• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 15, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Doug A., yes a windbreaker cab was available for the 1861. It will likely NOT fit onto a 1250. At least not without some modification and/or fabrication of mounting brackets.

264729.jpg

264730.jpg

Don T, That Haban looks to be in good condition and yes the cutting bar should be white.

I have converted a 759-3584 windbreaker to fit a 782....I can tell you they are very different animals!!!!

BILL J. - Yes, CC rearends are stout! But I would NOT go jerking around on stuff, especially with chains, tow straps are designed for that type of use, but they still scare me. Because they stretch, if the come unhooked or break the end becomes a missle headed straight back to the pulling tractor.

I've only ever heard of ONE CC having a rear axle carrier breaking, an early 982 that belonged to the guy my QA-36 snow blower belonged to. He had a scale model of a rear mounted snow blower he made from scratch on the 3-pt of his 982 powered with the rear PTO, it was HEAVY... and he got stuck in a ditch or something and whle trying to rock the tractor back & forth to get un-stuck broke one of the die cast axle carriers.

When I built my sleeve hitch 30 yrs ago I made brackets to attach the hitch to the axle carriers. That distributed the draft force over a much larger area of the rearend, just like IH did with their full size tractors. Putting all the draft load on three 3/8" bolts is/was not the best design. Like Vince said, pullers use at least two more 3/8" bolts on the top of the rear cover. A puller's design criteria is/was different than I was trying to accomplish so my design was made to reduce loads on the whole rearend instead of maximizing weight transfer.

Not sure what the limit of draft load is on a hydro, but I've been told on a gear drive, in a "Perfect World", no slippage at ALL anywhere, the top shaft in the trans can twist in two around 15 HP. Stronger top shafts are readily available, and over-drive reduction gears also increase the HP potential of that shaft by whatever percentage the speed increase is. IH's biggest GD was 12 HP until the 16 HP 582 was built, but MTD made an 18 HP, the 1806 model, IH 3-spd w/creeper. So with less than perfect traction, the IH rearend can handle a L-O-T. The gears & shafts in that rearend look more like what you'd expect to see in a 6-cyl. car like a early Chevy II, Ford Falcon, or Dodge Dart. Some pullers do use a Dana diff in their pullers, but the weakest link is the cast iron bearing caps that hold the diff carrier inside the rearend. Aftermarket (MWSC) aluminum carriers handle the abuse of pulling MUCH better, not near as brittle.

One of the design compromises made by IH in using the CUB rearend was reducing the input speed of the transmission. On the CUB, the trans ran at engine speed, 1400 to 1800 RPM depending on the model, the GD CC has a 7:1 reduction in frt of the trans. The CUB was only rated 9 to about 12-13 drawbar HP, so the trans sees more actual torque in a GD CC than a full size CUB.

Not sure how that all compares to your off-color tractors, but if the the old 70 SON is mowing with this summer is any indication, 48+ yrs old and NEVER had a transmission part replaced... EVER.... wore out at least FIVE K161/181 engines, I'd say the old GD CC's are as durable a garden tractor as was ever built. Those homely Economy Power Kings were in the same league, but I wouldn't say they were any better.

The lift rod for 42 inch snow blade on a 149 Hydro. Any idea what the standard length is? I have one that someone gave me that is 28.5" long elbow to elbow, but it doesn't seem to give me full range.
What is everyone else using? Thanks!

Took a look at my plow. The Scarper is just under 2". If you look at the plow, there are little bumps about 7/8th" up from the Bolt holes. The scraper goes up to those as a way to take some strain off the bolts. So the Scraper can't be larger than that.

