Archive through November 24, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tteague

displayname
timothy teague
HAPPY THANKSGIVING WEEKEND TO YOU ALL!!! Thanks for all your work charlie
ihrotate.gif
guns.gif

Quite the setup, Dave!
thumbsup_old.gif

Is moisture going to bother it?
1a_scratchhead.gif

It's been a long Cub day in a nice warm cellar. A bit embarassed at the clutter, I'll post pics so some of you can say to yourselves "Hey, I'm not that bad"! (I'm used to being a bad example). Got hugs from Cathleen, so maybe there's hope!
Anyway:
249360.jpg

This was a trial run for my early Christmas present air compressor.(Ha, ha, Don T. - Jeanne didn't hide it from me). Even with the skinny yellow hose it put enough air into the air wrench to pop the PTO bearing, flywheel retaining nut and flywheel.

Here, the 5# front PTO and 23# flywheel are removed.
249361.jpg

249362.jpg

And for Harry, it's on its pedestal, all 67# as it sits, and I can work standing up! USPS requires it's employees to be able to lift 70#, I think. I don't think they'll be knocking on our door wanting to hire me.
happy.gif

Ah yes Tom...the good ole days. 25 cent wooden airplanes with firecrackers on them, or 49Cent plastic model ships with a cherry bomb floating down the brook.<font size="-2">I'm kinda suprised I'm still alive!</font> But Cubs seem a safer thing to play with lately, as long as you dont drop th S/G or PTO on your foot !

Brian; I sold them back in the early '80's. That one predates our "good one" upstairs which is 30 years old, now. One of our first major purchases as man & wife. To me, they're to vacuum cleaners as Cub Cadet is to Garden Tractors.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Frank - in 42 years, Sandy and I bought more vacuums than anything else, except TVs - I think even more than cars..
err.gif

Tom - hey thanks for posting that link to those boys in NC. I was a bit worried about the raft (barge) part, but they made it thru in flying colors.

Frank - "embarassed about the clutter"??? I envy you. My current place is built on a slab, and 1 stall of my garage is what used to be in my basement (except the 169 is there as well). If I know you at all, then you know everything is in its place, and right where it should be. I'm glad to see you got the K341 down to size and on its pedestal. We still need those pics so we can see the inerds!

To all the rest of you - I hope you all have your Cubs ready for snow. Traditionally, the day after Thanksgiving is the day to make sure you're ready - have the oil changed over to correct winter weight, mount your blade/thrower, or in some cases your front Sweepster brush. Got your chains and wheel weights installed, and especially make sure your choke cable is oiled a little so it's not sticky. The SNOW is coming.

Harry,

Where I live, we had our snow equipment ready a month ago. In fact, the day after Thanksgiving, I was using my snow moving equipment. If things get out of hand, the Cadet 268 stands ready to take over, in case the primary mover can't handle the job.

The only things that should be green and yellow are the NDSU Bison, Missouri Valley Champions. GO Bison!

Charlie: Wyatt was in Cool Cubs almost 2 hours after I was here.
happy.gif

Spent a lot of time today pulling the pulley/basket:
249391.jpg

Wet/Dry sandpaper to clean the old conn rod bearing off the crankshaft??
1a_scratchhead.gif

249392.jpg

And here's the worst part so far:
249393.jpg

Well below ring travel. Could use a little encouragement, here.
worthy.gif

Frank, didn't we have 2 or 3 blocks in a few months that had a small chunk off the bottom of the cylinder wall ? Suspect others will also say not to lose much sleep over it, looks small. Wet/dry paper may shine up the crank, but a bit of caution so you dont need to order a crank with oversized bearing. JMHO

Frank - that cylinder wall looks pretty good to me. I don't think that little piece missing should be an issue at all. Now, I am concered with the wet/dry sand paper technique. I thought the only good method was muratic acid. It wil eat that aluminum right off and leave the crank exactly as it was. Don't be breathing the fumes tho. Only takes about 30 minutes if I recall the way Jim used to do it. Then you can check the measurement.

Thanks, guys. Because of the time I've spent here, I feel like the great uncle who's volunteered to bring up a bastard nephew. I was able to get a more correct serial # to aatay.
I wouldn't have thought of muriatic acid, Harry. I'll try my Acid Magic, first.
The 1 rebuild I tried was the K321 that went to Nova Scotia in Don's Beaulah. Carquest, at my request, bored it .020 over and ground the crank .010 under. Turned out that it needed a .030 boring. Now, I'll never have another one done unless the piston goes with it.
Now I think I'll go down and take the balance gears out. They're floppy!
happy.gif

David S-
Nice job on the chute-rotator!

Frank-
The Muratic acid as Harry menions is the ticket. It will probably take 3-4 min, just make sure when you're done, you rinse the crank journal down with fresh water, then wipe the it down with some motor-oil to keep it from rusting. Also, don't do this near any tools or anything you cherish.

I've noticed the fumes will cause a wall full of tools to rust. (Don't ask how I know this...)
blush.gif

Balance gears are out. Anybody need paperweights? Does anybody still <u>use</u> paperweights?
Question, now, for a sponser (?) that deals in new ones - wtf holds those needle bearings in? My best guess is that when they're new there's not enough clearance between them for them to fall out.
1a_scratchhead.gif
happy.gif

AAYTAY: Did you get my email with the updated serial # ??
I use Q-tips on these little muriatic jobs. Lots and lots of Q-tips!
happy.gif

Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)

I would like to know just how that new weight is installed on the crank to balance the engine? Is there machining that has to be done? does one size fit all? Is it something one can do with limited tools?

I would not fret about that small chuck missing at the bottom of the bore on your 16 HP cub engine
I have a Cub engine here that Has a chunk gone also. It works great and is a great runner.

old.gif

Latest posts

Back