• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 02, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also hauled a big wood swing set/jungle gym for a neighbor today. Found use number 985641 for a GT with a loader...dragging big-a$$ swing set across lawn to save on back pains. Too bad there was nobody there to run the camera, it took 2 of us on the loader to hold the back end down enough to get the traction and carry the load enough to allow it to slide on the wet grass, would have made a great action shot!!!

I bought a 129 with 42" mower, weights, snow thrower and plow. It mowed great but smoked some. Despite adding oil, one day it went into a violent tantrum, then died. There is no longer any compression in the engine. Local shops all suggest (costly)repair because of its direct drive, or suggest to re-sell to tractor pullers. Any suggestions?

Dennis K,
Yea I have a suggestion, FIND ANOTHER SHOP!
129's are hydros, puller could care less to own one unless it's to pull their puller around with.

More than likely you popped a rod and a rebuild is in order or find used engine engine, that's your options.

Go to the classifieds and ask for an engine and I'm sure you will get a reply or 2.

ANTHONY O. - Part numbers on service parts were probably different since the parts I bought for production were bulk packed and service parts were individually packed and typically they would set-up a labor operation to stuff the parts in a box and any instruction sheets required and had to account for the packaging & labor. But the situation varied depending on what type of part it was also. Castings & forgings advanced in part number & suffix as they were machined at IHC. Say a casting was part number 388385R1 as I bought it and when it was machined it would become a 388386R91 when ready to assemble.

Kraig,
The roof? LOL
It's called being at an auction and some goof raised his hand and I brought'um home. I couldn't resist for 20 bucks!

$20! What ya going to build to put them on? I see a new Cub shed.
happy.gif

Lucas: Do you have any idea why you blew your new clutch? I do not want to make the same mistake. Right now I am leaning toward alumunium clutch with redone facing!

Pops

Lucas, did you have the clutch guard installed on your Cub 102?

Kraig,
For that kinda money, I'll keep'um around for extras just in case Terry B's hail moves south one of these days!
I've got plenty of room down on the farm shed wise. I just need to clear out some of the stuff from here in town. ;-P

Folks,

I've got a 149. I've just rebuilt and reinstalled the implemente clutch. It's the new style with the "brake shoe". I've having problems getting the clutch to disengage.

A quick question. Is only the brake shoe supposed to contact the clutch assembly, or should there also be contact with the "button" in the middle of the clutch?

Any other thoughts on why the clutch would not be disengaging, even with the turnbuckle adjusted to push the brake "plate" as far as it would go?

Clutch was rebuilt with a rebuild kit, following the instructions.

Thanks.

James, in order to disengage the PTO clutch the center button on the PTO clutch must be depressed.

Kraig
That may not be the case with the "brake" style clutch. Any contact with that center button wears it such that the "C" clip won't stay in the groove. I believe that only the brake shoe should touch.
JH

James
I've had two cases where mine wouldn't disengage. One was the bearing going bad and locking up. The other was I had tightened the three screws to the point that the triangle springs were contacting the end of the crankshft when pulling back on the PTO handle. In that case I moved the bearing forward about 1/8 th of an inch.
JH

Has anyone got any good ideas for a homemade drag rake? I need put down some fresh dirt and plant some grass seed in the lawn before winter. I’m thinking of moving the dirt around with the blade on my 123. It would be nice to have some type of rake to drag over it to finish it off. I also have a gravel driveway that needs to be smoothed over from time to time.

Thanks

Jerry, if only the brake shoe touches how is the PTO clutch supposed to disengage? The center button on the PTO clutch, aka "thrust button" (part#14 in the drawing), is what disengages the clutch.

39670.jpg

Brent, if you can find a length of old chain link fence it makes a good drag. If you get a long enough piece you can double it over several times for more weight. Run a piece of flat stock through it to hook up a chain or cable as a drawbar although a cable run through it will also work, BTDT.

Brent: I have used 3 different things. 1. Chain link fence, 2. Bed springs (most often) 3. Part of a old spike tooth harrow. For grass seed I like the bed springs you just want a light topping on top of your grass seed.

For leveling soil I really like the old spike tooth harrow find an old time farmer around problay got one laying on a junk pile. Got mine from Dad and he "was" an old time farmer!

Pops

Brent; I have found that a large wooden pallet works good for leveling loose soil. The rungs of the pallet will pick up a little dirt and it falls off in the low spots. It will level side to side and front to rear also. You can add as much weight as needed to the pallet to get it to pick up the right amount of dirt.

Back