• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 08, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpalma

displayname
Lewis Palma
Maybe those holes are for hydro ventilation .

"The great hole debate goes on"

Hydro, I believe this 147 may belong to Charlie...

263516.jpg

That large hole punched in the styled fenders stiffening brace on the 1X6/1X7 and WF's was probably a construction hole for locating it in the fixture to be spot welded, plus to lighten up the rear of the tractor to increase wheel weight sales.

Not sure why anybody would oil or grease the hydro linkage, that would just attract more dirt to the linkage and accelerate wear. As if there wasn't enough oil flying around from the normal "hydro drewl" the way it is.

KRAIG - If that's Charlie's 147, I'd like to know where that pic was taken, that left rear tire/wheel is a '93-'95 F150 Lightning specific tire/wheel. So is the twin-tube rear bumper, and the tail gate is down.... could have been taken in my back yard between my house & shop any time last summer! Except SON's Lightning had Bridgestone Blizzak's on it since about 2008.

Harry: I'm ignoring you regarding the heat shield.
smile.gif

Seriously, I've been inundated with projects at work and the heat shield project found its way to the bottom of the pile; I'll try to get it resurrected this week.

Denny, photo was taken at the first Weekend Freedom Machine, Spring Tillage Day back in 2002 in Menomonie, WI. The 147 arrived in the Ford but I believe it may have gone home with Charlie. Perhaps Charlie will verify or correct me.
happy.gif

263519.jpg

BTW, good eye...

Jeff B,

I second Brian W's recommendation as I also use Akcela No. 1 Low Ash SAE 30 wt. oil which you can get from your local CaseIH dealer. It's basically the same IH No. 1 Low Ash engine oil made by Viscosity Oil that IH recommended back in the day and is specially formulated for IH gas engines and CC Kohler engines as well. It's been improved a few times since the 1970's and I've had good success with it in my three running Cubbies. It's a little pricey but a lot cheaper than rebuilding/replacing your engine these days.

Regarding the access hole in the Wide Frame fender stiffener panel, I believe its primarily to allow access to the Hydro trunnion springs so you can put a dab of grease on the trunnion end pads contact surfaces periodically and help prevent wear on trunnion arm slot. I do this at the beginning of each mowing season.

Headlights for Originals were dealer installed options only. There was a kit that dealers ordered and installed. I believe the kits contained headlights/taillight which had the shells painted federal yellow. The same headlight assembly was used on IH combines ("03" series) built at that time and would have been painted white or red. I do not know if factory installed headlights were an available option on the 70/100, 1x2/3 and 1x4/5 series models. I know that the 147 was the first CC to come standard with headlights from the factory and I think headlights could be ordered as a factory installed option on other 1x6/7 series models at that time. There were also headlight kits available for dealer installation for all models should a customer want them installed either pre or post-delivery.

facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

Charlie, I know you DIDN'T haul it in the Ford! I thought you bought that 147 at the first Weekend Freedom Machines Spring Tillage Day back in 2002. That's the question.
dunno.gif

facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

Working on my Original....the front axle bolt says in the TC-113 that a 9/16-18 bolt is what's used...bought one at the HW store...there is going to be a lot of play if I use that bolt...could somebody help me find the correct size bolt to use...#4 on the CC parts lookup under axle and connections....thanks for any help.

CHARLIE - Why wouldn't you haul one of the BEST garden tractors ever built in one of the BEST PICKUPS EVER BUILT? Down in my "Other" library in the basement, a mix of my and SON's stuff, I have a reprint of the Gen 1 Lightning Car & Driver road test with the SS454 Chevy p/u Chevy built to compete with the Lightning. The Lightning actually had better weight distribution, ie Balance than the '93 Mustang GT, and handled and stopped better... but the GT just edged the Lightning out in acceleration due to 1500# less weight. But IIRC the Lightning beat the Chevy in all but one of the 9-10 catagories they competed in. I forget what that was, but in ALL the important tests the Lightning won. Better top speed, 1/4 mile speed & ET, stopping distance, laterial G's on the skid pad, MPG, etc.

The Lightning was a REAL truck, not a toy like an El Camino or Ford Ranchero or the imported trucks. SON hauled bulk mulch, 2 cubic yards per load with his, towed trailers well over 5000-6000# many times, hauled steel, tires, junk, etc. Hauled engines to the machine shop, hauled my old 129 200 miles down to Dad's years ago when I sold it. It led a hard life the 140K miles SON put on it. And a year ago with 200K on after sitting for two years it it still rattled the siding on the house from 1/4 mile away on a full throttle launch. It wouldn't run 13-14 second quarter mile passes anymore, but it had 3.55 gears the last couple years, not the factory 4.10's, much slower out of the hole.

RON S. - According to the owner's manual, head-lights were a factory option on the 70/100's & later models. Most of the pictures in the manuals show lights on the tractors. I suspect a dealer or owner installed pkg was still available for them too.

Thanks Kraig....I needed to see a picture of the bolt .... you ALWAYS come thru.....you're the best.....thanks again

blush.gif
You're too kind.
blush.gif
I just help out the way I know how to, just like many others here help out the way they know how to. I see it as a team effort.
greenthumb.gif

There ya go, Rick.. I'm sure that anyone can take a grade 8 bolt, get it turned down to the correct OD, get the end turned to the proper OD and rethreaded at a machine shop for less than 35 bucks. And I've got a bridge to sell ya..

These parts aren't cheap to make, there isn't a huge demand and Charlie isn't making his fortune selling axle pivot bolts. You are in the restorer game - if you are expecting to take it back to hour zero coming from the factory, no changes, then you're gonna pay the price...

Just sayin'
whistling.gif

Latest posts

Back