• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 19, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpalma

displayname
Lewis Palma
John,
I know where one is at but it is a little far from you.Pretty sure it was sold to this guy who bought it from Bill Deturck.

My friend has an M&W mower mounted on an Original. He bought it at the Red Power Round Up in Lima, OH. It is NOS and was still on the pallet. It came with the grill screen reinforcement plates and I believe the lawn mowing guard. He still needs to install the M&W 9-speed before he takes it to shows. The unit really makes the front of the tractor nose heavy. He added four sets of weights to help hold the rear down!

If you don't mind, can I change the subject? The lights on my 104 started dimming tonight. They would get dim, but then brighten back up. Finally just stayed dim. Once I got to a spot that I could see the amp gage, it was pointing to the discharge side. Can someone point me in a direction as to what to look for that may be the problem? Thanks!

Kevin C.
When was the last time you put a new battery in?
If it were me, I'd check that first, then to the S/G and or regulator.
Have you checked the voltage coming from the S/G yet?

But then again, I have seen a loose ground mess things up as well.

Today I did get some cub work completed. the 149 got some new parts that I think will make it a better worker.

292210.jpg

next will be a new voltage regulator so I can get this cub charging again . I hate when I see the amp gauge on the discharge side .
bash.gif

Kevin C.

All of what Charlie said. Poor grounds and wire corrosion are often an issue.

I would start with a volt meter across the battery, Key Off you should get at lease 12v or more from a good battery.

Then turn Key On (no start, no lights), there should be no significate change in voltage, if at all. A significant (1v-2v or more) drop in voltage here is usually a wiring issue, somewhere.

Turn on the lights (no start) the voltage should drop initially (1v or so), but more importantly it should be steady and NOT continuing to drop. The voltage dropping over a short time (less than 2 min), battery is going or gone bad. A battery tester is always handy, a floating ball type is OK, but not great.

Start the tractor there should be an increase in voltage to around 15.5-13.5V. If there is a drop in voltage and it continues, trouble shoot the SG and wiring to it. If the voltage drops and holds, likely a voltage regulator issue.

These are simple diagnostics just to help point you in the right direction.

Jim

Willis, you should try emailing Tom, his address is in his profile. Just an friendly FYI,, NO for sale or wanted talk is allowed on the main page.

Jim P , Well I hate anything that can shock , so me and wires and such don`t mix well . all that wrenching stuff is fun. I have a no charge issue on my 149 now for to long . Now I see I need to put the bat back in and start over .
bash.gif

more questions later for sure.
Shift.gif

Jeff B

Well we all don`t know FYI ; does that mean ? if you tell it like it is , there no doubt .
or this https://www.ihcubcadet.com/Misc/Rules.html
so you know where to ask . ask away where it should be asked.

I get bad emails for C for this and I bet some other posters do to.

sorry.gif

I know he loves this .

Lets pray for all our Cub Cadet friends up in the Buffalo NY area. 8 feet of snow and counting - then changing to rain on the weekend. Roads are a complete impass and roofs are collapsing. I don't know how those people can survive, even those that do have a Cub Cadet.

To all,

My previous post has an error.

The regulated voltage from a SG should be 12.8v to 13.5 V, you can go as high as 14v.

Jim

Charlie, Jim, Thanks for the info. The battery is only a year old and the tractor is dedicated to snow removal so it's been setting for a while. It's supposed to warm up this weekend so I'll do some of the diagnosing that Jim suggested. Thanks much!

Kevin C - the way you describe your lights it sounds more likely to me you have a loose connection. Could be on the lights themselves, the ground wire, or the wires at the switch. Something that's loosing complete contact. That's what I'd check on first, then the other stuff Jim P suggests.

KEVIN - The only way you can expect a year old battery on a 40-50 yr old CC to be good is to either keep the battery on a maintainer or trickle charger, or disconnect the ground cable so the battery doesn't completely discharge.

I disconnect the ground cable on my #72, and it can set a year and start right up as soon as I reconnect the ground.

Kevin, I'm going to second what Hydro Harry wrote about a bad connection. A few weeks back I was repairing a non-charging Cub Cadet which turned out to be a bad voltage regulator. After I got that fixed I turned on the lights to see what effect it would have on the charge indicator and noticed that one of the headlights was dim. It turned out to be a loose crimp on the ground wire to that light. I also found a broken wire on another light, but I found that while changing out the regulator.
happy.gif

The little wall mount transformer style "Battery Tender Jr." units are cheap enough and a great way to make sure all of your winter use Cubs have batteries that are "topped off" when you want them to perform!

292234.jpg

Back