• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 22, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaytay

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Home of the Plow Special
Oh sure....

Steal the calendar for yourself Charlie!
bash.gif

Dean-
I hear ya, nobody likes to admit that the other color got the job done, but....

Is your dad running that Hydraulic-driven tiller that JD sold with the 318's?

If so, that's an entirely different animal than anything you'd mount on an <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Cub Cadet.

I'm not sure that long belt would survive very long being in constant use tilling 1 acre of virgin sod, either.

Matt.
Look at where the colter is set in your photo compaired to where the colter is set in Charlies photo and Jims photo.
They all seems to be set at different heights.

Yeah... its a juice drive, I think it is a simpler set up than the belt but, I have a customer that plows under a few acres every three years with the old belt drive rig behind a 1450. It just takes a day or two.

The tillers still leave clods to rake off and I'd like to eliminate that I think it is just wishful thinking.

Lonny-

Correct, I hadn't noticed that. Mine seems much higher than everyone else's. I wonder how much of a difference that makes. I also have chains for lift straps, so the plow sinks into the ground on its own, and I let the plow swing side to side slightly. The moldboard is also quite shiny.

Dean

I find it best to plow sod under in the fall, let sit over the winter, disk the crap out of it in the spring, than take the tiller to it.

But I have also been know to plow, disk, and till my garden both in the fall and the following spring for the lack of something else to do with my cubs during those times of the year.

Lonny, Charlie,

I may need to adjust the tacking a little, based on where the point is relative to the beam. I had the landside at 1" to start, but it would not dig hardly at all, 3" was deeper but tracked poorly. The soil is not hard packed and is somewhat sandy. The sod is very healthy (thick and dense), fertilized 3 times a year and watered daily from May to Oct. I was tearing up large pieces of sod, that often got stuck between the coulter and share/moldboard. I think a sharper coulter may help to actually cut the sod vs. the share tearing it.

Should I lock the plow or float it??

The Brinly Plow info I have states to lock the tractors lift, but should the plow float because of the straps? This seems logical for uneven ground. However I floated the lift and results were very poor.

I will set the land side to 1/2 to 3/4" tomorrow and see what happens and remove or sharpen the coulter.

Jim

Thank guys. The only problem with letting it sit over winter is Dad wont let it sit. He tills and rakes what he can do in a day. He refuses to use the rake on the loader, he used a 20 inch bow rake and pitch fork to do 2 and a half acres this fall after the pond got put in. The bulldozer and high hoes tracks sure made a mess.

I have seen some guys have weights on their plows. Seems this would help keep the plow in the ground, but given the plow's design it should pull it self down.

Would it be worth my time to but some weight over my plow?

Jim

Jim.

In my opion putting weights on a single moldboard plow is just not needed.
If the plow is correctly setup for the type of soil you are attempting to plow it will work as designed and pull its self into the ground.

The only thing I can thing of that would keep the plow from staying in the ground is rocks or any other hard obstical that should not be in the ground.

Jim.
If you go back to the last page of post you will see that plowing sod does not alway leave a nice straight forrow.
If I still had photos from back when I first plowed my garden you would see that I was even having a hard time keeping the sod turned grass side down.

Plow question here, I know I have seen it before. How do I tell what size plow I have, she aint no Brinly but darn close.

Charlie, you lost me with that pic, but maybe my question was not clear enough so I rephrase. How do I tell if I have an 8,10 or 12inch plow?

Todd,
You measure it.
You see where it says 14" at the top of the pic?
Or, post a pic of yours and we can tell by lookin at it.
thumbsup.gif

Mike, that is the same 122 in each picture. Here it is ready for the Plowday in Montrose, MN.
69165.jpg

Art,
Those custom painted wheels and tires on my 149 came on some Cub that my dad or myself got. They are no longer around now, they got put on the 123 that I just sold.

Charlie, I should get a calendar for posting more than once a month, just a thought.

Latest posts

Back