• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 15, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally found the ultimate tractor...the Cub Cadet 800! Just traded for it. Of course, it's a non-runner. Of course, it dosent have the specific 800 parts...but I don't care. I've been looking for one of these for quite some time. Pics coming soon!

Wayne excellent idea, think I will use it this spring.

jeff l baker

I don`t think the 1650 has front hydraulics because I don`t see the extra control handle in his picture. I think it would have to have two to have the control of the front ports.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Great find Ryan! Looking forward to the pics.

Although I find it interesting with your post and the recent conversation about the 4 rarest cubs, and the 800 considered on of them, that our humble pulling club has 3 800's that have been stripped and cut into pullers. They all do every well also.

I've also seen a cub 800 and a 169 on the St. Louis C/L for less than $500 each recently too.

Thanks Nic. Thats a shame that they got cut up for pullers, but I guess it makes the other 2000 some even more rare. For the last few years I have been looking for the 4 most rare Cub Cadets...I finally completed it. 800, 169, 126, and 86. I wonder what number 5 rarest is...

Keith O - I agree with Jeff, the sticker in your pic is the standard HP rating sticker that Kohler put on the tin cover over the head. I believe it was used on all the AQS version engines at least those in Cub Cadets. I always loved to see the statement "Kohler Cast Iron Line". You should have 2 decals nearly appearing as one on the left side of the engine on the side of the flywheel shroud. The top sticker will be the Serial No., and the larger sticker will have the Model and Spec number and other Kohler details. It's often difficult to see and will be located down at the same level as the frame. Hopefully it's not torn off. Also, I see you are missing the rubber grommet that should be surrounding the spark plug. They are still available and very cheap. It seals the hole in the tin cover where the spark plug fits, so the air flows across the head and provides the intended cooling. Without the grommet the air flows up around the spark plug and not fully across the head. It's actually 1 item I look for to know that someone has taken pains and good care of their tractor. Doesn't mean you didn't get a good 1650, just something I like to see on them.
Also, did I miss something? I see messages discussing that you may have the front hydraulic outlets but I don't see any pics. Maybe they are confusing your profile pic with the tractor you just picked up, or am I confused and you are talking about the tractor in your profile pic?

Bill J - hey thanks for posting a pic of your patent decal. Looks like there must be a ton of different ones used on the QL series. Sure makes a 100% correct restoration very difficult.
That 122 looks pretty typical. They are certainly 1 tough tractor, and the Creeper makes it a little bit tougher.

Ryan Mc - I'm not really trying to burst your bubble, but there is a reason those units are rare. Still nice to have because of the rarity but you should be aware of why.

coffee.gif

Ryan:
thumbsup.gif

Maybe time to start looking for an Original with Serial # below 590?
happy.gif

Frank-You may have just given me a new idea...
thumbsup.gif

Harry-I suggest that you fill me in on the information of the rare 800.

BILL J. - Proto tools is now part of Stanley. Back in the day Proto was as good as any tool made. But the hand tool industry has gone thru what the food industry went thru 20 yrs ago, everybody buying up the competition and now only about 4-5 BIG players left. No room for the little guys anymore. Some brands stayed good, some turned into junk, and I can't think of a single one that got better.

Another good tool brand was S-K tools, they went bankrupt and are now back on the market. The local hardware store that sold Kubota, Simplicity, Victory motorcycles, and Miwaukee power tools also handled S-K tools, and when they were still open 5-6 yrs ago the S-K hand tools looked like Jewelery compared to the Craftsman or other brands at my local F&F. Plus they came with a pretty but HIGH price tag.

Keith Ostendorf

There was a recent discussion about the differences between a 44A and a 44C deck. I don't remember all of the differences (there weren't many), but the obvious one is the center spindle pulley.

The QL's and the 44A would use a 3/8" belt and the *82's would use a 5/8' belt with the 44C. Has your pulley been changed? I don't know if a 3/8" belt would even work in a 5/8" pulley (it might bottom out), but if it would work it would ride lower and require a shorter belt. If it would work, it would speed up the mower deck blades.

