• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 04, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Art, it was probably me with the AC 620.
icon_eek.gif
The steering is rather sloppy on it. Actually I didn't make it crooked but I probably didn't help it any.
happy.gif

263387.jpg

Jim, you were there that day too.

263388.jpg

Kraig: My soon to be a pile of parts 149 had the brakes converted to a 8N Ford style setup with a brake arm/(pedal?) on each side (they cut almost virgin fender tin to get clearance) I often thought their intention was for steering while plowing, but now seeing the required "halfazzed" technique, which is what I employ with the 129 to mow along the ditch bank in back of the house, I realize they must have done it for plowing snow...

263396.jpg

Kraig, I remember saying to myself, "Self, WTF haven't these guy ever done this before?" I went back a few times to try to get the "bends" out of there. I was under the impression id was about speed not accuracy that day. <font size="-2">(I really think it was those darned Dear John guys)</font> BTW, who's that dapper looking guy in on the 582 in the background???

Gerry,
With some finesse with the cutting tools I think that would be a sweet setup.

GERRY - Actually, Individual rear brakes aren't as helpful pushing snow, plowing etc as one would think. Especially pushing snow, one wheel spins because it has no traction, you hit the brake to stop it from spinning, and 99% of the time the other wheel just starts spinning and no forward progress is made. Both my BIG Farmall's have individual brakes. LOTS of weight and chains is the best answer there. Or go south for the winter.

A true diff. lock works best, which in the case of a CC probably means a "Lincoln Locker" or in my case, a "Miller Locker".

25 yrs ago I got stuck in 1-1/2 ft of snow on the way home from work a half mile from our house, walked home and put more clothes on, got the Land-Lord's 4430 JD out and started out to pull my truck home. I was busting thru 3-4 ft deep drifts. The tractor was swaying back and forth side-to-side rather violently, one wheel would dig down and get footing and stop and the other wheel would spin and I'd move forward a bit, then start spinning, dig down to good footing, other wheel spin, etc. etc. etc. Took me a few attempts to lock the diff, been many yrs since I ran a 4X30 series JD, I knew it had a diff lock but they moved it from where it was on the 4X20 JD's. Once I had the diff lock engaged, both wheels pulling 100% I could bust thru 4 ft tall drifts with NO problem. I basically drug my truck home thru the snow. What was scary was most of the bigger drifts I busted thru were already back to their original height on the return trip.

This was from a couple Montrose plowdays ago; one can plow without chains but the ground must be forgiving. BTW these tires only had air in them, and they are only the 50lb plastics...

263400.jpg

Dennis - I remember my dad having to use 'em on his 8N, to steer when he'd get too big a load of gravel on the 3 point scoop on the back.. I agree, and actually most of them have a tie point to lock both rear brake pedals together, unfortunately the 149 is one to each side of the tractor...

Tom - I'll probably keep them, too much trouble to revert to the original and with a hydro, who needs brakes any way? (except to lock 'em when stopped and the engine's idling)..
devil2.gif

Tom, I do recall that you and I went back and tried to straighten out that plowing mess. I looked really bad and I think we did our best w/o getting run over by the speedsters.

That was a fun time!

Jim D , Denny
You guys have all the fun. I wish enuf guys around here had Cubs to have a plow days fun day. To plow and stand around and talk Cubs ; I could easily make a day of that.Throuble is I have Cubs but only one plow lol.

Gerry I

I have been thinking of selling the Nomad for another mc.I do like the street glide ; then I saw the new 14 Indian . Looks like the difference of a chraps man and a CUB . I think I might need feathers. I like the leather frilled bags. You only live once !

Jim, That was the best ground to be plowing withusing Lawn and Garden tractors. Nice and sandy.

Tom

Sandy soil a little moist and a polished plow would be fun for all to learn. I would put a weekend on for you guys to come over here. I bet you would not forget the trip.

Replaced the governor gear and cross shaft in my 1650 k-341 . Not sure how the po got the governor gear off the stub shaft(probably took the stop pin out for some reason). He had the points set too close also I couldn't get any power of it. Running good now. Now on to my next one. My other 1650 quit running 3 weeks ago and showed sighs of no compression.I could turn the driveshaft easily by hand. Pulled it out and the piston exploded but enough stayed together to keep the connecting rod in the bore. I guess after 34 years its due for a rebuild.

Can anyone provide me w/the measurments of this shield that is missing here on my BB36? All I had was the piece the bolts go through. A PO had cut off the rest either that or it broke off.

263419.jpg

I am making some progress here!

263420.jpg

Does any one have any wheel bearing cross reference numbers? I need a Front wheel bearing for a 109, the IH part # is IH 384881-R94 I am looking for any number this would cross reference to that I could take to our local bearing distributor store.

Chris M.
ARIENS: 05408900
ARIENS: 05416200
BUNTON: P0209
BUNTON: PL0941
CASE: C12110
Cub Cadet: 384881-R93
Cub Cadet: 384881-R94
Cub Cadet: IH384891-R94
GRAVELY: 011193
GRAVELY: 036778
GRAVELY: 037823
GRAVELY: 05408900
JOHN DEERE: AM118315
JOHN DEERE: AM127304
JOHN DEERE: AM35443
MTD: 741-0141
MTD: 941-0141
MTD: IH-384881-R94
SNAPPER: 7028722
TORO: 110513
TORO: 251-210

1650 is complete (if that's ever really possible...
1a_scratchhead.gif
), is running, moves around under it's own power. More info and pics later.

greenthumb.gif

Is there a battery that is preferred for an original cub? My last one was a napa brand. It didn't last very long.

Question about the K181 speed control bracket (the piece with the forked end): How is it secured to the throttle shaft? Mine just falls out when inserting the forked end around the shaft behind the circular thingy (with the holes), so I'm unable to connect the throttle cable. Thanks!

The speed control thingy is secured by the governor shaft nut..loosen the nut and it goes behind the round thingy .Then re tighten and it should stay in place.

Thanks Lew...Is the tension of the nut the only thing that holds it on? We thought we might be missing something...

Latest posts

Back