots of ice they would help over just chains.
dunno.gif

BILL - Back when I was a sophomore in college I'd go to motorcycle ice races on frozen lakes in SW Wisconsin. The bikes used those type of tungsten carbide studs on their tires and after a few practice laps the frozen ice chips would fly off the tires like snow flakes. I've also seen them attached to snow mobile tracks for running on frozen lakes too.

Drill bits for drilling through concrete and stone are made from tungsten carbide, so imagine what they'd do to your concrete or blacktop driveway when you spun a tire.

They'd probably work good if you cleared snow off a crushed rock, dirt, or sand driveway, but ANY paved surface would be scarred for life.

Thanks for the info! No plans on adding them to my tires. In my neck of the woods, we don't get a lot of snow, but it seems like every 4 or 5 years we will get slammed with feels/looks like a northern winter. A lot of folks think this is our year for it, especially with the cooler summer and much rain. If that continues into fall and winter, we will be in for a lot of snow.

I've read a lot of debates on chains, ags, etc. - I guess I've been lucky. I've gotten around great with just ag's and wheel weighs. Not much ice to deal with over the years, and when it's there - at least out on the street, it has already been chipped-up with snow tires and chains - and refrozen into a choppy surface that the ag's can get a grip on.

I just saw the studs and figured I'd ask if anyone had used or seen them on an IHCC.

Snowmobile track studs! Yikes!!! Just look at any snow-state highways where the sleds cross, they do tear the roadway surface up pretty well.

I wouldn't want my hands under the fenders!!
Shift.gif

BILL - I remember reading traction test results done by I think it was the Chicago Motor Club back when I first got my driver's license over 43 yrs ago. It compared conventional tires, snow tires, tires with tungsten carbide studs... MUCH smaller than those your posted the link to, and tires with chains. I seem to remember conventional tires being rated @ 100; Snow tires were around 150, meaning 50% more traction than conventional tires; studded tires around 200-250, and tires with chains around 1000, YES, ten times the tractive force as a conventional tire and 6-2/3rds more tractive force than snow tires, which it's been my experience are much more "grippy" than a lugged tractor tire.

Today we have many more options for winter tires. The off-topic tractors here have an available "HDAP" tire which uses a softer rubber on the tread knobs to increase traction on ice/snow. There's also dedicated "winter tires" like the Bridgestone BLIZZAK which are REAL grippy. Even my Buddy's 4WD ATV has softer rubber lugged tires and he can push mountains of snow without chains. Think he pushes a 60" wide blade with no spinning in 4WD with an 800# 4-wheeler and I spin a lot with a 6500-7000# farm tractor with lugged tires AND chains pushing an 80 inch wide blade with my frt wheels a foot in the air!

I've been stuck enough times on an inch of snow on my concrete drive with just lugged tires to know chains are the ONLY answer, but I'd sure like to see someone try a set of Blizzak's on a CC pushing snow one winter. They wouldn;t replace chains, but I'm sure they;d beat lugs all to heck. I do have a pair of P205-60R-16 Firestone Winerforce tires without studs I put 11,000 miles on a couple winters ago that are about the same diameter as the 26-12.00X12's on the back of my 982, but I have nothing to push snow with for my 982. The FS Winterforce was TireRack's 4th rated winter tire they tested several yrs ago. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=94

I think somebody with a blacktop of concrete drive should try something like the Blizzak this winter.

All this talking about plows, blowers, and snow tires has me reeling! The heat index is 104 today in STL. I haven't mowed my lawn in over 2 weeks and its starting to brown.

NIC - Yes, temp is 94 degrees here, heat index was 104 yesterday, right at 100 today, AND I haven't mowed in a MONTH, but thinking of snow does have a cooling effect on a person.

It'll be snowing soon enough...

262619.jpg

Picture from December 10th 2012.

Back