My Seat!? Oh that is funny. This machine is new to me. The previous owner took whatever metal seat he had and cut the back off it to use as the bottom It looks horrible and odd but I'll be damned if it doesn't feel comfortable.
I gotta find Tubes for the back tires. The tubes that are already in there are hacking it any more. Seem like an odd size , tubes don't seem readily available

Picture this, if you would;
Penny, one of my 123's, has been telling me all summer that she really wants a new head gasket.
Today she said "that's it". She was hooked to the woodsplitter at the time and I needed her to start but she wouldn't, it's my fault and I know it.
She got unhooked from the splitter and cranked into the CubHouse on the S/G and battery. It can be done, even with a hydro.
Fortunately, J-O (125) was ready and willing to take her place.
Too many answers -- not enough questions.
264747.jpg

As I am contemplating purchase of an incomplete windbreaker cab assly, I could sure use some detailed pictures of one as mounted on a Q/L with emphasis on the brackets. The owner seems to think there are parts missing and some assly and fab work will more than likely be required.

Are there any assly instructions and/or parts lists available that might give me a heads up on this project?

Thanks!

Len,
mine is the same length and it raises it around 4".
Is you cam stop adjusted to make the blade rise to its Max?

Frank your creeping me out with those green things

David S, In the manuals section there are instructions and pictures.

Tony H - how bout some closer up pics of your blade. I'm thinking you have a CCC version, especially since it looks like you have the newer style bolt on springs. I think CCC modified the IH design a bit - and I hate to say this, but it probably doesn't have the same amount of steel.

Denny,

I have seen a several broken axles, chipped gears, and a twisted top shaft. The twisted top shaft was on a 10hp 100 with 6x12 tires, so APPLICATION has to be the biggest factor.

You are 100% correct that even a 7hp Cub Cadet places many times more stress on the trans and rear end than the Farmall Cub did.....the 7:1 ratio on the trans input makes sure of that!

I have personally pulled the snot out of a 122 trans (19T second) in a 582 chassis (16hp Briggs) with zero issues (plowing and one or 2 sled hooks)....so they can take a lot of use/abuse.

STEVE - Yep there's a pretty good "safety factor" designed into most of those IH rearends. Back 40+ yrs ago two brothers, Bill & Perry Nord from around Prophetstown, IL used to pull tractors. I can't remember who pulled which tractor but they had a W9 International with a pair of 409 Chevy's in it, and a 55 Massey-Harris with a pair of 427 Chevies. All four engines had either BIG 4 bbl carbs, headers, etc, and later dual quads, but I'm sure the trans & rearends were pretty much stock. You compare the HP potential of a 335 or even 350 CID 4-cyl running 1500 RPM with a PAIR of 409's running 5000-6000 RPM and it's pretty HUGE.

And the old F-20's & F-30's were even more impressively over-built. Stock they had either a 221 CID 4 running 1200 RPM or a 283 CID 4 running 1150 EPM. When pulling it wasn't unusual to see them with a 426 super-charged HEMI.

Not hard to see why my "Super Garden Tractor" will have an old IH trans & rearend. With a trans/rearend capable of living with 16 drawbar & 18 PTO HP I should be fine with anything under a 100 HP in my home-made SGT. Hope it looks as nice as the Cub Lo-Boy 154 that was at RPRU down in Penfield yrs ago with the Boss 302 Ford V8 in it! As Don Vogt says, "Never enough Horse Power!"

Just wondering if anyone has seen any more work that Robert Rock (Pewamo, MI) a member here has done other than this tractor? I see he had posted a link to a Facebook page at one time, but it isn't any good anymore (I don't belong to Facebook either).

264761.jpg

I'd like to get more information on it and how he built it. I read one little blurp on it about using Case parts to make it work. I think it would be neat to see more of these showing the Cub colours and designs!

Keeping on topic....
How many of you's have your snow blowers hooked up and ready to rip? I dug out my walk behind Cub, still need to hook up the tractor mount one yet. Was 10'C here yesterday with sunny skys, no Cub time yesterday, too nice NOT to cut wood. Looking kinda rainy though today, supposed to cool down first part of the week, possible snow flurries. Yikes!

Charlie - "in seconds"??? hmmm, might be seconds to detach, but otherwise I think that's pretty good IH marketing.

Latest posts

Back