• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 10, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys - Just wanted to thank you all for the advice on the 122. I tightened the belt as you guys suggested and she mowed great.

Funny story, I mowed for five minutes and then the engine just quit. I checked the fuel knob and it was open, removed the spark plug, put a little gas in the spark plug hole, held the spark plug on the hole, still wouldn't turn over. Thought maybe I flooded it. Started using some harsh words (keeping in mind I had been working on this tractor for a week and a half).

I decided to open this small oval cover and looked inside...no clue what that was. Then I saw another small covering that I unscrewed...later found out they are the "points". There was some globby stuff in there so I cleaned it out but noticed a small rubber piece that was hanging there and it was missing a screw. After I cleaned it out, I reattached it and tightened the screw and wire better it started right up.

Not sure exactly how the points should look or if I am missing something. Would like to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Pic attached

322985.jpg

322986.jpg

That rubber thingy goes in the slot of the points cover to keep out water and dirt

Don, you said after it stopped and you put some gas in to the spark plug hole it wouldn't turn over? Do you mean it wouldn't start? It could be that you have a failing condenser. How long did you run it after you got it to start again? It could also just have been that the wire from the points was shorting out on the cover if the rubber seal thingy wasn't in place.
dunno.gif

Marty

I thought I had you beat when I picked up a couple years ago a rusty but running 70 with creeper and correct headlights for $75! he was a deere man and didn't like cubs.

Gerry - not sure you got ripped off. I believe you got a complete engine. Steve did say "long block". I'm thinking he probably didn't get the #30 carb (not sure how a #26 works on a 14hp), likely not the exhaust pipe and muffler, maybe not the head (not sure what Kohler considers a long block). You needed these to sell your old engine to that other guy you mentioned - and then deduct that amount from the $825 you paid.

Don P - that oval shaped piece you removed is just a cover. Some Kohler engine applications for other brand tractors require a fuel pump and that's where it mounts.

Now, about your points. I'm surprised that screw holding the points wire fell out. When installed correctly that screw gets several turns into the plastic base. It shouldn't fall out. If it doesn't tighten up then you probably should get a new set of points.

Also, I can't really tell for certain from your pics but it does look like the insulation on your points wire may be cracking away. If it is I'd recommend you get a new wire. That is a specialized wire that uses a "hook" clip on the points end, and a round clip on the coil/condenser end. The whole wire assembly is Part No. IH-385418-R91 or KH-A-231839. I believe it will come with the little rubber grommet that slips into the points cover. (Kraig mentioned the rubber grommet). Insert the rounded end of the rubber first, into the cover. I don't know if Charlie has this points wire. I can't get either part number to come up on his web site so you might have to e-mail CC Specialties (using the colorful boxes above) to see.

I also see a wire clip just hanging on the wire. That clip is supposed to be held in place with the bottom right screw on the cam cover (the cam cover is that rounded cover right next to your points in your pic). I can see your points wire has a definite 90degree bend in your pic. That bend is where the wire clip is supposed to be holding the wire.

Hydro, Mike actually mentioned the rubber grommet first...

Kraig, Mike and Don - Ok, it's to late to edit my message so to provide credit where credit is due:

Mike was 1st to mention the rubber "thingy" (grommet) that seals the wire in the points cover.

Charlie - isn't "Antenna" just southern for "In Tennessee". Sorta like when I lived down there lotta guys said they were going out to get a "piece a Ice".
biggrin.gif
Hope this didn't belong in the Garage. I'm posting another bit over there.

Back