• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through November 26, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well when I read hydros post I knew that there would be a few more posts lol. I did notice that the Cub Kraig posted did not have an original hydro filter on it.The 125 I got here had an IH hydro filter on it with a nut fastened to the filter. Would that be needed for the 100 point inspection for a full restore of the Cub ? Cyber Monday passed here with an order to Aaron and an ebay order with me sending Charlie a Creeper I had here that needs a rebuild. I will be sending him the creeper this week.

Don T - I can only read from the Gospel, but an IH filter with a nut on it would not be correct. I believe that part would be considered "will fit" vs "as built". On the other hand, some people don't consider maintenance parts a requirement for 100 points. And by the way, if I understand the Gospel correctly a completely original as built unit will score 110 points so it's a little easier to get to 100 points than you think - although, if you use the wrong lug bolts to mount the rear wheels that would be an automatic 10 point (10 bolts) deduction.

Harry Bursell

(Don T - I can only read from the Gospel, but an IH filter with a nut on it would not be correct. )

I have to ask ? what do I have here ? Did any Cubs come to the dealer with this filter ? Or IS it a IH replacement ?

249538.jpg

can someone shed so light on this filter. It came to me on a 125 that I`am now refurbing to make another worker.I have no dought that it is an IH hydro filter and It says to add I think 6 oz and then install on the ( other side not pictured ) .It would be nice to know what is the story on it as to how it came to be used as stock or an IH replacement filter for the hydro. Someone must know I hope
1a_scratchhead.gif

HARRY - Are you sure LVL dipped "Most" parts? I almost wish Jim Steele was still around here because his Dad did paint consulting work for several IH plants, LVL included. Plus Jim worked for Moline Paint Mfg for several years who made most of IH's paints back then. I thought FARMALL's E-Coat paint system for sheet metal was the first E-coat dipping system they'd installed when it was put in around 1980/81, with the possible exception of the truck plants. And even then all the hitch parts, cast rear wheels, weights, & dual hubs were spray painted. Both red for the 86-series and black for the later 88-series. Back when I worked in the shop at FARMALL when I'd run out of work they had me hang parts on the old Bonderizer paint line for several hours. Everything from clips & clamps, the small pieces of sheet metal like cab steps and battery boxes, and even the huge hood sections were all spray painted. Even the flat top fenders for the rear of the 686/H86 tractors. The cabs came from E.Moline already spray painted. And several suppliers also bought paint and painted parts before shipping to FARMALL. Like wheels & rims. Rear rims were silver, frt wheels all 2150 red. IH Canton shipped 1-2 semi-truck loads of parts a day, and even took on a L-O-T of work from E.Moline around 1981 and all that material was shipped as bare steel and spray painted @ FARMALL.

Don T
I'm bettin the filter is just what it say's, an OIL filter for something else in the IH line, and not a HYDRAULIC filter.

Harry,
Don't be too sure on all parts being dipped, and Kraigs "O" drawbar may be correct the way it is.
249540.jpg

249541.jpg

Pictures from the Wisconsin Historical Soceity

Paul Bell
Thanks for that info . I see Charlie still sells a filter for a hydro with that same number. That is why I ask if this was oem at one time
1a_scratchhead.gif

I have seen early factory filters that had the nut.......

It is entirely possible that IH dropped the nut along the way for $$$$$, or just changed suppliers for a few years along the way....

I need to get this one removed from this parts hydro and sent off to Bryan for his collection... I need to do a Hy-Tran/filter change on one of my Cubs first so I can put an old filter in it's place to keep the hydro clean. I've only been going to do this for about 10 and a half years.
facepalm.gif

249543.jpg

Paul, I was thinking of looking to see if I could find those photos, thanks you for posting them. After looking at them again I think I may have to repaint the draw bar as the sag is flowing the wrong direction. I guess this deserves a double facepalm.
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

Don's filter and mine both have the same part number...

Don-

I'd hold on to that filter. It will make a nice addition to an IH collection. Clean it out well and stick it on a shelf. I bet 90+% of those filters are gone for good. I've never seen one with the nut attached having that part number.

Wayne Shytle

Yes I think you are correct on saving that filter. Charlie's told me to hold onto it also.
I `am getting this creeper read to send to Charlie to have him get it back in working shape. Need seals and the this small gear and I think the gears on this piece are damaged.I want to install this in my 100

249550.jpg

I think these gears are damages.Hope this can be repaired ?

249551.jpg

Don T,

Early Hydro filters had that nut on the end cap of the filter. It's an original IH filter as I've seen a few of them with the nut in the past on early 123's, 1X5's and some 1X7's. At some point IH probably changed filter suppliers and the nut became history or it was eliminated as a cost savings. I'm surprised IH didn't roll the part number suffix from R2 to R3 when it happened.

Kraig - Oh Great One, Keeper of the Photos, well I knew something was wrong in your pic. Suggest rather than removing the draw bar you should just re-hang your O and repaint the draw bar. That way you don't have to worry about removing the paint that got inside the bolt holes
happy.gif

DT, I'll bet that is from a construction piece of machinery made pre Cub Cadet use. Even though the parts #'s are the same that type of filter is/was the common kind use back in the day when hydraulics were still "new". The nut on top made it so you could really crank down on it.

Tom : yes I think IH did out source the filers.

Looking at my creeper I think gear 11 and 12 look damaged, also 6 was let sit in water and can`t be used. I see is $90.00 alone and I would still need the bearings and seals. maybe Cheaper to by one from Charlie than to repair this one. I know shipping to him and back to me would cost a few $$$ . What do you guys do for creeper parts? I don`t trust eveil bay lol.

An update on my poorly starting 147:

Plugged in a batt. charger/maintainer yesterday, left it on until this afternoon. Outside temps 40 degrees, slight wind. Overnight got down to a low of 26 (at least.) Started up on the second roll over. No problems.

Drove it into the garage for some work. Cleaned up all the grounds and connections (over voltage regulator, voltage regulator, under starter/generator, as well as the battery cables and battery with a brass brush.

Checked the points- cleaned them with a small file.

Took out the plug, checked the gap, re gapped it to .025 per the manual, and cleaned it. Rolled the engine over a few times to check the spark, looked strong from what I could tell.

Sat in the garage for about 2 or 3 hours. (unheated garage) while working.

After putting it all back together, I tried to start it up. Same result as yesterday. No go. Needed a jump (again) from the truck to get it going.

The battery says the cold cranking amps at 32 degrees F is 335. At 0 degrees F is 275. Not sure how old the battery is, but it doesn't look too old.

Plans are as follows-

New plug
Rear end heater.
Keep the battery maintainer plugged in.
Perhaps? a new battery (but hoping not) with better CCA.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back