Archive through October 02, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HeY Matt and Kendell, I have that same problem with my 124. Im gonna put a different seleniod in and see if it works.Thanks for the tip Kendell
greenthumb.gif

Matt, does it turn over if you hook a charger to the battery? my 124 only will start if i do that and the battery is in good shape yet

KENDELL - not sure how LVL IHC did things but almost EVERYTHING We got from outside suppliers at FARMALL was painted by the supplier before shipping. Inter-works stuff from IH-EM, Canton, LVL, Memphis, etc. was all shipped raw, not even primed. Stuff that was used on current production was handled two ways, if it was assemnbled onto the tractor before it went thru the paint booth it got put on the tractor & painted. If it got put on After the tractor went thru the booth like tin work it went thru the BONDERIZOR and painted, then went to the line.
Service parts from other IH plants that FARMALL was responsible for were the BIG problem. But there was I think FOUR paint lines for different types of parts so getting some 2150 red on them wasn't a problem. We used to get it in 325 gal. totes, three sometimes four at a time. Not sure how big of "Batches" of 2150 Moline Paint Mfg. made at a time but they supplied FARMALL, E. Moline, ALL of Farmall's suppliers that shipped in red parts, probably Canton, LVL, Memphis and how many other IH plants I'm not sure.

I never actually got to visit MPM but I did deliver there several times when I drove for UPS, and I only lived about 3-4 miles from their plant. They had an application engineer that visited the plant one day a week, and He was the person who actually told Me what the paint dept. needed delivered 95% of the time. I'd call it in, and normally they'd deliver it a couple hours later.

Ryan W, Nope not yet. She's pretty quiet. I have to do a tranny transplant on her so i will keep you posted on wether or not she makes it through
lol.gif

For the Hoosiers here and others, IHCC chapter 7 is hosting a plow day in Bunker Hill Indiana next Saturday October 10th with a rain date of the 17th. Thru a friend I am told they will have some ground set aside from the 160 acres for Cub Cadets to plow. You must be a member in good standing with IHCC to plow for insurance reasons. You can join the day of the event. Plowing starts at 8:30am. Here is a link to the chapters website for those that might wish to attend and need directions. Should be a good time, I know the mile of IH tractors plowing last year was a blast. Mike
http://www.ihcin7.net/Home_Page.html

L. William Rehm,
Sounds like you're on a "hot trail" regarding the balance gears mystery!
thumbsup.gif
Keep up the good hunt!
Shotgun.gif

Ryan Wilke
greenthumb.gif

<strike>I may need to ship a K161, anyone know what they weigh ?</strike>

Got it.

I am very new to this, and I am working on a 1000 series Cub Cadet with my 14 year old grandson. I want to try to find front rims for the tractor. The spec sheet for the tractor says the front wheels are 4.80/4.00-8, but the tires say 6 x 6.50 - 8.....the question is "what size rims do I have ?

Charles, welcome!
groupwave.gif
The 4.80-8 were standard and the 16 x 6.50-8 were optional, sounds like your 1000 has the optional tires and rims.

ART - I didn't think ANYONE ever read My posts about FARMALL?!?!

Bonderizor was a caustic hot water washing machine with the last portion of the washer adding a phosphatizing rinse that etched the steel for good paint adhesion.

It was in the dept I hired into in 1976, Dept. 44 which was actually the "Welding" Dept. and other misc. assembly. My job was to wash the frt axle castings after machining, the frt axle extensions, and P/S cylinders in another washing machine, plus do some sub-assembly on the frt axle like press in two bushings and bolt on the rear pivot ball which looked all the world like a trailer hitch ball.

After about TWO DAYS I had that job down and as I got to know more of the people around the dept. I'd look over their shoulder and I actually got "Qualified" to run several other jobs down stream from My job. Best other job was assembling the power steering cylinder, the yoke it attached with and the P/S hoses. The P/S system on a 66, 86, & 88-series is similar to the system on a 982 except the big tractor has P/S. We were building 175 tractors a day at that time, the 86-series tractors came out in April or May of '76 and I started there on Friday Oct. 11, 1976. I hired in right in the middle of a WILDCAT strike. There was about 8-10 of Us that started that day, As We were walked out into the shop to Our assigned departments I bet there wasn't 250 people in the whole plant. About Tuesday or Wdnesday when We walked in with the rest of the 3500 poeple there it was QUITE a change!
The "Footburt-Reynolds" machining center that machined everything on the frt axle casting was prone to break-downs because it was OLD. When it was down more than an hour the Foreman would send Me to the Bonderizor, to hang parts on the overhead chain. There was a short area just out of the bonderizor where all the parts were painted 2150 red, then they went thru a baking oven and were removed and staged for assembly and I'd hang more parts on the chain. The Bonderizor was an hourly rate job, I got paid My average hourly wage from my normal job which was piece work, normally the more parts I ran the more I made, but IHC was NOT the place to make $$$ on piece work. We got a base rate and most of My jobs paid a Dollar or two per hundred so I was making about $8-$9/hr. At the OTHER company's plants in the Q-C's there was a base hourly wage but piece workers didn't get the base PLUS the incentive rate, Time Study, (Manufacturing Eng.) determined an operator should run so many pcs per hour and if You ran that many You made that rate. If You could make 8 hours worth of parts in 4 hours You made 8 hrs pay, Most people at THOSE plants made 12 hrs pay in about 6-7 hrs, where at IHC if I ran 150% like that I'd make maybe $1/hr more instead of 50% more. Guess that's maybe part of the reason for the premium price for that green paint.

However there have been a couple of HUGE concessions in the UAW contract at those plants. Hiring into one of those plants now gets You better medical benefits but about the same weekly paycheck as asking "Would You like to SUPER-SIZE That?" or "Paper or Plastic?"

Latest posts

Back