• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 23, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EDWARD - The Gliptol I've seen has a shiny smooth finish on it to speed oil return in engines, etc and seal burned-in sand from the casting process so it doesn't get into the oil. The sealer used on all castings by IH has a matte finish, like red oxide primer. It performs the same sealing function, and protects iron castings from rust but I don't think it's Gliptol. Even though I delt with the contract co's that applied the stuff they never really said what it was.

LARRY C. - The original tires on CCs were 2-ply rated and two actual plies of nylon. There are reinforcing plies around the tire bead, and even high tensile steel wire wound inside the beads to give the beads strength to grip the rim tightly to transmit torque. Those reinforcing plies don't add to the ply count, only the plies that wrap from tire bead to tire bead count as plies.

A 4-ply tire would have a higher inflation pressure and be able to carry more weight like on frt tires for a loader tractor, but for everything else a 2-ply tire is plenty. The 26-12.00X12 Firestones I put on my 982 years ago are 4-ply, and they were much stiffer and harder to mount that 2-ply, and also stiffer in use, I normally run them about 4-5 PSI where my other 2-ply rear tires run 8-10 PSI. I inflate them so they get full width bar/lug contact on the ground.

I don't think cotton has been used in tire casings for 50 yrs or more, except in special cases, but the nylon GY used in their garden tractor tires acts like cotton when it ages, gets weak and flexes then breaks and the tire blows. That's why I'm switching from GY to F'stone.

BILL J. - The wear on the brass or fiber button on the manual PTO's is at it's maximum when the PTO is disengaged until the pulley finally stops. If you don't have a PTO powered attachment mounted the manual says to engage the PTO when the engine is running to reduce button wear. The manual PTO is remarkably durable, and will allow feathering into engagement, but it is possible to over-heat the fliber clutch disk & the steel & iron pressure plates, but that would take minutes of feathering, not seconds.

Not sure why you brass button wore, normally they last almost forever. Can't say I've heard anyone say they wore one out.

My old 129 would get the engagement lever out of location and spit the fiber button out every now & then, once every year or two so I kept spare fiber buttons on hand. Sometimes I had to pull the PTO lever back farther, and idle the engine down, that crack the throttle to get the clutch to release and disengage. That was a sign it was time to adjust the PTO turnbuckle.

And lastly, here's a magnetic heater similar to one I bought 30 yrs ago to warm my Kohler up for snow removal duty,http://www.amazon.com/Kats-1153-Handi-Heat-Magnetic-Heater/dp/B000BOABS6 It sticks fine to the flat bottom cast iron oil pans on the K181 & K241's I used it on. I think it'd even stick to the deep sump cast iron pan on the K321. But like Gerry says, good luck getting it to stick to an aluminum pan. KRAIG uses a similar heater on his hydro I believe.

Jeremiah C.
The first year we moved north, the AVERAGE temp for December through mid February was 26 BELOW zero. And never got above freezing for 128 days straight.
I run 10W30 Dura Guard year round in everything I own, plus a little snake oil and nothing fails to start.
The day the wife took this pic, it was 46.7 BELOW.
247758.jpg

247759.jpg

Charlie - as I said, I have the solution for that cold weather thing... gotta love the "endless summer" life !!

I use a Zero Start brand magnetic heater. David Schmidt was the first to mention (at least on the forum) the use of a magnetic heater under the hydro to warm the Hy-Tran.

247763.jpg

I place it on the flat spot under the rear differential.

247764.jpg

247765.jpg

One other thing that's rarely mentioned for the pto button wear is the wear play in the pto release lever in the dash. The contact points at both ends of the adjustment rod also offer play which can hinder proper adjustment. The bottom line is keeping an eye on the space between the wear button and the thrust button when the pto is engaged. If this space is properly maintained the fiber wear buttons will last years. I've never used a brass button nor have I ever used a braking pto so I just can't say anything from experience about those. I have never seen the need for using a brass button myself but others will strongly disagree. I can also see or imagine how the brake would last a good while but I've also checked the prices on replacement parts and wow!

If any button being used is wearing out then there is an adjustment problem for sure. Like Dennis mentioned the thrust button should only spin against the wear button for a few seconds at most.

And it should take a while for the concave shape to appear on a new fiber button on a properly adjusted system and I would guess the same for a brass button.

That's about .03 worth.

Brian,
I've used 5w-50 synthetic in my 149 for 10+ years w/o issues, as it definately helps it to start in the cold. The Hydro is still the sticky wicket in the equation, so a heater would be the ticket....

I had a similar problem with keeping the pto adjustment on my 126. My problem was caused at the turnbuckle on the pto rod, it only had one locking nut on it. Went to ACE hardware and got a lh threaded nut. When both were snugged down it removed the play and solved the problem.

Back