• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 02, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jluckey

displayname
Jonathan Luckey -*"Constant Vigilance!!!"*
RYAN-

I can't ever get the tractors at "work" do that!!!!! I wonder why????;o)

Hope all is well with everybody. I had both little ones helping me with the 123 this weekend. Had a great time.

J

Mr. Bennet about restoration of your 124.

I restored a 126 and had some of the same questions, though not all.

Good advice to get an operators and a service manual. These Cub Cadets are in reality, small tractors - and they're tough! What you can't find or buy, you can fabricate.

You were right about the battery hold down clamp. Threaded rods hook into the lower back of the battery tray and fit diagonally across the battery. They go through the retaining clamp to hold it in place. They are secured with two jam nuts. Yes, it is close to the battery terminals, but my fix was to glue old pieces of inner tube to the inside of the retaining clamp. Worked great and never had a spark.

Plenty of good restoration tips here in the forum. Good luck, and maybe you could post some before, during, and after photos of your project tractor?

John-David Reaves - Roll Tide

Building a 14 Horsepower K321 and wanted to extract more power out of it. Anyone heard of sending out the K-series camshafts to be reground for more Torque/HP by adding duration? Any information about this would be appreciated. (Good, Bad, contact info)

Bryan,
I do have the manuals, I didn't see that, I'll have to look again.

Art,
I guess, after reading some older postings, I'm really doing a refurb. I've taken most of the tractor apart. I've gotten a pretty good price on doing some powder coating, so it won't be all original. I wouldn't mind getting the hardware from a sponsor that carries the correct parts. I just didn't want to go through and try to clean up all the bolts and screw, it did't seem cost effective.

Rob N.

Check the Cub Cadet Pulling and Hot Rodding section on this forum. There are many performance enhancements that can be done, from mild to wild with these motors. Brian Miller also has a good site dedicated to building high-performance Kohlers.

Thanks Bruce, will check the sites. Didn't know if anyone had any experience running a slightly modified cam in a working tractor.

I'm thinkin the one that painted this one years ago was of Asian descent.
I didn't have a 1960 before.
93572.jpg

93573.jpg

well the weather here is wet and windy and cool 69 deg so i thiught i should get something done lol. Charlie i should have all the cubs running soon. semes to be taking some time. heres the 149 and 147 ready to go. Break is over a load a day.later Don T

93576.jpg

Thank you kindly, John-David. I'll do the inner tube trick!
Bill Bennett - Go Blue!

Well that went good ,the more I use the 147 the more I like her.will be installing the new carb as soon i take the time and let it sit. Later Don T
93581.jpg

really slow day! Hope all the cubs are out of the way of the big storm.

I've been thinking for sometime now about getting one of those Honda replants from Small Engine Warehouse for my 782 with series I engine. They are definitely cheaper and look easier to work on.

The torque curves for the Honda 18 and 24 HP look the same. Anyone know what the difference is between these 2 except for the price? Also, the torque curve for the Honda's seem higher for max torque compared to the Kohler.

I heard somewhere; Hondas are very hard to start in the winter and I mostly use my 782 for snow removal.

Guess I'm just looking for anyone with experiance to chime in, that has done this replant, and tell me if they have any regrets for doing this and wish they would have spent the extra money and repowered with the Kohler Magnium 18.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

From some posts I've read regarding the Honda transplants, I didn't see one that regretted it.

Rob Neubauer- Kohler K361 Cam - will drop right in, no durability problems.

I managed to get the springs from an old plow on to the good one after some sweating and swearing!! I was wondering is there an easy way to get the plow on without taking the plow off of the subframe? After some re-aligning and rebending I got the subframe on, and then got the plow on the subframe and some more swearing and it worked beautiful but I thought there has to be an easier way. Any ideas??

582 STARTING PROBLEMS

Having trouble with a 582 I borrowed from my brother. It is getting gas from tank to carb, but will only run (and roughly at that) if the choke is completely or mostly closed once started. If I try to open the choke, the engine sputters and dies. No matter how I adjust the idle mixture screw, it makes very little difference. It will only run with choke closed. It did this last week, but was able to get it started by pouring gas into carb and it cleared up. Any ideas on what to check for??

Thanks,

John-David Reaves Roll Tide

I think your carburetor is <u>still</u> plugged - what do <u>you</u> think??

I don't know much about the Honda twins but if there anything like their singles, they are great engines. When I graduated from HS I went to work with my uncle building houses and all of our generators and air compressors had Honda engines. Never had even the slightest problem with them. They would be started by 7AM and would run until 5-6PM with only gas breaks.

On another note, I got bored with working on the Cub shed and decided to start some work on my Cozy Cab. It is missing the front panels so I thought I would make some. I don't have access to a sheet metal brake but did have a lot of Lexan and a nice heat gun. I think it came out ok, there gonna be painted when I paint the cab.
93587.jpg

93588.jpg

Latest posts

Back