• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 10, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digger,others what is the story with export cubs/bigger IH tractors???

Ethan K.
IH was pretty much a worldwide company back in it's day.
thumbsup.gif

I’d always figured and knew about Canada and maybe Mexico but I’d never really envisioned across the pond and beyond

Huge in Germany, France, England, and Australia

IH and McCormick were also huge in Russia too before the Czar fell out of power and the Communist's took over. There's good reason why "International" was the first part of Harvester's name after the merger. It truly was one of the first global companies in its day.

Navistar Corporate Historian, Tom Clark, and retired VP of Product Support, Vaughn Allen, were featured Harvester Heritage speakers at the 2017 RPRU in Iowa. They gave a presentation titled "Truly International-The Global Reach of McCormick, International Harvester and Navistar " which covered many of the places McCormick, IH and Navistar have and have had a presence in the world. You can view at www.harvesterheritage.org under the "Videos and Oral Histories" section.

From Hydro....
"Gerry - I've heard before Kohler had that "Spring Special" back in the day, but never how much benefit $$$ there was. How much did you save???"

Harry - I don't know if I saved anything, in today's dollars the $779 (before tax) equals $1275 today.. But - the rest of the story...
I had just the one lawn tractor and to rebuild the K301 would have cost at least $500 with machine shop hours and parts - since this was my "forever" machine and one I depended on almost daily, I opted to get it done as quick as possible and get it back to smoke free operation - note it wasn't all that bad, but there were already signs that the replacement motor program wouldn't be around much longer, so I jumped. Note that the 129 is still with me, still working 33 years after I bought it - I'm using it this afternoon to clean up. While I use a zero turn to mow these days, the 129 is still #1 in my heart.....

322969.jpg

EDIT - now I wonder if this one has the balance gears in it - I've forgotten the results of that debate..
EDIT EDIT ... This was 10 years after I bought the 129 from the original owner. I paid him $800 for the 129, a 48" deck and a push blade. The motor cost as much.... still worth it!

Gerry-I have a replacement engine from 1974. It had balance gears in it but were already gone by the time I got it. A helpful tip: Your 50” deck will not cut very well with 44” blades on it. Have an extra set of each and swapped the wrong ones.

Doug - in the past, I got at least one set of blades that were just a teensy bit too long.. Couldn't figure that noise out for a couple of minutes. Dealer said "oops"....

While digging for that receipt, came across these. If you keep a Cub long enough, you have to replace the key. I'm on my 4th one now.. number 4 is in the ignition. Still on the original switch - IH bought pretty good stuff. I think the steel colored key is OEM..

322974.jpg

322975.jpg

Gerry - you got the Spring Special Kohler in '95 for $800. Dang, I was thinking they were $1200-1500 when they were still available.

Charlie - didn't you come up with some of these engines awhile back? Sold out quick?

Gerry I,
They all had Carter Model N 26's on them and believe it or not, everyone that bought one said they fired them up and they ran perfect, LOL

In 1998, cost plus 10% for a 14hp K-321 long block replacement motor was $775........ Repowered my first Cub 129 with one!!!

Steve - two HP more for four bucks less than I paid! I got ripped off! LOL

Gerry - Maybe you'll feel better about this, I bought a factory built replacement K-241 in Sept. 1981 from the Kohler salesman that handled the IH account, complete minus PTO clutch, S/G, gas tank. It was for one of Dad's tractors. Salesman quoted $300 but I tipped him $20, so $320. Was painted 483B yellow. It just fit sitting up in the trunk of our '77 Firebird. Wife was 7 months PG with Son. Engine sat in Dad's garage till about '85 when he called me to help install it one Saturday, I got the old 10 hp and rebuilt it and put in my #72 and ran it for 20+ years. I rebuilt it again about 5-6 yrs ago, it's in the #70 Dad bought new in 1965 that wore out about 3-4 K-161/181's.

Back in the good old days, most IH dealers had a new complete Kohler engine sitting on their parts counter. Even had them in the Parts & Accessory catalog. At a slightly higher price.

Don't feel too bad.....Cost +10% usually is a noticable drop below list.....I'm sure it would have been pushing $1k full list

Latest posts

Back