Archive through October 08, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcurrier

displayname
Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)
Started setting up the Ashley wood stove tonight. Saw grille material:
246541.jpg
happy.gif

Edit: Thank you Brian - you saved my post from the Archive Bug!
Speaking of filing points, anything wrong with using an emery board like used to manicure fingernails with?
1a_scratchhead.gif
happy.gif

paul t
i vote tri ribs to. i have them on my 100 aswell
246544.jpg

this is before the tri ribs and with them they made it steer sooooooo much better!!

Man them 70 & 100 loog good. I sure hope mine turns out nice. Finally decided what color I'm going to use as far as the white goes on it. Does anyone know the exact color they used on the brinly atachments? I assume its the same color on the older cubs right? Not that its important to me just currious. Now I need to quit buyin more junk and concentrate on finishing my 100.

Paul. The 'ribs and ags look great on your pair.
Is that an acorn nut on the 100's steering wheel? What serial# did the 100's go with the steering wheel with the IH cap?

Brian,

I use premium gasoline with about 2 oz of MMO per gallon in my K301. I don't get any noticeable smoke, although I did when I put 8 oz. of MMO per two gallons. What is your formula, and am I using enough MMO to lube the upper cylinder and valves?

The only things that should be green and yellow are the NDSU Bison. GO Bison!

Harry, my parents bought a 125 new in 1969 when I was 8. I first started driving it the following year when I was 9. It became my job to mow the lawn and clear snow with it. It became mine in 1992. In 1993 I bought a second 125. I used both for quite a few years then 125 that was originally my parents was taken out of service around 1997. It is presently dismantled waiting to be refurbished. Both mesh grills are in reasonably good condition with no dents or holes. One of them does have a crack in it from vibration however.

I did threaten to do this a few years back...

246546.jpg

I'm sorry, I was not even thinking. I'm just so use to posting stuff on this one, I did it without hesitation and lets not be so harsh and the CC. Its not my favorite either but no reason to destroy it.

Hey Frank, no problem. My post are worth some thing after all.
err.gif

Brian W. I'm doing the same with pretty good results. The last time I had the head off, it looked pretty decent with only a small amount of build up. It really seams to show up on the spark plug, in that, it is clean with some white of the porcelain still showing and no big build up on the electrode. FWIW it only gets Kohler brand engine oil in straight 30wt.

My name is Tom Mills. I just found the CC forum. I am the proud owner of a #149 for about 20 years. Its a working tractor and not a trailer queen. I've already found a lot of info on the site and am looking forward to learning more. One question, is hytran the same no matter where you get it or should I go to my cub dealer(expensive by the quart). I just wanted to say hello and look forward to getting to know you folks. Tom

Tom M - welcome to the original and best IH Cub Cadet Forum on the internet. Glad to hear you have a 149 which I consider one of the best overall units IH ever built. Now, regarding your question on HyTran, there has been alot of discussion on here and I believe the majority of us (without taking a vote) would probably recommend Case/IH HyTran Plus available at your local Case/IH dealer.

Tom M welcome and check your local case dealer to see if they will sell the HYTRAN by the gallon from their bulk. Mine does

Paul T
Yes, the 100 has an acorn nut. It was built in Dec 63. I don't know when the 100 steering wheel changed, have not be able to determine that. All I can tell you is a TC-103 70/100 parts manual dated 7-63 only shows the acorn nut wheel for both the 70 and 100, but revision 3 of that manual (a complete revision) dated 11-64 shows both type wheels, however in the copy of the manual I have, the page the steering wheels are on says it was "issued 5-65", so something on that page changed after the earlier "Complete Revision" of 11-64 but there is no indication or annotation of any "page changes". I have owned 100's built prior to 11-64 that had the wheel with the cap, so I would guess the change took place the first half of 64 or earlier.

Brian B,

I have yet to pull the head on the Nightmare. That will be a next year's project when I tear down the machine completely for paint. I friend who is heavily into small engines will do it for me, so it doesn't frustrate me too badly.

I use CaseIH Akcela low ash oil. It stays very clear and the K 301 doesn't use any oil at all. I couldn't be happier with the way it runs.

hi Tom, Welcome!

I agree with the rest, Hi-Tran Ultra is available in bulk at most CaseIH dealers. It has a nice water absorbing feature and it seems to work well. No tractor fluid is cheap, so you might as well go for the real thing. The stuff works well.

I always liked the 1x8/9 grilles because I thought they looked the most like their big brothers of the same era...
Sorry for the baiting Kraiq, just couldn't resist it, you poor guy...
1a_violin.gif

A question on mowing. My 1450 has the wide turf tires and always seems to leave some areas under the left front tire that don't get cut as well. I have thought about tri-ribs for the front for less contact area to stop this. Any thoughts on this from anyone that uses them.

Larry - it'll be less contact area but put more pressure on it, which may be opposite of what you want. Are you sure it's not another problem? I always had an issue with the 129leaving a strip on turns if I didn't overlap enough on the turn...

FRANK C. - re: filing points, yes, you should use a points file. Emery boards, sand paper, etc. all will leave non-conductive abrasive particles on the contact surfaces of the points.

GERRY - Back 40+ yrs ago I had visions of a 45 CID HARLEY flat head in a Cub Cadet, a #70 specifically. Local H-D dealer, Reiman's H-D in Kewanee, IL had a garage full of old H-D's that could be bought cheap. Plus some said Roger was a really good mechanic/tuner... he was Evil Knievel's tuner of choice, but he had problems with my Amerachi H-D 125.... It only blew up twice in one year, 1971.

JONATHAN - Brinly attachments were painted Ford Wimbleton White. There's a paint color question in the FAQ's, IH had 901, 902, 903, and current is 935 whites. The 90X's white has to be custom mixed, only 935 is available from C/IH dealers & CC dealers.

Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum. I just purchased a CC 122 recently. It is missing the lift handle pin IH-376307-R2. Would anyone have one of these that is out of unit, so that they could give me an overall length? I have gotten a piece of stainless steel round stock and have it turned down to the correct diameter, but need to know the length. Thanks!

Larry Carter: I seem to be having the same issue with my 149 + 44A deck. I tried a closer cut, dropping the height from 3" to 2-3/8" and it seemed to help: the blades weren't "suctioning" the grass well at the 3" height. But now the deck tends to scalp on corners, or especially on uneven ground.

I have a 44C deck outfitted with Gator blades for 782. I'm going to compare how the two blade styles function. The 782 also has a spring assist, so it should help with the scalping.

Latest posts

Back