Archive through October 07, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to stir up an oil debate, But I was wondering what brand and weight others are using.

I was thinking about trying something different than what I am using now

Matthew got sold:

263512.jpg

A good thing happened today. This 149 went to a new owner last week and the buyer came in today to tell me that Matthew's very happy at his new home. It's always a worry when you part company with one of these old machines as to whether the new owner will appreciate what he's bought. In this case, we're both of about the same age and agree that in 1974 neither of us could afford (about $7,000 in today's dollars) to buy one.
Oh, I showed him where I'd written this websites www. place to go inside the ammo box cover.
happy.gif

Tom H - I looked at the hole in the frame on the 1650 below the seat pan/fender and can't see it is used for anything. Same hole/location is on both sides of the tractor.

Yep, something I never noticed but all my 1x9s have the hole on both side

I know there's nuthin' in that hole that I need to get at one my grinders.

Tom Hoffman,

Exactly correct, dealership rattle can was plenty good enough!!!

Marty,

I am 99.9% sure that the lights were dealer only options, especially considering the way Originals were crated for shipment.

To Tom's point: If the lights came out of dealer stock (possibly IH white for combine use), it was up to the dealer to paint them yellow to match.....but considering the hood of the "O" was white, I'm guessing this step was occasionally skipped due to the "utilitarian nature" of the beast, and possibly the personal tastes of the set-up man who pre-delivered the tractor at the dealer. (How many seat springs and hood orniments have we all seen installed "backwards" by well meaning folks who just didn't know better?
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
)

Thanks for the help! I found another complete working lift arm in my "save for another tractor department". So, I will be able to bring my 122 to Montrose this weekend. Not so much pressure to get the original arm repaired and reinstalled. Thanks again for the help!

Kraig, OH GREAT ONE, Keeper of the Photos - have you got a pic of a 1x6/7 where you can see that hole in the inside fender stiffener? I'm pretty certain the 107/127/147 have that hole supposedly to access and grease the hydro linkage. It may be the earlier Narrow Frame hydros that have the hole in the frame with a cover on it and when IH went to the later fender style they put the hole in the fender. I just can't remember for certain that it was to access and grease the linkage. I think IH never stopped putting the hole there when they continued with the basic style of these fenders for the wide frames and QL units.

Jeff,

I use Akcela from CaseIH. It is a low ash SAE 30 wt. oil. I find it stays quite clean and seems to work well in the Nightmare's Kohler KT 301. I have no consumption problems with this oil/engine combination. The tractor is not run when ambient temperatures are below freezing.

Schultzie,

Driving over would be the preferred method, although my 60" Haban did not come with the belt covers and I'm afraid ill poke a grease zerk through a tire. So I resort to using the cherry picker to get the front of the tractor far enough off the ground to push in from the side. But man that 5'er sure mows nice...

Most will be tired of hearing this. I use Lucas Oil 30 Plus oil in ALL my cub engines. There is a noticable difference is running. And I use full syn Valvoline in all my daily drivers.

Latest posts

Back