I would think that you could change the pulley to one for the 44A (use the smaller "speed up" pulley) and then you could get a belt that would fit. BUT, I admit that I do not know that this will work, but maybe someone with more experience than me can confirm.

Dennis: Some of my tools say "S-K" and others say "S-K Wayne" did they just drop the "wayne" or was there a divestiture (I think the older stuff has the Wayne on it...)

Calling to see about picking up (with help with my screwed up back) the K-341 that I plan on using in the 149 "smoker" I bought a few years ago. Still haven't heard from anyone that's put a non Cub flat pan motor in a Cub. I assume the 14 horse K321 pan will work, as the stroke is the same and I believe the base is the same. I'm guessing that the rod will be different for the Cub version (deeper dipper
1a_scratchhead.gif
...) Plan is to get the short block to the machinist before I leave for the warmer climates...

Keith, Ken is correct, the only differences we could confirm for IH built 44/50 inch "A" decks and 44/50 inch "C" decks were the width of the center drive pulley and the fact that the "C" decks had a third hole in front for mounting on the 82 Series sub-frames. (They kept the wider "A" style mounting hole for backward compatibility.) At S/N 81741 during the QL production run, the 4.5" diameter, so-called "speed-up" pulley, was introduced for the 44" decks (it does not appear to have been installed on the 50" decks).

According to the CubFAQs, if you use the 4.5" PULLEY (P/N IH-59971-C1), your belt needs to be 3/8"W X 78"L; if you use the original 5.0" PULLEY (P/N IH-117465-C1), you need to use a belt 3/8"W X 79"L. (In my experience, the longer belt will work on the smaller pulley, but you wind up at the limit of your belt tension adjustment.)
smile.gif

All the IH decks had steel runners, but IH also sold kits to install spherical wheels on the front of the deck. All the IH decks also were manufactured with the water pump style bearings; the aluminum-bodied spindle design with the replaceable tapered roller bearings was an MTD innovation dating back to at least 1987, if not earlier. MTD also made the front spherical wheels standard on all decks and added a 3/8" or 1/2" rod "handle" to the discharge side of the deck. They also appear to have added at least one "air hole" to improve airflow on the deck; I have found two holes in my 44C deck, one under the belt cover near the left spindle, and a larger one toward the rear of the deck to the right of center, if I recall correctly.

Jeremiah,

I wonder, do you think the later IH decks with the "speed up" 4-1/2" pulleys would be a 44B?

And, it would make sense that the 50 decks not need the speed up pulley as much, since the longer blade would have a higher blade tip speed anyway.

GERRY - The older history of the S-K & SK Wayne I do not know. Buy when I punch up a search on SK Wayne I get all the same results as searching on S-K.

I know there's two versions of Kohler blocks, a small and a wide version. And they each take a different pan, and the pans that fit in CC's are the smaller pan that fits on the smaller block.

If you look around there's info on putting a smaller pan on the larger block but it requires a sheet metal adapter plate and JD weld.

But if your deep sump K321 CC pan fits the block you should in good shape.

Another box of parts ordered. There is a bunch of new steel parts on the way from Aaron and crew from Xtreme Motorworks. Our sponsors are the best out there!! I might have waited too long to get them before plow day but will see.

Ordered a new front weight bracket and a new set of treads for the 782 not to mention a set of wheel weight brackets to split between our two machines. Had also planned to take the tires off of the 122 this morning and have them loaded with beet juice being it worked so well in the other tractor. Maybe I'll get it all done before work.

Ken: The "A" and "C" designations don't appear to mean much to the manufacturer, and if they had re-named the 44" deck with the 4.5" pulley, it would have been out-of-kilter with the 50" deck that kept the 5.0" pulley. I wish they had designated the later "C" decks with the "service" spindles and spherical wheels as "D" decks to distinguish them from the earlier models that lacked the features. The 44" MTD decks are designated as "358" decks on Parts Lookup as well as on the deck ID tag; whereas the earlier decks simply have the deck size as the first two digits.

247131.jpg

247132.jpg

247133.jpg

Whew, what a pain it is to re-size these photos to meet the requirements of this site!

Back