• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 30, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul B and Roland B

A little more info on the charging and battery. A healthy charged battery might be closer to 12.6 Volts using a digital meter. but the main thing that would help indicate the health of the charging system is if the battery voltage changes about a volt or more from non-running to running mid throttle or so. Even a cheap analog meter should be able to indicate a 1 Volt swing.

Kraig,
a belated congrats on getting the rev to post an all time record number of posts. It must have been the moon.

S.B....The Motorbooks discount is 30% not 20% I was all excited about possibly getting a raise from them and now this........
sad.gif
happy.gif

Anyone besides myself and S.B.(possibly all 3 versions of them) going to the National Farm Toy Show this Weekend in Dyersville?? There is hints of a NEW Cub Cadet toy replica being there......

(Message edited by kupdike on October 31, 2005)

Steve B,

Any info or sketches on that areator? What did you use for tines/teeth?

JimE

Ken U. I'm going to try my darndest to be there at the Toy Show. I would enjoy being able to meet you and Steve B. (Also see the new Cub Cadet toy,too.)

JIM E. - It's the front half of a section of a jon deare rotary hoe section. There used to be another row of wheels off-set right behind that set. I built My areator from scratch....but patterned the wheels after a hoe wheel. I wanted Mine semi-mounted so I could raise it off the ground while turning on concrete. I normally run it with 300-350# of weight to assure penetration. They do pull kinda hard when weighted up like that. 2nd gear with My 72, about the same as a 10" plow, or half throttle with the 982.

Jim E.

Denny is correct....old gang style rotary hoe...and it pulls hard if you weight it up!!!!!

I built it several years ago, but just got around to adding the transport wheels.

Eventually it will probably see black/white paint like a Brinly implement......eventually......

Ken,

Dad will be there as always, I'll be there on Sat. (after a trip to Schweizerland Friday night) Chris E. may tag along as well. Steven III will probably sit this one out.....still just a little small for a trip like that...too much driving and too big of a crowd to keep him happy....next year.....

Thanks Kraig - I couldn't remember if I sent You that picture or not. I should paint it up a bit but it sits outside year-round. That large slab of steel towards the back of the areator weighs right around 150-160#. It's a shear blade for a scrap metal cutting shear that compresses & bales steel scrap. That one had a hairline crack from heat-treat so it followed Me home from work one night. ANYHOW, I can pull it with the 72 or the 982, but I really should make two more wheels for it and widen it 10-12 inches if I use the 982. It's 32" wide now with 7 wheels. I pulled it up by the shop yesterday and I need another new set of wheels for it.

What do you think this Experimental 8-16 from 1917 is hauling????
31935.jpg

I had about a 1/16" slop in the trunion on the snow machine so I fixed that up tonight.
31939.jpg

Then I weighed the pros and cons on front tires and decided to go with these since I had the narrow wheels handy.
31944.jpg

31946.jpg

Since it was still early, I decided I wasn't gonna wait for parts on the SLOPPY Hydro Lever.
I started out with this,
31940.jpg

Then I noticed the groove in the end of the shaft,
31941.jpg

So I decided to take advantage of it and take out ALL the slop.
31942.jpg

And ended up with what I think will help a bunch.
31943.jpg

Which IMHO is mucher better than this setup,
31945.jpg

Oh yea,
I had a spare set of axle tubes with new bearings and seals on the shelf so I replaced them both to stop that nasty leaking problem.
31948.jpg

Today I backed the 1450 out of the garage and noticed hydro fluid on the mower deck, think to my self (one of the check valves has finally gone bad), pulled the frame cover off and find the hydro clean. Noticed oil and dirt on the hydraulic ram, traced it to a bad hydraulic hose from the lift control to the ram. I thought no problem I have a bunch of hoses with Cub hydraulic systems I have purchased in the past for future projects.

When I checked my Cub parts stash I was surprised to find most of the hoses cracked bad. Evidently 30 some years must be the life time for hydraulic hoses. I found one that was useable for now but would never use any of them for a project or a upgrade of a non hydraulic lift Cub.

I'm sure others have noticed this too and wondered what others had done, if they bought new hoses from a Cub dealer or did they have the hoses built by a different source.

Richard C:

I had a hose on my 1450 that leaked also. I went to a local Farm Implement Dealer and had a replacement hose custom made up, while I waited. I found this was quick and less money than ordering a CC replacement. I have since found, a couple of Auto Parts Stores, in my area (ie: CarQuest), will also make up hydraulic hoses too.
thumbsup.gif

TOM - My "Guess" is Hemp. Used to make rope for the WW #1 effort.... among other things.

Roland, Charlie is a bit slow. I was a "cardboard convert" way back in 2000. :eek:)

31950.jpg

Hay all--

I hope you ordered Ken's book yesterday on the 30% discounted Halloween special. I did.

That looks to be a load of hemp in Wisconsin on the wagon behind the experimental. I did an article on fiber hemp for Farm Colector and found a bunch of pictures in the archives, and elsewhere. IH was big into it. I would post a few of the pics, but I am trying desparately to follow the rules here.

So, having said that, I need to find something to make this on topic hmmm

Ever wonder how the roller catch on the narrow-frame hoods got doped out? Here is a little insight on it.

31957.jpg

Back