• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 08, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugly steering.....

212953.jpg

Hello Everyone-
I recently bought a 1200 and im still getting used to the difference in a IH & a MTD machine...
Anyway there is an extremly LOUD rattle when i put slight pressure in a left turn while moving, but recedes with pressure in a right turn. It isnt as loud but doesnt stop at idle or when i stop moving. Is something loose in the left steering linkage? I cant find anything visibly amiss

Hi Clark. Welcome. Experts will be along, but I'd be looking for an engine that is loose in the frame.

Clark yes welcome and it does sound like bad iso mounts for the motor, my 1200 need mounts also. grasp the engine when off and cool
and see if you can tilt or move it around. it should be firmly yet cushioned to the frame.
there is more info in the FAQ link under the sponsers banners.

well guys long time no see, ive been too busy this summer to keep tabs on the forum, however ive been keeping up with my cubs, picked up a few, added solid but ugly O to the gang with fenders not running for only $30, same day i got a freebee 1020 cadet, runs and cuts! and now tomorrow im all excited because im going to pick up my new to me 124, been looking for one for a while, now i found one with a new motor a few years back, 48" deck, and plow and chains for $350... from the crappy pics i saw i looked to have descent paint and decals, well see tomorrow i ll get pics of the whole heard and post em up!

Lucas,

I use an electric lift on a 147 for lifting a 54 inch front blade, a 42 inch snowblower, and a 10 inch moldboard plow. I don't have any problems so long as there is a good charge to the battery.

It really puts a drain on the battery when you are using the lift at the same time as the lights. But a good charging system will handle it.

MIKE Patterson - Not sure where Steve B got his running gear but Northern Tools has one in their master catalog. Maybe Kraig still has the pic but there was a small scale gravity wagon made years ago by one of the farm wagon mfg'rs that matched the running gear.

DON T. - Actually, BLUE Lock-Tight would be good enough to hold those set screws. RED works but you'll probably need some heat to remove them if you ever want to take them out.

RICHARD T. - It's just a HUNCH, but I think you'll need new bearings, retainers, & washers or races for that steering box. Also make sure the radius's on the ends of the steering worm are relatively smooth and not pitted. Without the drag link from the box's steering arm to the frt axle hooked up the assembled steering box should spin from stop-to-stop with just a flick of the steering wheel. And there should be NO up&down movement of the steering wheel & shaft. But don't set the preload on those thrust bearings too tight or the top bearing will PUSH UP out of the diecast housing. And don;t ask how I know! Those new gearboxes are $$$$$$$$$.

Dennis Frisk

Thanks for that info, I have got the loader back together and did use blue to keep the set screw in place,I`am happy to have it back working.

I`am now doing some research on a 6 kw electric boiler to replace the 60 gallon hot water tank for the in floor heat in my Cub shop. I was told that an electric boiler would be more efficient than the hot water tank I use now heating 60 gallons of water for a system that has 10 gallons in the floor.Pellets are also on my mind to reduce my electric bill.I have ask for a few quotes and will have to see what price and expected cost to operate this winter.

I am restoring an Original. Almost all painted and ready to assemble. First time for this model, it should be fun. The front tires are original and the rear is an old set of AG tires. I don't really want to buy new if I can help it, The problem is old faded white paint on the rubber. I'm asking for help. Does anyone have a suggestion of what's worked before? As always, I appreciate any input. Thanks.

Gear is a KORY 3000, a baby model of their big gravity box gears. As the name implys, it's a 3000# gear.

I had a Farm Tuff 2000# gear from Northern (the one I sold) and the Kory gear is 10x the gear that the Farm Tuff is.

Kory Farm Equipment, Manlius, IL.....sold at Farm & Fleet stores.

Steve-
Is it overspray that you're trying to remove, or cleaning up white lettering?

I've had good luck getting "whiter white" on tire letters by using SIMPLE GREEN degreaser on them. You could also try a product called "Bleach White". I think both are sold at Wally World.

As far as removing old white paint, I'd try blasting the tires with a sand blaster.

Steve Y, First I'd lightly sand the tires to get them kinda smooth, Then a good primer always helps, and try to keep the air pressure consistant if you don't the new paint will crack.
happy.gif

Home of the Plow Special

Art

I`am I the only one with a wide screen ?Have you head also on when the log in will be repaired ?

Off to work the 129 loader and see if my repair will hold up.Lots to do and the days are not long enuf lol.

Don-
Yeah, the screen is a little wide, probably because of the "ugly steering" pic Richard T posted awhile back. It's not a problem though, because my head is narrow, so it all balances out.
happy.gif

For those of you who don't frequent the Weekend Freedom Machines forum, here is what Board Admin. Mike Horn posted on Tuesday, Sept 7:

<blockquote>"At some point on September 5, 2010 the function of the cookies stored on your browsers did not function the same with the forum software we use.

Cookies are encrypted data stored in your browser settings that allow you to visit a site over and over without prompting you to enter your credentials again.

It appears that the cookie is still present and working as far as access control to the threads is concerned. The main method to test this is to see if you can see a hidden area like the corner store. If you cannot, login and then see if it is present in your topic list.

Two main issues have arisen now. The first is that in the top left of the yellow forum bar it appears that you are not logged in when it is most likely you are - look for Corner Store thread to verify. The second is that you have to provide your login information for when you post.

Other sites that use the same forum software are having the same issue so it is not just WFM.

Support for our forum software is no longer available so unless I can solve this on my own, we will have to live with the current way it works."</blockquote>

PSA

I'll be happy to send anyone the Discus source code and let you fix the problem since the writer of the program can't find it as of today!
bash.gif
}

Latest posts

Back