• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 16, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks,
With the exception of the Original all the IH Cub steering boxes are the same except for different lengths in cam & tube assembly & the tube housing.
G.L.--- Looking at the Blue Ridge Mts.

The "SUPERSTEER MOD" doesn't do anything to the gearbox....it's a totally different front axle from an MTD Cub Cadet. The axle is beefier, the spindles are larger (1") plus the steering arms are splined & clamped onto the spindles so they never egg-shape the roll pin holes. It does seem to make the tractors sit nose up just a bit depending on tire selections both front & back.

Forgot to mention, First tractor I ever heard of getting the SuperSteer mod. was Wyatt Compton's 169.... so yes, WF's can be modified. We did the mod. in My shop in about 20 minutes. Would have been less but We had to cut more threads on a tie rod.

THANK YOU !...DIGGER....YOU ARE THE MAN, AND IF NOBODY BELIEVES YOU TELL THEM TO CALL ME!
.....The breeze in blowing in tomorrow for a little shop work. I just got a 1450, it's in great shape. But needs valve job........thebigdaddy

Nate,
Whats your number.
clappy.gif
clappy.gif
clappy.gif
clappy.gif
clappy.gif

Rick,
The extra hydraulics run the attachment found in my profile.

Terry B. -

Ya beat me to it!!!
lol.gif

Years ago when I had time to work on my Cubs, I dressed up the steering shaft's with my drill press. I cut the end off a bolt with the same threads as the steering shaft, used a couple of nuts to attach the bolt to the shaft. Dropped the table on the drill press and mounted the shaft through the center of the table like this.

45887.jpg

Then used some emery cloth and a screw driver the size of the race. It didn't take much pressure and they cleaned up nice.

45888.jpg

Yeah, my SS question was unrelated to the steering box discussion, bad timing I guess.

Anyway, thanks Dennis, I thought a 169 got the mod but when I did a search all I could find was NF talk.

Nate: Quietline lovers...............

Well, me, Richard Christensen, David Kirk, Roland Bedell, and Charlie Proctor all like our QLs quite a bit
thumbsup_old.gif
There are other guys on here too that like the Quietline tractors.

149 Question
I saw a Model 149 recently at an auction. The frame had a cut-out for access to the points. I recently saw another 149 and it too had a similar cut out for the points. I have an 86, 129 and 169, but none of them have this cut out. Did some 149's get manufactured with this cut out? It looks factory on both.

Frank. My 149 doesn't have the points cutout, but I have seen this done before... depending on how the engine sits in the frame, you really don't even need it...
thumbsup.gif

I just washed and changed the oil in my 149... and finally got that D*** bead seated on my tire, took it up to 50 PSI. heard it pop in, and then let it back down to 20. Need to get a new decal set for it, and I'm gonna leave it as a 149, I priced out the complete resto kit for a 169 and it was too dang expensive... Off to the garage!

Frank,
I have a 149 with a 3/8 hole in the frame so you can get to the bottom screw on the points cover. It doesnt have any other cutouts on the frame for points access. I am sure it came that way because I bought it new in 73.

Thanks.
It turns out it is the same tractor. I did not think that there was a cut out, only the hole to access the lower cover screw.

Man I go away for a couple days and get hammered right and left!
biggrin.gif

Sooo, WTH is everyone? Taking advantage of the sunshine and warm weather!

Geez Charlie...sunshine, and warm weather..blah
lol.gif
It's spitting rain, and kinda cold here.

I'm watching the taxi cabs right now, then I'm heading to the 'cub shed' and build shelves to stack CC peices and parts on.

Charlie,
Its cause we miss you.
uhoh.gif

By the way, which one of us is left, and which one is right?
err.gif

Back