Archive through November 23, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys, do you guys know if a 129 or 149 hydro/trans will fit the 1400's?

Todd:
Yeah, me too... The original SG and VR are still running on my 129 - I've replaced two batteries and one set of brushes since '85. I've had to whack the VR twice when it hung a set of contacts closed (SG kept rolling when I shut the engine off). Worst problem I've had was extremely high charge, caused by loose ground wire on the battery to sheet metal strap.(start with the obvious, I found the loose ground AFTER getting the VR loose, which is a chore on a WF)..

The SG has about 1200 hours between the original engine and the replacement I put in in '95. (I sold the original engine to a friend, he was going to put new rings in and put it on his 110 - I talked to him a year ago, he said he never rebuilt it, just put it on as was, had more power than the 10 horse did new....). I figure the SG doesn't owe me anything after 1200 hours....

Kraig, do you have any pictures of the throttle cable hookup to the governor on your original? Preferably the bracket and cable clamp for the throttle cable. And also the choke cable. Thanks, Nick
beerchug.gif

I guess maybe double knock on wood for me(dont ya jink me Kendell). From what my father has told me S/G has never been opened,# of batteries no body knows. To be perfectly honest, in 35+ years this cub has had no electrical issues outside of battery replacement. Just watch, I'll go out tomorrow, and she won't start......

Scott S.
On that Cub with the battery discharging when it stands, try this.

1 Disconnect the battery on the tractor.

2 Disconnect the wire from the battery terminal on the voltage regulator.

3 With a good meter measure the resistance with one meter lead on ground and the other on the battery terminal on the voltage regulator.

4 There should be no resistance, it should be open. If you measure resistance in the high Megs it will discharge your battery.

I was able to remove the pulley from the starter generator with ease over the weekend. I put the cub back together and it is running good and awaiting more snow... Thank you to everyone who has stepped up to assist an old jarhead get his cub back in action... Happy Thanksgiving Cubers!!!

Could anyone tell me what this part is? It sure looks like the choke cable bracket for my original but it isn't. Looks the same but the hole is too small. Thanks
97349.jpg

97350.jpg

97351.jpg

97352.jpg

Nick, it IS a choke cable bracket for an Original however the cable clamp is in the wrong hole. Remove it and I bet that hole is larger. BTW, nice job on the Original!

That makes sense, I had the boy helping me take stuff apart, but he sure didn't remember how that went, cause he put the screw through the wrong hole. Oh well, I had a before picture but things weren't adding up because he must of tightened that screw up and I just assumed it was always like that. Hey, do you have a pic of where your throttle cable clamps down Kraig, Thanks again, Nick

That will work perfectly. I did have a ton of before pics, but I lost about half of them when I got a new computer. So the help is much appreciated. Nick

Matt Stetar... I don't know about any showroom pictures, but there's definitely still one in the crate somewhere! Check out this archive from the vault and scroll down a couple posts.

Archive through March 24, 2007

Here's a European dealer's show floor. I believe this was in France:

97363.jpg

Here's another European photo.

97364.jpg

NOTE the rear rims on each.

I'd bet those rear tires are a metric size as they look taller than standard GT tires.

Look at the shine on that hood!
drool.gif

will the pto from a farmall cub work in a cub cadet? If so which one? THanks,Dustin

ART - In looking at My trusty "Tire Book" that followed Me home from FARMALL My last day I worked there.... Good Year made a couple implement tires that would be about that size, a 5.00 X 15 that was 25.6" dia. & 6.1" wide, and a 5.90 X 15 which was 26.5" dia. & 6.9" wide The 6.70 X 15 was too tall I think, 28.8" & 8.1" wide. They were a lugged tire but intended for ground driven equipment.....You know.... Things where the tire lugs point backwards.
proud.gif

Dennis:
At least Art's tractor didn't make tracks like this:

> <
> <
> <
> <

or this:

< >
< >
< >
< >